Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 03-26-05, 12:44 PM  
FitChick21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickDancer
Don't forget to check out the $23 barbell set that antbuko posted about at Amazon! Then there's also the $33 mini-barbell at Wal-Mart and Amazon. So many choices...
I actually looked on amazon.com for it and couldn't find it, did you have any luck?
Old 03-26-05, 01:02 PM  
KickDancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick21
I actually looked on amazon.com for it and couldn't find it, did you have any luck?
Hmm, I can't find it either! Better ask antbuko for the URL...

I did see the Cap Barbell/Dumbbell set that I bought at Dick's, though. But I think Amazon's listing has an error-- I don't believe the unloaded barbell weighs 25lbs. I think it's actually 15lbs. (either that or I'm much stronger than I thought!). Amazon's listing it for $55:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...goods&n=507846
Old 03-26-05, 01:05 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick21

Here it is. It's been in my shopping cart since January.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...2GHI9&v=glance
Old 03-28-05, 01:31 PM  
KickDancer

more info on Danskin barbell sets

Quote:
Then there's also the $33 mini-barbell at Wal-Mart and Amazon. So many choices...
I managed to talk to a CS rep (800/704-5561, EM Fitness) about both the Danskin and the Danskin Now barbell sets. I was told that both barbell sets are safe for adding plates with weights of up to 30 lbs. Here are the differences:

Danskin 4-in-1 barbell set (available at Amazon):
- unloaded padded bar unscrews in middle and weighs 6 lbs.
- 1 pair of green vinyl-coated plates weighing 3 lbs. each
- 1 pair of blue vinyl-coated plates weighing 5 lbs. each
- patented spring-loaded collars for changing plates quickly

Danskin Now 4-in-1 barbell set (available at Wal-Mart):
- unloaded padded bar unscrews in middle and weighs 5 lbs.
- 1 pair of orange vinyl-coated plates weighing 2 lbs. each
- 1 pair of purple vinyl-coated plates weighing 4 lbs. each
- different kind of collars (wouldn't comment on which was better/worse)

Hope that might help anyone else who's considering these barbell sets! I myself am undecided, since I'd prefer the 6-lb bar but want the 2- and 4-lb plates (and really should just stick to my current barbell set anyway). And I can't decide between the collars without trying them both. Has anyone else had the opportunity to compare them?
Old 03-28-05, 09:35 PM  
FitChick21

Thanks antbuko!!
Old 04-02-05, 10:20 PM  
KickDancer

to FitChick21

So what did you end up getting (if anything)? And how do you like it so far?
Old 08-24-08, 02:37 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Danskin Weighted Bar Barbell and Adjustable Dumbbells + Bench

Quote:
I managed to talk to a CS rep (800/704-5561, EM Fitness) about both the Danskin and the Danskin Now barbell sets. I was told that both barbell sets are safe for adding plates with weights of up to 30 lbs. Here are the differences:

Danskin 4-in-1 barbell set (available at Amazon):
- unloaded padded bar unscrews in middle and weighs 6 lbs.
- 1 pair of green vinyl-coated plates weighing 3 lbs. each
- patented spring-loaded collars for changing plates quickly

Danskin Now 4-in-1 barbell set (available at Wal-Mart):
- unloaded padded bar unscrews in middle and weighs 5 lbs.
- 1 pair of orange vinyl-coated plates weighing 2 lbs. each
- 1 pair of purple vinyl-coated plates weighing 4 lbs. each
- different kind of collars (wouldn't comment on which was better/worse)

Hope that might help anyone else who's considering these barbell sets! I myself am undecided, since I'd prefer the 6-lb bar but want the 2- and 4-lb plates (and really should just stick to my current barbell set anyway). And I can't decide between the collars without trying them both. Has anyone else had the opportunity to compare them?
REVIVING....this super OLD Thread.....

i found yet another Danskin weight set from Craigslist. It differs in design compared with the ones described in KickDancer's post. the seller *thinks* she got it from Sam's Club about 2-3 years ago. it sounds plausible since Sam's and Walmart carry similar brands but the actual product might differ.

Danskin barbell and adjustable dumbbell set + bench ...from Sam's Club ?? :
- unloaded padded bar* unscrews in middle and weighs 5.5 lbs.
- 2 unloaded padded dumbbell handles** and each handle weighs 2 lbs.
- 4 pairs of purple vinyl-coated plates weighing 1 lb. each
- 2 pairs of green vinyl-coated plates weighing 3 lbs. each
- 3 pairs of collars*** 1 pair for each dumbbell and padded bar
- adjustable bench with 4 levels of incline (including declining backwards)

* bar can hold up to 3 danskin plates on each side and with the given plates in this set, can create a bar with max weight of 22# + 5.5# = 27.5# (5#, and 2, 3# plates on each side, 5.5# bar).
** dumbbells can hold up to 2 plates on each side, thereby making a max 18# dumbbell (or even a 12#, something i've wanted!).

***collars have these pins + clip design for super quick release; no springs in this design

i have been studying KickDancer's post over the past several days, trying to figure out which set was being sold based on kick's post. the seller had a picture and it didn't look like anything i saw on the web under the danskin brand.

the bench looks like most of the danskin benches on the web, except that it has a metal coil (near the back on the bottom) for holding the plates for storage, a wire "tray" for holding the 2 dumbbells, and a coupling for holding the padded bar in a vertical position. the coil holds the loose plates in a vertical position. the bottom coil and tray form a "V" shape, making the base of it compact.

when you want to fold the bench up, you simply pull it in the upright position and there's a safety lock/spring pin that keeps it from falling down. in the storage / unused position, it is ~ 44".

now for the punchline: i got it for $40 !!!!

i paid what she was asking. i don't know what sam's had sold it for. she barely used it, and she looks like she works out.

count this as another craiglist victory!

EDITED TO ADD:
i e-mailed the seller about how much she paid, and she said it costed her around $120.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 03:25 PM  
LAC

bzar - sounds like you got a very good deal! I'm jealous I don't understand why Danskin has discontinued their barbell and wish they'd bring it back (I want one for myself!)
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbells, body bar, danskin, dumbbell size, weighted bar