Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-19, 05:59 PM  
donnamp

Daisy- this set - X-Factor ST worked well for me - it is all body weight and you do it 3X per week

https://www.amazon.com/Weider-X-Fact...or+body+weight

If I recall correctly, each week has a different set of workouts....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 05:47 PM  
Sharaz

Depends of the results I’m looking for.

I do resistance training because I want to build/maintain muscle and strength. In addition, the aesthetics results I get from this activity are unique. Shapely body with muscles. I don’t get these results from other fitness activities.

I once trained for my first half marathon for 3 months and dropped all weight training. Running 20 miles weekly. The goal was to finish the race! Too much cardio and muscles were not popping. I was eating a lot of food in order to keep my lean mass and a result kept my weight at my target.

If fat loss is the goal, I use workouts as a tool to increase calories deficit and lose weight faster. Nutrition adjustments comes first. I may sure to keep resistance training to avoid muscle loss. Once of the reason is that muscle tissue burn more calories than fat. No need for me to workout endless hours weekly to maintain bc I have a fairly amount of lean mass.

I know ZERO about WW but seems complicated. If I’m overweight I just put my target weight in the following calculator and mark sedentary https://www.verywellfit.com/how-many...ry-day-3495464 There are tons of free calculators on the web!!!

Then I eat the calories burned total. Any extra calories burned during my workouts will help speed the process. If I reach my target weight I may be able to eat more due to the type of workouts I’m doing. I use a HRM so I have an understanding about how many calories I can add to my target number.

An eye opener is to mark current weight to realize how many calories are you eating daily to maintain that weight. Needless to say that target weight is very individual and depends on muscle/fat ration. At my best, I’m 145-155 and I wear size 6 and 8.
Old 01-22-19, 06:47 AM  
Cybersparkle

From a big picture perspective, I would say approach finding the "best" workout & healthy diet for you with patience, compassion & experimentation.

I think there are some who's body & metabolism fit perfectly to popular systems on the market. Like, it was so inspiring to read the recent thread on VFers who still do high impact in middle age (40 - 70). Inspiring not because I aim to do as they do, but just really appreciating the spirit of boldly listening to your body & giving it what it needs, even if it's high impact in later years & hanging with the younguns lol.

However, I am just the opposite (mild intensity, low impact) and it has taken me many years to find workouts/methods I love that love me back. Same with food, recently came to the realization that I needed to become a vegetarian again. I started working out in earnest at @33 & am now 51. Only in the last 4 years have I found really good combos for me.

I too started out following systems & markets & at first thought I was doing the wrong workouts or somehow doing it wrong cause I didnt feel energized or wasnt losing.

But I have found over the years, my body, diet needs & emotional needs change. Like, if you are working 3 jobs, in school & have 2 kids or move to another country vs just retired - I mean life takes us in so many directions, out workout needs are bound to change. I am a lot happier when I change the workout system to fit my needs rather than force my body to fit into a system that is not making me happy.

I say, experiment til your hearts content Listen to your body & your emotional needs. Try it, keep what works & let the rest go, guilt free. Know it may take time (or u may find your eureka method quickly!), but have fun along the way trying all the different methods - most important - you are moving & taking care of yourself & there are always benefits to that & beats doing nothing at all, which is what many other people do.

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 07:40 AM  
Tugger31

Daisy, I too am short and after having done STS and Body Beast did not like the aesthetic look of my body, though I did gain strength. I know strength is important, but just as important for me is liking my appearance. I also tried running and it didn't do much. I did become a better runner. What helped me was to "atrophy" my muscles a bit. I did this by walking and kickboxing for cardio. Kickboxing provided good non-weighted work for your core and arms and walking did help shrink my quads. I also started doing Ballet Beautiful for lower body. I did this at least every other day. I got burnt out with this so switched it up to some barre work for lower body. I wasn't getting enough fat burn so I started adding some of Cathe's metabolic and used the weights to help with the cardio burn, never using more than 3-5 lbs. Because I missed some pure strength training, every few weeks I'd do a split upper and lower body workout, but I'd do no more than 1-2 sets, and I'd not max out my weight. I used just enough weight to feel challenged but not to go all out. I have been doing this for awhile and the results took time, but my thighs especially from the side view looked the best they have in years. (As Nadine says in the Butt Bible, less of the "banana" look to the quad). I now can no longer do chest flies with 25's, but I can still use 15's so for me that's plenty strong enough for me.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 07:45 AM  
Tugger31

