Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-17, 08:45 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I'm 61. I have never been overweight, but my body composition has changed--I have a small pooch where I didn't have one before. My diet is excellent and I get a lot of exercise (a benefit of retirement). My gynecologist tells me the pooch is quite normal.

I could work on getting rid of that pooch. But speaking for myself, that just isn't how I want to spend my time and energy now. The psychologist C.G. Jung has a lot of really interesting observations about the second half of one's life, and how the psychological tools that you used in the first half of life need to change in the second half or else you'll be pretty unhappy. I think one of the tools to develop in the second half of life is self-acceptance. This doesn't mean letting yourself go; it can mean showing a lot more compassion and kindness to yourself. This can translate into better nutrition, dietary choices, appropriate exercise programs, adequate rest, etc., rather than flogging yourself to attain the same figure you had at age 25.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 09:44 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
I could work on getting rid of that pooch. But speaking for myself, that just isn't how I want to spend my time and energy now. The psychologist C.G. Jung has a lot of really interesting observations about the second half of one's life, and how the psychological tools that you used in the first half of life need to change in the second half or else you'll be pretty unhappy. I think one of the tools to develop in the second half of life is self-acceptance. This doesn't mean letting yourself go; it can mean showing a lot more compassion and kindness to yourself. This can translate into better nutrition, dietary choices, appropriate exercise programs, adequate rest, etc., rather than flogging yourself to attain the same figure you had at age 25.
I love this, Betsy. It's how I've felt for a while now, but have never quite identified that I was feeling that way or put it into any kind of words. I think it's actually quite a nice place to be.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 10:31 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
{HUGS}}
Right now I am doing a reset following the book, Metabolic Effect (Amazon). There have been a few threads here and there on them. I just started Monday so too soon to tell, but the concept is you do 20 minutes of strength rest-based training 2 to 3 times per week. The paper workouts are in the book. Walking every day is recommended to help lower stress hormones, and 2 HitT workouts are optional during the week. The book tells you what sort of "burner" you are. I fell into the muscle burning camp which explains a lot to me. I will say that since I started cutting back on my extreme workouts I have been feeling a lot better. I have started sleeping better and have more energy in the mornings. I did sign up for their streaming to get a better feel for the workouts, and I am still waiting to get access. Either they haven't given me access or I am doing something wrong. I've been using my rebounder for the short HiiT workouts, or Lekfit here and there. It was very hard for me to get my mind around cutting back to a 20 minute workout but this is very doable, and I never thought this sort of circuit style workout would appeal to me but I have enjoyed it so far. I am still going to have a leg day though, can't give that up. There is a lot of free info. on their web site http://metaboliceffect.com

~Beth
Good luck. Keep me posted

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 07:06 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
I'm 61. I have never been overweight, but my body composition has changed--I have a small pooch where I didn't have one before. My diet is excellent and I get a lot of exercise (a benefit of retirement). My gynecologist tells me the pooch is quite normal.

Very beautifully said, Betsy!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 01:16 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Quote:
Another +1 to this!

I'm 61, about 10 years post-menopause. My experience of M was difficult enough that I used the hormone patch for 7 years; loved that patch, but discontinued in 2015 after my mammograms became an ordeal --> biopsy (no cancer, but my gyn said it was probably the HT that was causing the lumps; she was right--no problems the last 2 years.)

I also have that post-menopausal pooch & my weight gain varies from 10 -15 pounds, depending on my food choices. I've consistently maintained 6 days/week of working out, varying strength training with cardio. I tried upping my workout intensity to deal with the weight gain, but just ended up tired & sore.

Sooo...I'm finally at that self-acceptance place and happy to be fit, healthy & active, even if I have a little more around my middle!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 03:16 PM  
Aunt Famous

Betsy, that was absolutely perfect.

At 49, I have started taking yoga classes again, and to my surprise, I have gravitated to deep and slow flow stuff, rather than power yoga. It is really what I need right now, and a far cry from how I approached yoga in my 30s. (I just blogged about the change in my exercise choices, and the change in me, so this is a timely thread.)

As for adding a few pounds over the years, I remind myself of a Simpsons episode, where Homer envisions Bart as both a Supreme Court justice and an overweight stripper. When someone complains about Bang-Bang Bart's midsection, he says, "Just more of me to love, baby."

That's how I view it. More of me to love, and a slightly larger corporal shell to contain all of the awesomeness that comes with age.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 03:19 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Betsy, great attitude and I'm with you! I just can't screw up the motivation to do some massive intervention pertaining to my middle aged weight gain. I just kinda feel like I have better things to do? You know?

That said, like Beth, I've been reading the Metabolic Effect guys (the Teta brothers.) I do like a lot of what they say (emphasis on real food, the importance of rest, etc.) I'm not sure I have the desire to do their program by the letter, but I think there might be some things I could incorporate into my lifestyle... I like the idea of cycling eat less/exercise less periods with eat more/exercise more periods. It is motivating me to consider my stress levels, which these days are high, and what I can do about that. I probably won't do their program verbatim, but if I can slot in some of the concepts, I might be better off.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 03:25 PM  
desderata

I was always thin. I gained 30 lbs during perimenopause and lost it within about a year of being in menopause. I workout 6-7 days a week because I love it and I want to maintain muscle and bone mass, but it is all about the food now. If I get sloppy about eating, I gain fat in my belly where I never did before menopause. I also have to be very honest with myself about what I'm eating and portion control.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 03:28 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Betsy, great attitude and I'm with you! I just can't screw up the motivation to do some massive intervention pertaining to my middle aged weight gain. I just kinda feel like I have better things to do? You know?

That said, like Beth, I've been reading the Metabolic Effect guys (the Teta brothers.) I do like a lot of what they say (emphasis on real food, the importance of rest, etc.) I'm not sure I have the desire to do their program by the letter, but I think there might be some things I could incorporate into my lifestyle... I like the idea of cycling eat less/exercise less periods with eat more/exercise more periods. It is motivating me to consider my stress levels, which these days are high, and what I can do about that. I probably won't do their program verbatim, but if I can slot in some of the concepts, I might be better off.
I thought the nutritional recommendations for burner types was very interesting. It explained quite a bit about my energy levels and cravings, also changing hormones. The book has been a good read. I would eventually like to try the rest-based workouts with kettlebells.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 09:57 PM  
ncl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
Hi.

I went through 'the change' eight years ago at the age of 52. It was really a non-event; I was going through radiation for breast cancer treatments, and things just stopped.

From then up until last year, I kept my weight steady by sensible eating, staying active (walking, bike riding) and dvd's of all types - Cathe, Tae Bo, yoga, kickboxing, weights, TRX, etc.

This year, I put on weight very quickly, mostly in the mid-section. I don't know if it's the medication I'm taking, or if menopause weight gain has finally caught up with me.

VFers - how did your body change after menopause? Did your workout routines keep the weight off? I didn't think a 30-lb weight gain would bother me, but it does. I dream of my skinny days.

Thanks for any info you can give.
What medication?
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, post menopause