Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-14, 08:47 PM  
firmaniac

...I would do step every single day if my heels would let me! As years have passed, I limit myself to about once a week and have lowered my step to 6 inches. But I love it best for cardio days. I have kept all my basic videos (Kari Anderson Go, The FIRM collection, Tracie Long Step Forward, basic Cathe, Kathy Smith) and let go of Cathe and my CIA titles. My brain just cannot concentrate like it used to, and I need to have 'easy mental fun' on step days. Love reading what everyone else loves to do!

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 08:49 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I need to get rid of mine. I used to love it but lost interest a couple of years ago and I'm not sure I could get through something like that anyway. But I feel for those of you who love it because it does seem to be hard to find these days.
Old 12-11-14, 09:37 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
Has anyone tried Marc-Oliver Kluike or Caroline Mervielde (Evolution instructors)? The clips I've seen look good, and I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions? I have been keeping an eye out for used copies of these.
I have both of these and they are both lots of fun in my opinion. Mind you, neither one is basic choreography, so if you are one who likes it simple you might not enjoy. They are both excellent instructors and cue very well. I recommend!
Old 12-11-14, 10:05 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Thanks Nora. They sound great. I like complex choreography (I am not good at it, mind you, and I takes me a long time to learn it, but I still enjoy it). I have tried and like Rebecca Small, Marcus Irwin, and Steve Boedt from the Evolution line, so I have an idea of what to expect. I just wish they were more readily available, but they do pop up on eBay and Amazon periodically. I think some overseas companies sell them as well.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 10:12 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Paula - Kudos to you, complex choreography frustrates me greatly! I am really enjoying the KCM dvd you sent me. It's the perfect pace and complexity for me.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 10:25 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Pam - I am so glad you like the DVD. I may put that one on my radar. I like all types of step.

I do get frustrated by choreography, but I've learned over the years that I am not a natural at it and I now accept that it will take me a while to learn a new routine. I just learn it one piece at a time, starting as a warm-up or cool-down to my 'real' workout, until I have mastered enough to string together a few combos at a time. I get a real sense of satisfaction once I finally nail it.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 11:39 PM  
susand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
I'd done hours of step back in the day, so many many hours per week over a number of years (floorwork had also been done, but not heavily) I'd killed my feet.

... I'd wanted to teach Seniors Step ...

With plantar fasciitis and heel spur on both feet for over 17 years, I am interested in the BOSU answer to (lower to lowest-impact) Step, and curious about any others.
interesting question tina I would like to know this as well.
susand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-14, 06:43 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

For me personally, the bosu is harder on my feet and joints than the step. That's why I didn't do the bosu step routines very often.
Old 12-12-14, 07:31 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I used to be a big stepper and have been rediscovering it lately after several years of mostly walking and running for cardio. I find that my feet, which have been aching terribly for years, ache LESS doing step than walking. (I don't know what is wrong with my feet except that walking 4 miles makes them ache more than running 4 miles so it isn't an impact issue.)

Just this week I pulled out Petra's The Last Step, which I've had in shrink wrap for AGES, and attempted it. It was a bit of a train wreck, as my ability to follow choreography has atrophied significantly!! --but a lot of fun.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-14, 07:46 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Oh wow - I haven't stepped in years. I used to step almost exclusively, but the most step I've done is The Firm which is absolutely no comparison to an actual step workout. Hmmm. I don't think I've even done that this year. As I've gotten older, I have less and less tolerance for TIFTTing and can't get through much of a step workout.

I take that back. I probably pull out Christi Taylor's Step Heaven every year or so and do Stage 2 - one of the great accomplishments of my life!
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite step, keli roberts, step, step aerobics