Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-19, 10:39 AM  
Erica H.

Using Resistance bands vs. light weights?

I recently had major abdominal surgery and can only lift light weights for now due to the high risk of a hernia. Can I use resistance bands in place of the weights? I feel more resistance using the bands but maybe that's what I should be trying to avoid?

Also, what about push-ups on my knees? I assume that's safe since I'm not lifting anything and it shouldn't stress the abdominal area like doing them on my toes.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 10:46 AM  
bubbles76

If you do a tag search for abdominal surgery you'll get some hits that offer suggestions on exercises to do after surgery. Some responses suggest waiting 6 weeks before doing anything, one response suggested Margaret Richard's getting better, no lifting over 10 pounds, etc. Always go with your doctor's advice, of course, but it's great to get suggestions here too.

I'm sorry I don't have personal experience to add, but I remembered this being discussed here before. Good luck and speedy recovery!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 10:54 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
If you do a tag search for abdominal surgery you'll get some hits that offer suggestions on exercises to do after surgery. Some responses suggest waiting 6 weeks before doing anything, one response suggested Margaret Richard's getting better, no lifting over 10 pounds, etc. Always go with your doctor's advice, of course, but it's great to get suggestions here too.
Thank you! I am 6 1/2 weeks post-op now and just started with light weights at 6 weeks - nothing over 8 pounds. I am using some of Linda Wooldridge's upper body workouts on youtube but saw that she has some resistance band workouts that look good and I'd like to try them but don't know if that would be more of a strain than the light dumbbells.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 10:56 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I've had 3 major abdominal surgeries and I couldn't exercise or use any other type of equipment to do such until my abdomen healed. that area is very very sensitive. took me 8 weeks each time. I was on pain meds and had to have PT come and assist me.

so, please take it slow. wait for the doctor to say it's okay, it's better than setting you back for weeks or opening the wound, or it not healing properly from twisting too soon.

Just wait it out.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 11:19 AM  
dnna

I would say take it easy and be very careful. Two weeks more off would be great. and 8 pounds is not really a light weight for lifting after ab. surgery, I had a couple of ab surgeries and took it slow. My husband didn't! and had a lot of problems and scar problems etc.

good luck, I know how hard it is to not exercise when you are fit and have a routine. I just wish the best for you
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 12:19 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
I would say take it easy and be very careful. Two weeks more off would be great. and 8 pounds is not really a light weight for lifting after ab. surgery, I had a couple of ab surgeries and took it slow. My husband didn't! and had a lot of problems and scar problems etc.

good luck, I know how hard it is to not exercise when you are fit and have a routine. I just wish the best for you
My thoughts too as a retired RN and someone who has had major abd surgery.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restarting