Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-01-19, 04:42 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Eek - I Think I’m Done with Weights!

As much as I still love heavy weights, I think I’m done with them. Flowy, stretchy workouts just feel soooo good. I’m finally trying to focus my life in a more relaxed, stress-free direction and that includes not having to think about things like the pain I’m feeling in my upper back just sitting here on the couch typing.

Okay, so that being said, I want to maintain the muscle that I do have. Can I do that with, for example, Ellen Barrett light weight workouts, band workouts, Classical Stretch (I know Jackie has), Barlates, etc? Do I need weights at all?

I don’t want to be 70 (in 4 years) or older and saying “If only I had stopped sooner ...”. I’ve read all about the older ladies still out there pumping like they’re 40 and probably many here do the same. That’s great. I just want to go another direction and “Zen” out.

Comments? Advice? Personal experience? Thanks.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 04:44 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I would alternate between light weights, body weight, and bands.

if you feel pain, i'm guessing it's posture related. I have the same problem - that my posture is causing me pain.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 05:22 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I my thoughts are that you are on another step in your fitness journey. You have come to know you don’t have to beat the muscles to keep in shape. If it is hurting your bodY, it’s time to move on. That is not a good sign to think you need to do this to be in fitness.

WhT I have found, is Pilates. It’s gentle, it has toning and it doesn’t hurt you . You don’t have to worry about waking up sore.

What ever you do, do the senior version. 1-3 pond weights is more than enough, do shorter workouts. It’s coming of age and it is okay!

You are facing this without having to be sick. Follow your gut and you will be fine.

Good morning to you !!!

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 05:27 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I agree with Jeannine about alternating with light weights, body weight, and bands. I loved lifting heavy but for a variety of reasons realized I had to let it go - at least for the upper body. We often think people complain most about their "lower back" but I think statistics might indicate most people have upper back complaints. And IIRC for those who have osteoporosis it is their upper back that they are most likely to fracture.

We might have the muscles to lift heavy but can the joints and ligaments bear it all as we get older? Just yesterday as I was looking at several of Linda Woolridge's videos using resistance bands for LB exercises and then looked at one using ankle weights, I could feel the difference -- just watching. Even if one has good form and is stretching one's legs out of their joints while exercising them, I think the ankle weights affect the joints more than any promotion of muscle strength. And on the contrary I "felt" that using bands did much to promote strength and flexibility, and shapeliness, at the same time. Ah, yes, it was the "tightening" series I was looking at (and ordered) -- and I think the bands are much more effective for that.

BTW, about an hour ago I just chanced upon a lightning deal of several of Mark Lauren's bodyweight dvd sets on Amazon and was able to add to my collection.

ETA: But I still do DL's and use kettlebells.
Old 10-01-19, 05:29 PM  
bjones

I'm 62 and had to stop lifting completely due to a shoulder injury. I was tempted to just give up weights since I think they partly caused the injury. So, I went off weights for the last 4 months...I lost a ton of muscle mass as well as strength, even doing my PT exercises. The strength bothers me the most-can't open jars, even with a rubber thingy, can't lift a 24 pack of little 8 oz water bottles etc. So yesterday I started back with Cathe's Burn Sets using very light weights and just 2 exercises per body part. I used 3-8 pounds. It felt so good to work those muscles again and today I am just lightly sore in a good way, not the horrible DOMS/trigger points in the traps I used to get with heavy weights. I will never do heavy again but I know I need to lift to keep up functional strength. And honestly, it just felt wonderful to use the lighter weights.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 05:34 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Edit to add. I’ll be 65 October - 13

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 05:38 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I don't know the answer, but I made the mistake of doing a Jessica Smith weight workout on Sunday and I have been hurting ever since - joint pain and stiffness. I think I'm going back to my walking, pilates, and very light weights.

I'll be 63 this month.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 06:00 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I don’t want to be 70 (in 4 years) or older and saying “If only I had stopped sooner ...”. I’ve read all about the older ladies still out there pumping like they’re 40 and probably many here do the same. That’s great. I just want to go another direction and “Zen” out.
BTW, I turned 74 this summer and think I'm more fit than even the young people I see around me. I certainly don't feel old. It's mainly upper body heavy lifting I'm avoiding. And though I just bought the download of Cathe's CTX Upper Body Split yesterday, I'll use lighter weights for it. My heavy weights are only for LB workouts now.
Old 10-01-19, 06:27 PM  
Messe

Quote:
I'll be 72 in December (yikes!), and Ellen's light weights wouldn't be enough for me. In fact, I just bought several Cathe Live downloads, and I'm really enjoying them. I've never lifted as heavy as Cathe does, and I never will. But what works for me may not work for you.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 07:23 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Quote:
As much as I still love heavy weights, I think I’m done with them. Flowy, stretchy workouts just feel soooo good. I’m finally trying to focus my life in a more relaxed, stress-free direction and that includes not having to think about things like the pain I’m feeling in my upper back just sitting here on the couch typing.

Okay, so that being said, I want to maintain the muscle that I do have. Can I do that with, for example, Ellen Barrett light weight workouts, band workouts, Classical Stretch (I know Jackie has), Barlates, etc? Do I need weights at all?

Comments? Advice? Personal experience? Thanks.
This is why I like Debra Atkinson of flipping 50. She has you do heavy weights only 2 days per week and more for the larger muscle groups, press, squat, rows for bone density. Most of the workouts can be a short as 10 minutes or as long as 45 minutes if you add in the smaller muscles. she even recommends if you have a gym membership to do machine squats, presses, rows and presses as heavy as you can. She does very little shoulder work, and when she does it is very light weights, like 3 lbs. After those 2 weight sessions the rest of the week is mine to do cardio, yoga or even very light weights with high reps.

Tags
aging, dumbbell size, heavy lifting, light weights, mark lauren