Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-17, 11:59 AM  
Demeris

Swimming a mile a day. My body never looked better than when I was swimming regularly.

I haven't been in a pool in 18 years, and where I live now, the only lap pool just closed until next May.

A close second to swimming was doing barre/callanetics almost exclusively.

I'm an hour glass figure. I note this because body shape has an impact on what sorts of workouts are most effective for aesthetic results.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 04:16 PM  
SandyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Adding in one Horizontal Conditioning workout per week is key for me
Totally agree. HoCo has given me core strength and definition like nothing else. But I do have to do it in small chunks because it is HARD.
SandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 06:20 PM  
Leonana

Jessica Smith, her You Tube workouts and dvd's. I've done her challenges, but mostly just do my own thing with her workouts. Also, walking outdoors five days a week.

Although, to be fair she's the only instructor I've committed to fully. I started by working out with a couple of Jillian Michaels dvd's three times a week, and had some toning with that. But I noticed a bigger difference in strength, balance, and toning when I committed to walking and a Jessica workout six days a week.
Old 09-25-17, 07:25 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyT View Post
Totally agree. HoCo has given me core strength and definition like nothing else. But I do have to do it in small chunks because it is HARD.
I used to try to do it two to three times a week, but it started to give me some dread, so I stopped doing it entirely for a few months because of that.

I noticed right away when I started doing it again that my body really responds to it. So instead of diving in and burning out, I'm only doing them once a week, and I'm finding this is more manageable. It defines my arms and slims my muffin top like nothing else!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 07:39 PM  
Anny

Kickboxing - specifically Taebo and Turbo Jam - helped me lose weight and get toned legs,abs, arms.

At another stage in my life it was Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred.

And at a different time, it was doing Joyce Vedral workouts (mixing them up, on paper and DVD).

I did each of these exclusively for three months, throwing in an odd Ellen Barrett or Leslie or FIRM for a break and saw changes in my fitness and energy levels and in body toning/weight.

I am an apple shape, by the way.
Old 09-25-17, 08:21 PM  
buffmama

Hammer and Chisel shaped my bottom like no other rotation.
Old 09-26-17, 09:05 AM  
Sharaz

Interesting responses. My main workout “method” is strength training and cardio. I add on my own stretches and do a longer full workout dedicated to stretching when time permits. The first time I attempted yoga, I did UY cardio from head to toe smoothly. I never thought of trying a new “methods” full time because I am pleased with my performance and aesthetics results. Now and then I add other “methods” for recovery and cross training.

Recently, I read an interesting statement in a fitness article “a program is effective as long as the body adapt to it”

During my tenure on this forum I have seen VFers jumping from “methods” to “methods” seeking results or new stimulus because what there were doing is not working anymore The beauty of weight training particularly is progressive overload and periodization. I can focus on strength, endurance, power or hypertrophy. I can change rest periods, volume, split, density, order of exercises, etc. without letting my body to adapt. This goes for cardiovascular fitness too. It is difficult for me to adjust training variables and make progress utilizing other “methods” of training.
Old 09-26-17, 10:44 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post
<snip>

During my tenure on this forum I have seen VFers jumping from “methods” to “methods” seeking results or new stimulus because what there were doing is not working anymore
Now that I am older this no longer confuses me. Totally real and totally happens to some of us.
Old 09-26-17, 11:20 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post
...The beauty of weight training particularly is progressive overload and periodization. I can focus on strength, endurance, power or hypertrophy. I can change rest periods, volume, split, density, order of exercises, etc. without letting my body to adapt. This goes for cardiovascular fitness too. ...
You don't hear the word "periodization" much on VF. I, too, believe that is a key to fitness success.

In the last few years, I am more in to heavier weight training. With bone loss issues, "cardio only" is not an option. When it gets stale, I change things up by doing body weight for a while or high rep workouts.

I try hard to incorporate balance, mobility and flexibility into my week.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-17, 11:52 AM  
warriorprincess

For me it was NROLW hands down. My legs were so muscular it was insane. They could have been on a fitness magazine cover. I was also doing Bootcamp classes during that time because I loved the instructor, and felt the impact portions were good for my bone density, and the cardio definitely makes it easier to lift heavy.

I wish I could keep the motivation to do all those squats and deadlifts. I loved the feeling of strength even more than the look.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggest change, body weight workouts, over 50, results, successful weight loss, weights only