Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-19, 07:08 AM  
donnamp

Good news for us desk dwellers

I found a link to this article in one of Gilad's recent newsletters and to me it is good news! As much as I like to be active, and understand the benefits of being active, sometimes, with a long commute and a desk job it is jut not possible to get as much activity in as I would like.

This article indicates that even moderate amount of activity 4K steps per day provided benefit and that benefits maxed out at 7.5K steps.

The study subjects were "older" women -

I actually find this news ENCOURAGING as I often find myself feeling like I am not doing enough - but, in reality, I'm stuck sitting much of the day. I commute the better part of an hour each way and then I have to sit at work for long hours to get my work done. When the weather is bad or when we are in a busy season I simply can't get out to take a walk. I generally try to when I can, but it isn't always possible.

This study also points out that there is a benefit to light activity - also good news. I feel sometimes people give up on fitness b/c they can't go all out - and figure that it is a waste of time if they can't do the high intensity stuff all the time.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-steps-per-day

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 07:38 AM  
cyana

Thanks for posting, this Donna. For years I had the mindset that I had to work out for at least an hour or it didn't count. Or if I didn't register at least 10K steps I was a slacker.

Like you, I have a desk job and there's a 3-4 month period every year that I work insane hours and often week-ends.

I had to rid myself of the one hour or else mentality and now do more 30-45 minute work-outs, do a variety of activities throughout the day and purchased myself a sit to stand desk so I can stand up for part of the day. I keep a rotation of fitness toys in my office - things like resistance bands, DB's, a 3 lb weighted ball and a stability ball so I can do some mini "work-ins" - especially during those mandatory conference calls where I just have to listen.

And speaking of step counts, I'd frequently find myself in the 6-8K total for the day so now I feel validated that doing something consistently is better than beating oneself up or throwing in the towel because you didn't meet someone else's threshold.

I may just put a new battery in my pedometer after reading this!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 09:53 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Prior thread:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=226051
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 08:26 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Thanks for posting, great article!