Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-16, 07:29 PM  
altinker

Pilates Reformer and DVD's

Hello everyone -- I am interested in purchasing a pilates reformer for home. Can you guys please let me know of some solid portable reformers that will hold up well? I'm also interested in reformer dvd workouts. I have seen the aeropilates units, but to do more advanced exercises, it looks like it requires the box and pole for an additional $129 or so. Any recommendations for what you use at home? If it is completely worth it to buy a stationary unit that you can't put away, I'd like to know what you use and why. Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions and help.
altinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-16, 05:28 PM  
Marilyn

I have the 5 cord aeropilates machine.(the first 5 cord one that came out afew years ago as a special value on qvc) It is the thing I always come back to if I can't do weights or cardio or if I just want to feel really good. I do have the box and pole but it is not required. The rebounder is nice to have. (causes definite DOMS in the abs!) This is the type of workout that I can still summon the energy to do no matter how exhausted I am after a tiring day and end up really glad I worked out. I try to do it at least 1 or 2 times a week.
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-16, 08:40 PM  
Aunt Famous

If you are not squeamish about buying used items, check Craigslist (where I got my a Balanced Body studio reformer for about 50% less than a new one) and thrift stores (I have seen an Aero Pilates at Goodwill for $30). I got the box and the jumpboard (akin to the Aero Pilates rebounder), and I really recommend both.

Reformer DVDs are tough to find, and if you can find them, they are typically pretty expensive. I have been unable to find any You Tube reformer workouts that I like.

I subscribed to Pilates Anytime for about a year, and a few months ago, I decided to branch out on my own. How did that go? When I finish this post, I intend to resubscribe. (It's $18/month.) It is a streaming service with all sorts of Pilates workouts, including reformer workouts, and occasionally reformer workouts done on the Aero Pilates machine. It looks easy to adapt back and forth once you figure out the equivalent spring tensions. It is the best bet for reformer work.

Pilates Style magazine, which comes out every other month, has terrific paper workouts, but it typically has only one reformer workout per issue.

I love my reformer! I hope you enjoy yours, too.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-16, 09:26 AM  
altinker

Thanks for the advice. I am currently working to pay off my car as I want to reduce my monthly spend since my job may be eliminated within the next year. At the same time, I have been going to physical therapy for a couple of things, and I have been on a reformer a few times. I love it. I have been considering whether to purchase one and trying to figure out when I feel that I can afford it and where it will go. I have looked at a reformer called a Pilates IQ with springs -- though it costs $2,000, and I have looked at the Aeropilates on QVC for $350 or so on easy pay for $60 a month. Seems like there might be a difference in quality. The aeropilates comes with 4 dvd's and is half the weight of the pilates IQ.

I have a fluidity bar and have loved barre exercises, but I injured myself in a Dailey Method class. I was performing a move and wrenched my left hip. I have spent over $10,000 on a new bed, chiropractic, physical therapy -- not realizing that the injury combined with not being ergonomic at work was the cause of the pain I have been experiencing this last year. I am slowly but surely getting better, but my physical activity has greatly decreased. Now, if I could just properly stretch my psoas and gluteus medius and finish working out kinks around one of my rotator cuffs, I would be perfect. It has been painful enough (and I have a high pain tolerance threshold) that even doing yoga has been really tough -- especially realizing I haven't been doing down dogs correctly -- I hunch my shoulders.

I did buy KB Body program on groupon for half off about a year go and just purchased a kettlebell. The physical therapist told me I have some very weak muscle groups (though she didn't tell me to work out with a kettlebell). I was thinking that kettlebell workout 2 or 3 times a week, and a stretching pilates, yoga workout the rest of the time would work for me.

I will take your advice and look on Craig's List and check thrift stores. You never know what I might find in these places.
Old 10-12-16, 10:21 AM  
Aunt Famous

Three other thoughts.

One: I purchased this book on Amazon used for about 10 bucks. If you have some knowledge of the reformer, it may have some good ideas for you. Your PT also could point out some exercises in it for you.

Two: Pilates Anytime has a free 15 day trial. (Pilates Style magazine sometimes has a code for a 30 day trial, and if one comes in soon, I'll PM you that code.) Even if you decide not to subscribe, it could give you an idea of the exercises and a crash course in instruction.

Three: I am 48, and the years are creeping up on (okay, viciously attacking) my body. I have eliminated high impact from my life, and I have tried hard to come up with ways to keep me happy, moving, healthy, and looking good. If you are not a walker, I cannot recommend walking enough -- assuming that it is cleared with your PT. It helps me as much as anything else. Between walking, boxing, Pilates (reformer, mat, tower), and high reps/low weights, I do just fine.

Good luck, friend!

AF

Old 10-12-16, 01:01 PM  
Garrie A.

I bought a three cord Aeropilates at a yard sale this summer (with the rebounder, foot bar, and head pillow) for $30. I have three DVDs--the original Level 1, the Pure Pilates level 1, and the newer "Total Body Tone and Lengthen" DVD which has three 30 minute workouts--upper body, lower body, and core.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-16, 01:15 PM  
altinker

Thanks for all of the information. I went out to Craigs List and took a look. There are a lot of Aeropilates machines from $30 to $150 -- most without dvd's though. That would be a way to try it. There is also a malibu pilates chair for $40 at a local exercise place. Not sure what that is and how to use it though.
Old 10-12-16, 03:09 PM  
altinker

I stopped at a used fitness place and found a 3 cord aeropilates with the rebounder but didn't have the regular bar for $75. They also had a malibu pilates chair with 2 springs on it for $40. No DVD's. I went by a Deseret Industries right down the street, and they had a total body gym that looked pretty beat up for $10 and a beat up and really dirty reformer for $75. I should be able to find something used that comes with dvd's and has all of its parts for cheap.

I'm 47 as well and am finding I need to be careful with the exercise I choose.
Old 10-13-16, 08:47 AM  
Aunt Famous

The Malibu chair is akin to the Pilates wunda chair and to the MVe chair. It has a foot bar on springs below a bench, which theoretically allows you to do all sorts of things.

I got a free Malibu chair from Craiglist with the DVD set, used it once, and really did not like it. It was clunky, hard to use, and with the location of the springs, slightly terrifying. I donated it to Goodwill and decided to save for a wunda chair if that's what I wanted. (Others may love the Malibu chair, but since no one else is chiming in, you get my opinion.)

If you want a great piece of reasonably priced Pilates equipment, look into a magic circle -- sometimes called a Pilates ring. It's around 20 bucks, and there are tons of good You Tube videos for it. My favorites are on the Pilates Fix channel.

AF

Old 10-16-16, 12:59 AM  
altinker

I didn't see the reply about the chair. I went back to the fitness 4 less place (it's insane -- tons of used equipment, treadmills, and other stuff) because I lost a pendant there when trying out the reformer. I decided to pick up the pilates chair for $40 and have ordered 3 DVD's on ebay for $12. I was watching youtube (the video infomercial today), and I'm not sure how long I'd stick with this. I'll give it a try though. I like doing the mermaid on it.

Looks like they used to sell it for $350 or $400, and Susan Lucci sells the chair on QVC now for $200 with the DVD's. I decided to pass on the reformer they were selling for $75 because it had 3 springs, and it was missing the regular bar -- just had the rebounder. I think I can pick up a 4 spring with the dvds and rebounder on Craigslist for $100, but no rush. I'll use the chair for a couple of months or so and then pick up a reformer -- unless I decide I have to have it.

Tags
aeropilates, malibu pilates pro chair, pilates pro chair, wunda chair