Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-16, 08:42 PM  
Ricka

I wrote you back. (pm)

I cannot speak from my experience if Pilates helps with recovery or not.
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-16, 09:57 PM  
anetta

Can you try Classical Stretch? Don't know if you have access to a PBS station, but mine airs an episode on weekday mornings.

Also my library has a few of the dvds, although I think they usually have a wait list.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 11:55 AM  
lorajc

Okay thanks everyone. I am going to start beginner workouts per se today. It's been 30 days since I went "au naturel" with my pain management ....so I wanted to give my brain receptors a chance to adjust to the pain in my body....I'm going to just try and do a few very light reps and see how it goes. I will even drop the weights and just use my arms at first if need be and see how it goes. Will probably start with stuff like J Smith, TA, Barre.....and Kettlebell's have always been gentle on me....but very light....so we shall see and of course, my Pilates Reformer...but on light cords.

Thanks for the encouragement....I've never felt so out of shape....but I'm one heck of a Kundalista!!!

As far as the Classical Stretch, I did a few episodes, have a few DVDs and when she did the parts where you "squeeze or tense" your muscles.....it made my neck spasm up (the sternocleidomastoids on the side of the neck horribly...same thing happens when I do the contractions in the DDP Yoga...can't do that part). Anyway, I suppose I can try them again without doing the squeezing/contractions.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 02:36 PM  
lorajc

Well I'm back. I did a 30 minute Ellen Barrett and I'm a bit discouraged. I will say that I was trying to baby my trapezius muscles as I just started a "stretch" routine for them, as they are the area that I'm having the most difficulty dealing with right now.....and this workout Stretch & Sculpt seemed to be a bit "shoulder heavy"! I dropped my itty, bitty 1 lb weights from time to time on the shoulder work. It's NOT that I don't feel strong enough....it's that I tend to get problems post workout.

I was really good at the yoga inspired moves in the workout...LOL. I guess I should consider this sort of like when I was advanced and cross-trained with something I wasn't used to and it was "really hard".....and until your body starts to get used to it (like I am the yoga) my body is going to talk to me? Is that how I should proceed? Do what I can and back off when I start to feel like it's overdoing it? What's Tony Horton's saying? (I've been working out so long I seriously can't recall starting out with a workout routine....but also when I started out, I was a LOT younger and in a LOT better condition!).
Old 11-01-16, 02:50 PM  
sherry7899

Lora-most of Ellen's workouts are quite shoulder intensive. I have shoulder issues, and I can't do her workouts without pain. I hope you find something that works for you.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 04:34 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I was going to agree with Sherry...Ellen's workouts always flare me. Always. I love her but I have to be careful and modify. I do an Ellen workout for a treat every now and then.

I hope you find something that works for you and doesn't flare you. Miranda's newer "Age Reversing for Beginners" is so good....I can't help but think you'd benefit from the relaxed technique she uses.

Perhaps Lee Holden's Upper Back and Neck practice? Or something Jill Miller? I use her "On Demand Pain Relief" a lot.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 08:39 PM  
ncl

I would say just start slow, walk if you need to, really listen to your body. I have been injured and had to come back as well, totally frustrating when I used to be an advanced exerciser. I learned that I need to do less than I think I should and test the waters first, less in terms of weight, time, intensity, reps, etc. I found that often I needed to go slower. I did walking, more yoga than I used to, shorter workouts, strength workouts with less reps and way more stretching! I have also learned to really enjoy workouts even if they don't kill me especially if they involve dancing.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 05:32 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Have been doing mainly Kundalini Yoga and having great fun and results with that. I threw in some Hatha and Oh BOY...that was really cross training my muscles...which I know I need.

I'm afraid I'll NEVER be able to work out again. I'm waiting for my spasms to subside. I foam roll, use trigger point tools, do self massage and work on myself better than any therapist i've ever been to. I even do craniosacral massage for my TMJ...........it's tiring...takes all day!! LOL
Hi Lora,
I think it's great that you are having fun and seeing results don't give that up!

Secondly, I want to point out that what you have been doing IS working out! KY can be physically demanding depending upon the practices.

Also wanted to congratulate you on your natural pain control. I know it was a goal for you and that it wasn't easy to achieve. Congratulations on 30 days of success!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 07:39 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Hi Lora,
I think it's great that you are having fun and seeing results don't give that up!

Secondly, I want to point out that what you have been doing IS working out! KY can be physically demanding depending upon the practices.

Also wanted to congratulate you on your natural pain control. I know it was a goal for you and that it wasn't easy to achieve. Congratulations on 30 days of success!
ITA.

Also want to echo the congrats on your natural pain control. That's great that you've been doing this for 30 days and I wish you all success!!

Lots of folks here have said that Ellen Barrett and Classical Stretch workouts tweak their backs/necks/shoulders. That was my experience with Ellen Barrett's workouts, so I don't do them and I haven't tried Classical Stretch for that reason (along with reports of Miranda's poor cuing).

I'm currently doing Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 6 Week Total Transformation program. I really like it. I am not a beginner by any means, but I do need workouts that are joint-friendly. Hers are, and the workouts are quite sneakily challenging and there is a lot of variety. She's a great instructor to start with or go to when injured or needing a break from really intense workouts, and you can graduate to her more challenging workouts as you heal and regain strength. Once you are ready for it, her 40 minute total body superset workout on YouTube is quite good.

Best of luck on your return to fitness!

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 10:31 AM  
lorajc

Thanks ladies - My shoulders don't feel "that" bad today. I feel as though I did work out....but not overly so. I think I did "good". I modify a LOT of WO's...I didn't go "overhead" as much as she did! I also modify my Kundalini my going slower as needed.

I will do some Kundalini today...just a bit as I have a busy day today. Then tomorrow I will decide what to do depending on how I feel. I know that most recently I was doing some TA Pregnancy stuff and Beginner stuff without problems and some Jessica Smith...as well as the Barre 3 Pre-Natal one....so those are options....I also have a list started from various threads I've started.....see...I pay attention to everyone.

Or.....I can see how I manage on my Pilates Reformer. I LOVE my REFORMER!!!! Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. I always do yoga stretches on it too when I'm in pain....you know...with the added use of the straps. My favorite is Happy Baby pose!

Tags
injuries, restart, restarting