Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-19, 09:14 AM  
alisoncooks

Just wanted to add that I'm finding a lot of my current aches and stiffness are improving with just stretching. I thought I'd have to get more fit to feel better, but I'm already feeling a marked difference just from adding the stretching. (So now I actually *can* exercise more.)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 02:32 PM  
Sollamyn

Last summer, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Before that, and before starting treatment, every single thing I did exhausted me. Showering was an aerobic workout for me! Fast forward to almost a year later and what a difference! While I am not as advanced as I had hoped I would be by this time, I have seen significant improvements in strength and cardio fitness and I am confident that I will continue to improve over time. I started out doing little walks in the mall (it's hot in summer where I live) or doing DVD workouts for seniors (Sue Grant, for example). Also, I wear a Fitbit and tried to get those 250 steps per hour. Some days, that is all I could manage to do (plus a little stretching), but every little bit helps. (Showering is a breeze now! )

Keep getting up and don't look back. You're not going that way.

Donna
Old 04-16-19, 03:40 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

There is a youtube channel that is focused on easier workouts for people who have been ill (I think with Lyme disease? Fibromyalgia? Chronic fatigue?) Anyway, I hear that it is excellent although I've only ever previewed a couple of the workouts. It would likely be a great place to start, supportive rather than intimidating:

CocoLime Fitness

Having been a restarter myself, I highly recommend starting with less than you think you can do, workouts easier than you think you need, and experience SUCCESS, because you can always move on up if you experience success, but if you start off too intense and feel failure, it can really send you into a tailspin (voice of experience here!)
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-19, 05:24 PM  
skyy2

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I have started to walk slowly on the treadmill and look at the Youtube channel suggested.
It''s hard for my mind to catch up with my current fitness level when I remember how much I did in the past. It get's frustrating at times.
Old 04-20-19, 11:37 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Two that I like: Karen Voight's Ease into Fitness (on sale now at totalfitnessdvds) and Mari Winsor's Pink Ribbon Pilates, which has a chapter Road to Recovery which is specifically for restarting gentle exercise.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-19, 11:34 AM  
lithium

Jessica Smith has a FITIN15 Challenge playlist that's very beginner-friendly with a lot of variety. Every workout is only ~15min.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lYiI4vL0UGzPxy
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restarting