Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-19, 06:52 AM  
KathyC

Red face Restarting: need recommendations, please

Hi everyone,
I have been a lurker here for many years, and post very sporadically. I also exercise very sporadically unfortunately The past year and a half have been fraught with illness for me as I have dealt with asthma flareup after flareup that was brought on by environmental and allergic triggers, as well as GERD that isn't controlled well by medication. I am presently in the process of setting up an appointment to do a ph probe to measure the acid in my stomach so they can see if I am a candidate for a surgery to rectify my issues. I am hopeful that this will be enlightening.
Throughout all of this I have had numerous rounds of prednisone, as well as other unrelated cortisteroid assistance for plantar fascitiis, trigger finger (thumb) and hip. All of this has really done a number on my bones, and I have osteopenia that is very close to becoming osteoporosis. I am almost 63 (later this month) and small in body build (overweight by about 30 or so pounds) so my age and stature certainly increase my odds of developing it.
But...I want to turn this around! And I think I can! I need to embark on a routine that is going to help me to confront these issues. I know I need to be stretching and elongating my muscles to keep from having the muscle related tendonitis and bursitis that calls for the cortisteroids as a fast fix. And I believe this will help my lungs and probably digestion as well. I also know strength training does need to be incorporated. I have a very active job (online grocery shopper at Walmart) and walk very briskly for at least 6.5 -7 hours each day. Although it is stop and go, I feel it is enough for now and won't try to add more until I have made strength and stretching a solid habit. I will likely try to do a dance or aerobic type workout on my days off if I can, but that would just be considered extra at this point.
Here's what I have decided to start doing initially: Classical Stretch for my stretching, and I will start with the easiest workouts initially. I don't want a lot of soreness or movement problems, because I still need to be able to perform my job duties, now that I am able to be back at work. I want to ease into it gradually, even if that means the benefits do come slower. Right now, my plan is to use the 4 age reversing workouts (Mobility, Bone Strengthening, Posture and Pain Relief) one each day for a period of about 2 weeks. I will then consider moving into something else considered beginner, possibly Season 11?
Here's what I need help with: Strength! I would prefer to do a little daily, as opposed to full body workouts, mainly to avoid soreness and fatigue, but also to help me stay in a time frame of about 45-60 minutes total time per day including both the CS and strength. I would like to do each body part twice per week. I don't know that I would want or need a total rest day with this schedule, since it will be very minimal per day, and I will also plan on doing some type of stretching (CS, yoga, qi gong) even if I do a rest day.
I appreciate any recommendations that you all can give me. I have many dvds, programs, and also BBOD that I have not used in several months...I also would like to use something for a short while before moving to something else, so the same workout used repeatedly for a week or two is fine. I'm really looking to not only build some strength to help my bones, but also to build a good habit that I will continue with for years to come. If I get any other benefits as far as weight loss, inches, or whatever else, that will just be icing on the cake!
One further comment: I'm so sad that I have been wishy washy as far as my fitness goes, but also haven't been plugged in enough to be supportive of any of you all in your fitness ventures. I'm sorry for that, and I hope that by turning over a new leaf now, I can change all of that for the better
I'm interested in accountability, so recommendations for a checkin log would be awesome as well
Thank you all so much for the time you are taking to read this, and for any responses you can offer!
Kathy
KathyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 08:29 AM  
Demeris

Mirabai Holland. She has several levels of strength workouts, so you can build up in your own time to more rigorous/vigorous stuff.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 08:48 AM  
KathyC

Thanks for that, Demeris! I believe I have a few of hers. I so appreciate the suggestion and she is one that didn't readily come to my mind!

Kathy
Old 06-01-19, 09:11 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I always recommend Margaret Richard or Kelly Coffey Meyer. Margaret Richard's Unplugged dvds are about 23 minutes so easy to fit in. She is meticulous with form and if you use them in order you probably work each body part twice a week. KCM's Start Here is a basic weight training dvd. Best of luck to you.
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 09:14 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Jessica Smith's workouts for sure! I can't recommend her enough -- I've also had a medical setback in the past few months and her workouts have been perfect for my varying degrees of abilities lately.

