Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-17, 02:52 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

revisiting Body Bar DVDs

This past week, i've been revisiting my Body Bar DVDs. I also found some good deals on ebay for their older DVDs - the ones that included 2 workouts on 1 DVD. There's also some that have >2 workouts on it, however i already own those.

They did some re-releases that just contained 1 workout on it.

I did Strength Resolutions yesterday with LaShaun Dale. I own this on VHS and had always wanted the DVD. The DVD also has Core Strength on it as a bonus. Strength Resolutions was really nice.

If you want something challenging that uses weights, energizes you, easy on the joints, designed well, competent instructors and good music, Body Bar might interest you. The instructors move to the beat - a rarity these days! And the music is peppy!

Today i'm doing Deep Definition with Rob Glick which i bought on ebay recently. this is the older version that includes Sport Zone. I really wanted Sport Zone because i own a re-release version of Deep Definition which just contains this workout.

I previewed Deep Definition last night on a portable DVD player, and was aghast when the DVD froze at one point. THANKFULLY, it plays in my main DVD player in that one spot!!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-17, 03:07 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Total Body Express is one of those gems I will never give up. Five 30-minute workouts with Sherri Catlin, Keli Roberts, and Andre Houle. Thanks for the reminder that these are great workouts!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-17, 04:32 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I had them all and am wishing I wouldn’t have traded them away.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-17, 11:23 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I ended up trading/giving them all away. Even the Margaret Richard one. I just didn't click with any of the workouts.

I still have several Body Bars that I use in other workouts.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-17, 11:43 AM  
Richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Today i'm doing Deep Definition with Rob Glick
I notice this one uses a regular body bar and a mini one as well.
Is it necessary to have both bars? What did you use?

Clip of Deep Definition using both bars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiVPrLuGKrs
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-17, 11:45 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I had them all and am wishing I wouldn’t have traded them away.
DITTO !!! (given away, in my case)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-17, 02:15 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
I notice this one uses a regular body bar and a mini one as well.
Is it necessary to have both bars? What did you use?

Clip of Deep Definition using both bars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiVPrLuGKrs
at the 1:46 mark in the clip you linked, they use the smaller bar for core & floor work. the smaller bar is used as "handle bars" for lack of a better word. you could easily use a dowel here. he does some side plank work with the small body bar - I used my 7# dumbbell because I worked out in a small space and the furniture in my small workout space got in the way. there's some chest presses too - I used 7# dumbbbells.

he rolls the small body bar in table position - I used The Firm Sculpting stick.

I own the following, and the * indicates what I used in the workout - I kept all of them nearby in case I needed to go heavier or lighter:

*8# The Firm Sculpting Stick, including twigs
*10.5# curl bar w/o plates
12# = 6# padded Danskin bar with 6# of plates
18# adjustable weighted bar

*7# dumbbell(s) for the floor work and chest press

The longer bar, as Sandra notes in her review, is needed because there's some moves where you rest the bar on your leg in the standing position for resistance. the 10.5# curl bar was just right. there's a move where he "sweeps" the bar around, and I used my dumbbell because 10.5# was just too heavy for that.

see 5th paragraph of Sandra's VF review:
http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=2196

i'll try to add to the VF reviews section to break down the moves and equipment usage. it sounds very equipment intensive, but it's not - the clip is a good representation whereby you need just 1 body bar and a dumbbell or 2.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 11-27-17, 03:24 PM  
Richie

Fantastic! Thank you, jeannine, for such a comprehensive answer!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 03:52 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Just found this thread and I might have to revisit body bars very soon. I always liked Equanimity with Lashaun Dale, it was longish but so unique. I missed out on replacing to DVD the Bootcamp one with Andre Houle (so expensive on Amazon and Body Bar doesn’t ship to my region) and I never saw the gentle and fun workout Kickboxing Circuit with Alain Bissainthe go to DVD at all.
Body bar workouts was a fun time for me, I’m up for a revisit.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 04:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagreen01 View Post
Just found this thread and I might have to revisit body bars very soon. I always liked Equanimity with Lashaun Dale, it was longish but so unique. I missed out on replacing to DVD the Bootcamp one with Andre Houle (so expensive on Amazon and Body Bar doesn’t post to my region) and I never saw the gentle and fun workout Kickboxing Circuit with Alain Bissainthe go to DVD at all.
Body bar workouts was a fun time for me, I’m up for a revisit.
Body Bar changed owners at some point. they issued Boot Camp on DVD right before that, and I think they had a sale - that's when I bought it.

funny you should mention Alain - I specifically asked them about that workout, and the new owners said that it wasn't included in the purchase of asset rights. I'm inclined to digitize my VHS and ask if we can load it somewhere, like on Barb's (horsemom) site.

I also want to get Balance Line and Strength on DVD but it's so darn expensive!

besides Alain's workout, were there any other titles NOT converted to DVD?

Tags
body bar, danskin, weighted bar