Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-05, 01:06 PM  
Carol_is_fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygirl64
Carol,
As I was reading this thread I thought the same thing! I don't have as many as you do but I do have 2 barbells and 5 body bars: 9, 12, 15, 18 & 26 pounds. I got the body bars BEFORE I got the second barbell - I thought it would be easier to do upper body work and not have to change the plates - one little thing I wasn't aware of - the body bars I got are very wide (around) and my hands are small and it was extemely hard for me to hold the bar with an over hand grip. So now they just look pretty - all of the pretty colors in my basement!
Laura
Laura, I do find when I hold the body bars too long my hands get numb (YIKES!!) My hands are small too and gripping dumbbells is definitely easier on them! The colors are pretty, aren't they?? I have to line them up according to color - not size - LOL!!

Carol
Old 03-24-05, 01:15 PM  
KickDancer

Wow, thanks for all the replies! Can you tell me what weights you use for the individual Body Bar w/o's (whichever ones you have)?

Thanks for the note about the bar diameter. I also have small hands, so it's good to have this caveat before jumping in to Body-Bar-ownership.
Old 03-24-05, 01:46 PM  
antbuko

I bought the Challenge Pro brand weighted bars from FW Online. They also carry the Body Bar brand, but the Challenge Pro are cheaper and they are also on sale this month.

I have 6, 9, 12, 15 & just ordered an 18 lb. bar. I use them instead of a barbell. I have little hands too but they don't bother me.

In Keli Roberts Body Bar Challenge I think they use a 15lb & 12lb bar. In Margaret Richards Raise the Bar, Margaret uses a 15lb. and the other two exercisers use a 12 lb. I don't think there is an optimal weight that one should use for these workouts, it's really a matter of what weight is right for you.

Which is more convenient? Don't know. I think whether you use dumbbells, barbells or weighted bars, you gotta stop sometimes to change weights, and sometimes it feels a little inconvenient to do that if you're not prepared. I have all my weights out and ready and my remote so I can pause if necessary, which I usually do anyway because most instructors don't like to stretch long enough between exercises.

You can get a barbell cheaply. There's an 80lb set on Amazon for $22.99. Choose the body bars instead if you're interested specifically in body bar workouts.
Old 03-24-05, 06:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Carol,
...one little thing I wasn't aware of - the body bars I got are very wide (around) and my hands are small and it was extemely hard for me to hold the bar with an over hand grip.
Laura
Laura,

are these the Bodybar brand that are very wide that you refer to?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 07:10 PM  
Carol_is_fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar
Laura,

Laura, I bought the Challenge Pro ones from Fitness Wholesale online because they were like half the price! But I'd say they're a good inch at least in diameter, and gripping them for any length of time causes my hand to start to tingle. I just take a quick break and all is well, but it's annoying at times to have to put down the bar or stop. Oh well. If that's the worst thing, I figure I'm doing well!!

Carol
Old 03-25-05, 10:16 AM  
FitChick21

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! KickDancer, I think I'll be heading over to Dick's tomorrow to see if i can find that barbell set! Thanks!!
Old 03-25-05, 11:21 AM  
gypsygirl64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar
Laura,

The ones I have I got from Sissel-Online.com. They are very wide around (I have not measured them though).

It looks like the brand name is Sissel Toning Bars.

Carol,
I have a red, pink, blue, black and green one (in that order)! They LOOK nice in my storage area. I use the pink one (12 lbs) and the blue one (15 lbs) pretty regularly but rarely use the others. The green one (24 lbs) is alot longer than the other ones. I could have bought a rack to hold them but it was kind of expensive.

Laura

Laura
gypsygirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 12:27 PM  
Carol_is_fit

Quote:
Carol,
I have a red, pink, blue, black and green one (in that order)! They LOOK nice in my storage area. I use the pink one (12 lbs) and the blue one (15 lbs) pretty regularly but rarely use the others. The green one (24 lbs) is alot longer than the other ones. I could have bought a rack to hold them but it was kind of expensive.

Laura
I'm treating myself to a rack when DH gets around to finishing the workout room in the basement. Right now they're in a corner next to my dresser, and it's a real pain to keep them in "color order"! LOL!!

Carol
Old 03-25-05, 02:32 PM  
KickDancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick21
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! KickDancer, I think I'll be heading over to Dick's tomorrow to see if i can find that barbell set! Thanks!!
Don't forget to check out the $23 barbell set that antbuko posted about at Amazon! Then there's also the $33 mini-barbell at Wal-Mart and Amazon. So many choices...
Old 03-25-05, 03:23 PM  
gypsygirl64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol_is_fit
I'm treating myself to a rack when DH gets around to finishing the workout room in the basement. Right now they're in a corner next to my dresser, and it's a real pain to keep them in "color order"! LOL!!

Carol
Carol,
Do you have the same ones I do?
Laura

Laura
gypsygirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbells, body bar, danskin, dumbbell size, weighted bar