Forgot to add that a few years ago I did an all Cathe RWH rotation but did not change my diet at all. My goal was fat/weight loss. After a month, I was exhausted and did not lose an ounce. So beating myself up was not worth it. I have always been a bit perplexed when some people try to lose weight by eating less and working out more. Those two concepts to me seem counter productive. For me weight loss is 90% diet and the 10% is maintaining fitness and muscle "tone" with exercise. I can't exercise intensely with less calories without eventually burning myself out. So, now I enjoy my exercise much more knowing its purpose is general fitness not weight loss. I do see that certain workouts provide different results, but it's more obvious, ie. this month I'm spending more time on my core, so that's getting stronger. Next month, my goal is more glute work. Planning on using Ballet Beautiful and Linda for that.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 08:34 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
Bubbles - what body weight workouts do you like?
The best body weight workouts I've done are Weider X-Factor ST. Horizontal Conditioning and yoga have also done great things for my body in terms of strength. Hmmm...I know there are others, but will have to check my shelf at home
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 01:40 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersparkle View Post
From a big picture perspective, I would say approach finding the "best" workout & healthy diet for you with patience, compassion & experimentation.

<snip>

I too started out following systems & markets & at first thought I was doing the wrong workouts or somehow doing it wrong cause I didnt feel energized or wasnt losing.

But I have found over the years, my body, diet needs & emotional needs change. Like, if you are working 3 jobs, in school & have 2 kids or move to another country vs just retired - I mean life takes us in so many directions, out workout needs are bound to change. I am a lot happier when I change the workout system to fit my needs rather than force my body to fit into a system that is not making me happy.

I say, experiment til your hearts content Listen to your body & your emotional needs. Try it, keep what works & let the rest go, guilt free. Know it may take time (or u may find your eureka method quickly!), but have fun along the way trying all the different methods

THIS!! THIS!! THIS!! Wisdom, Cybersparkle! I am 55 and when my stress is high, I need a whole different workout approach than I do when my stress is lower. It's not just your body, it's also your emotional state. Not all systems fit and not all systems that fit in one stage of life fit in another. I still love relatively intense weights and cardio; but can only do ONE intense workout of each type per week, and my other workouts are gentler, because that is what my body requires of me. For now. That will likely change when I'm working less hours or a less physically strenuous job.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 04:18 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Forgot to add that a few years ago I did an all Cathe RWH rotation but did not change my diet at all. My goal was fat/weight loss. After a month, I was exhausted and did not lose an ounce. So beating myself up was not worth it. I have always been a bit perplexed when some people try to lose weight by eating less and working out more. Those two concepts to me seem counter productive. For me weight loss is 90% diet and the 10% is maintaining fitness and muscle "tone" with exercise. I can't exercise intensely with less calories without eventually burning myself out. So, now I enjoy my exercise much more knowing its purpose is general fitness not weight loss. I do see that certain workouts provide different results, but it's more obvious, ie. this month I'm spending more time on my core, so that's getting stronger. Next month, my goal is more glute work. Planning on using Ballet Beautiful and Linda for that.
I found a new podcast last week called Mind Pump. Good topics!! They are fitness coaches of regular people and physique/bikini fitness competitors. They discussed recently Lowering Calories vs Upping Cardio for Fat Loss. I just listened once without taking notes (this is how I entertain myself commuting) IIRC the coaches prefer to reduce calories slowly, adding more daily movement before adding more cardio. Need to point out, that for them is all about preserving muscles.
Old 01-22-19, 04:19 PM  
Sharaz

On the topic of Losing Muscle, this youtuber posted the following recently:

Katie Corio 5’2”
Losing the Muscle – Why I did it & HOW I did it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-j0-Xi--Vc

Impressive transformation from Zero to Bikini competitions. She said that at her biggest after switching to Powerbuilding was eating 3000 – 4000 calories per day. The true of the matter is that the more you eat the stronger you become. Also, muscles are built on a calorie surplus.
Old 01-29-19, 04:58 AM  
Negin

I love this thread and have been enjoying reading everyone's replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
I definitely get different results with different workout programs. BUT, key is, I have to do them for 3 months to really see the difference.
So yeah, I see different results with different programs, ASSUMING I STICK TO A PROGRAM FOR 3 MONTHS. Otherwise, I don't really see it.
Susan, this is interesting and something I may try. I have so many workout choices and have been wondering how to incorporate them all. I tend to do something different most days. I do get bored easily.

Tags
consistency, results