Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-19, 09:17 PM  
VainJane

The most important thing for me is doing workouts that I enjoy. In the past, I've tried a lot of different workouts that gave other people great results, but was never able to stick with them for long enough to get great results of my own. I've finally settled on only doing Pilates and barefoot fusion-style workouts, because those are the only ones I look forward to. My results are feeling stronger, more flexible, more energized, and less stressed. I don't feel ravenous like I used to after intense cardio/weights workouts, and don't need recovery time, so I can work out every day. Like most other posters, I don't get significant weight loss without significant dietary changes, but Pilates and fusion give me aesthetically pleasing results like a smaller waist/flatter belly, more rounded butt, toned arms and legs - without the number on the scale changing.
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 10:20 PM  
desderata

Didn't Jack LaLanne used to say diet was king but exercise was queen? I'm probably butchering that. For weight loss, diet is the most important factor. BUT - for me, the type of workout greatly enhances fat burning, in addition to building muscle, strength, shape and definition. Cathe's mix of strength and hypertrophy does wonders for my body. I am an ectomorph and my body is completely happy to be skinny fat. With consistent and intense weight training and a nutrient dense, adequate protein diet, my ectomorph develops shape, muscles and definition.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 07:31 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
For my appearance it's 90 percent diet. I stopped killing myself, wasn't as hungry because I switched to Pilates/barre and walking, and lost 20 pounds. Go figure.

This. Calorie burn during cardio is far too minimal to have a profound effect, unless you want to do hours and hours of it.

Marketing, however, would have you believe differently. I have a number of workouts that claim to be weight loss, but they are really just cardio workouts.

What I have found is that consistency along with diet work most effectively.

Also, I would be very worried about losing muscle instead of fat if I were doing nothing but cardio.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 07:36 AM  
daisyduke

Thank you all for your replies! I get so confused with marketing and hype over workouts! I follow weight watchers already so diet is in check! I just need to keep up the exercise without burning myself out completely. I was running ten miles most days and was getting nowhere. I’m so beat up and tired.
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 08:14 AM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
Thank you all for your replies! I get so confused with marketing and hype over workouts! I follow weight watchers already so diet is in check! I just need to keep up the exercise without burning myself out completely. I was running ten miles most days and was getting nowhere. I’m so beat up and tired.
Daisyduke - do you do any strength training? You might want to consider dropping some of your running and add some strength trainjng in its place. But please do not be discouraged if you plateau or, ahem, gain a few pounds when you first start. My body holds onto extra water when I make a significant change in strength training, but only for a short while, and then I start losing again (if im trying to lose weight). Overall, I’ve found that emphasizing strength training (any kind...high rep, low rep, body weight, as long as I challenge myself) gives me the best body I can have. At my best body, I know I would weight less if I stopped strength training, but, ironically, I would look larger and less firm. So I always make sure I have a good balance of strength and cardio...also, strength training is inherently low impact, so it might help with that beat up feeling.

Also, some strength training is structured in a way that it also has a cardio effect (sometimes really intense), so you wouldn’t necessarily feel like you’re giving up a cardio day.

I hope you can find something, no matter what it is, that helps you reach your goals without feeling drained!
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 08:20 AM  
donnamp

Daisy - what are your goals? Weight loss? Firming/toning up? That may help steer you in the right direction.

There is a lot of marketing hype with all these programs out there - remember, they are trying to sell you something and most Americans want to lose weight so these marketing companies take advantage of that.

I think we're all so individual - as this post has shown - what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else and it is really a matter of trial and error and finding the perfect mix for you and what your goals are at that time.

If running that much is beating you up, you may want to consider cutting back and cross training with some other types of workouts.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 08:30 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VainJane View Post
The most important thing for me is doing workouts that I enjoy. In the past, I've tried a lot of different workouts that gave other people great results, but was never able to stick with them for long enough to get great results of my own. I've finally settled on only doing Pilates and barefoot fusion-style workouts, because those are the only ones I look forward to. My results are feeling stronger, more flexible, more energized, and less stressed. I don't feel ravenous like I used to after intense cardio/weights workouts, and don't need recovery time, so I can work out every day. Like most other posters, I don't get significant weight loss without significant dietary changes, but Pilates and fusion give me aesthetically pleasing results like a smaller waist/flatter belly, more rounded butt, toned arms and legs - without the number on the scale changing.
This is me - I feel my best when I do yoga, Pilates, Fusion, CS/Essentrics and some steady state cardio. My energy is good, I have fewer aches and pains and I don't dread working out. I imagine that I may be more defined if I did heavier weight workouts, but I wouldn't enjoy them and eventually I would start getting aches and pains from doing them.

That isn't to say that on occasion I don't switch gears and do some heavier (for me) weight workouts..but that is just for variety now and again.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 11:54 AM  
Demeris

Daisy, my sister-in-law is on WW, and she tracks her workouts using their Fitpoints method. She showed me on her phone how she gets more points for a weight lifting workout than she does for a walk that takes the same amount of time (I had suggested she walk or hike in between weight lifting, but she wants those points to add up).

I don't know anything more than that, but I suspect some research has gone into how WW calculates points and how those points assist you in slimming down. Has that fitpoints method helped you at all?
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 02:12 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I definitely get different results with different workout programs. BUT, key is, I have to do them for 3 months to really see the difference. For example, doing BodyPump I get a little heavier but curvier, I have a great butt doing that. But it takes about 3 months to really see it. Of course, I can FEEL it before then.

Say, then I switch to doing a lot of cardio. I generally will lose weight. . . and my butt turns flat. haha. Again, this is if I do a more cardio-heavy routine for a good while.

If I do Pilates, I get significantly strong in my core and my waist generally gets a little smaller, and my flexibility increases. But the rest of me turns to flab (arms and legs).

So yeah, I see different results with different programs, ASSUMING I STICK TO A PROGRAM FOR 3 MONTHS. Otherwise, I don't really see it.

(this is all with my diet staying approximately the same.)

IF what you mean by results is weight loss, I generally gain with more strength work and lose with more cardio. (again, with the same diet.) Diet is really the key thing for weight loss. But I generally don't mess with my diet much and I still see different results from different workout programs.

It's not super common for people to stick with one thing long enough to see how it changes their body. We have such a plethora of riches in terms of variety of workouts! Ultimately, finding the thing that you LIKE WELL ENOUGH TO DO IT CONSISTENTLY is probably what is going to do the most for you.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 02:22 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

The only workouts that impacted my appearance and/or weight are Joyce Vedral and Tracy Anderson. I can eat the same with other workouts and will not get much (or any) results (appearance or weight). The only similar thing with these two types of workouts that I can identify is both approaches work muscles in lots of different ways / angles.

With Joyce, I lost 1.5 inches in my hips in 3.5 weeks - that's 1.5 sizes. So it was fast (initially not so much now).

I have lots of other workouts and enjoy them but if I want to change my body, it's Joyce or Tracy.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, results