I used to do solely high impact and heavy weight stuff so I initially was very depressed when I couldn't barely finish a 30-min low impact/light weight workout. But Jessica's demeanor and gorgeous poolside/oceanside workouts have really helped me to see that I can work my way back slowly and work at the level I need to be at right now.

Good for you to get it going again! There's a lot of us here in the same boat with you!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 09:18 AM  
KathyC

Thank you, summer breeze! I was looking at Margaret Richard because I bought everything I didn't have when she last had a big sale And I forgot that Kelly had the basic weight training workout, I'll have to check to see if I have that one! It's good to have some options, I think, and I'll be previewing all the suggestions I get on here today to see what clicks with me.
I really appreciate the input and just know I will have a firm plan in place by end of day. Matter of fact, my first workouts will be sometime later this afternoon

Kathy
Old 06-01-19, 09:25 AM  
KathyC

Oooooh, yes, Lori, how could anyone forget about Jessica? She's one of my favorites that I have worked out with when I was on a roll. I usually only think about her for her walking though, and have never done any of her strength workouts. Are there any you would recommend for a beginner beginner?
Thank you, Lori, for providing your insight, because I just didn't think of her for this. Off to look and see what I have that can fit the need of the moment. And if I don't have anything, I bet YouTube does!
I also wanted to comment that I'm glad you've been able to move forward when you've had the setback you did! I'm cheering you on to keep going when I know it can be depressing to have to modify and downscale what you're used to doing. I know how hard that has been for myself, and I also have my own ongoing issues with depression that rears it's ugly head periodically
Thank you for taking time to encourage and motivate me!
Kathy

Last edited by KathyC; 06-01-19 at 10:28 AM. Reason: forgot to add a comment
Old 06-01-19, 09:28 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Hi Kathy! Stephanie Huckabee’s PowerFit series are always my go-to when I’ve had a setback and need to restart. You could just do the strength workouts.

Other suggestions:
I Want That Body—Tamilee Webb (Arms, Abs, Buns—each about 30 min)
WW 10-Minute Tone Ups: Belly, Butt, Thighs, Core, Upper Body, Lower Body
Gilad's Quick Fit or sections from the Express workouts

I'm sure you'll get other great suggestions here. I'm in my mid-60s and am also fighting to regain lost strength and endurance after a long battle with PF, for which I also received cortisteroid treatment (but I'm fine now--yay!!). I'm also small boned (but overweight) and have bone loss. So you're not alone, and you're to be commended for not giving up despite your health challenges. Good luck!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 09:32 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I've always eased back into fitness with 10 Minute Solution workouts or remember using Powerfit. Just little tidbits.

And, I've started using YouTube a lot. So many nice workouts and you can pick your length etc.

I like my Essentrics to ease back or anything!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 09:54 AM  
KathyC

Wow, Joan! What awesome suggestions! I feel like I really do have some choices! I know there's a lot of total body strength workouts, but I think it gets a little limited when you want to just do snippets of workouts to focus on just a few parts per day, as I'm planning. That's why I'm hoping to keep it simple with workouts that are made just to do so.
I remember I really liked Powerfit, so that's a definite possibility. I love Tamilee's IWTB and used that a LOT back in the day, but I might want to save it for when I've gotten acclimated to weight training again. Although it's aimed at beginner it was hard for me, and I remember getting sore too! That's a great workout though, and my arms never looked better! Gilad is for sure one I will look at, but I don't think I have the Weight Watcher one. Not dismayed, because so far I think I have everything suggested except for it
My PF is fine now, and I'm not having any other pain right now, so I am really looking forward to putting in motion these health and exercise goals. Sorry to hear you've had similar issues, but glad you've been able to get ahead of all that! I really appreciate your encouragement and insight! Thank you for responding!
Kathy

Tags
restarting