Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-16, 11:56 AM  
Fitstick

Opinions on Beachbody Workouts

Hi All- I am looking to add on to my Beachbody collection Should I purchase Hammer and Chisel or 21 Day Fix Extreme? Or both? These are the ones I have been looking at. I like full body circuits or workouts that get a lot done in a short amount of time and typically I don't follow rotations to a T. But I don't like a bunch of plyo crazy moves that are hard to execute. I know how to modify but prefer following along if possible. I've tried the original 21 Day Fix and I liked it, did not stick to the rotation though. On a side note, I hated Chalean Extreme -- this was one of the only Beachbody programs i could not stand. The compound moves were too awkward. I don't have Body Beast so I don't know how Sagi is as an instructor.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 04:24 PM  
shoegoddess

I love Hammer and Chisel. I have both 21DF and 21DFX and hardly use either. I did 8 weeks of H&C, 4 weeks of just Hammer and 3 weeks of just Chisel. That's all I could take of just Autumn. I could workout to Sagi every day! Body Beast is really good to if you're looking to build muscle.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 04:29 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Ditto what Cindy said!
I LOVE Sagi! I actually don't have Hammer & Chisel but I do have Body Beast and it's one of my favorite sets ever. Very challenging, especially if you go heavy. Very fun (Sagi is a hoot), and lots of motivation.

Oh yeah, and the guys are "ooh lala"!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-16, 12:15 PM  
jusca

I did H&C for 2 months. I have previewed 21. dsy fix extreme. H&C was really lower body focused almost everyday. It was relentless if you went moderately heavy. I think if you enjoy full body circuits then H&C will probably not suitt your needs. The upper body is sorely underworked in most of the videos. 21 day fix seems more balanced for working all body parts.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-16, 12:42 PM  
Cowgirl32

I really love 20 day fix extreme. I wasn't a big fan of H&C, but I didn't like the instructor.
Old 08-30-16, 01:16 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I have both 21 Day Fix Extreme and Hammer & Chisel and here are my thoughts on both:

Hammer & Chisel Thoughts:
1) They're all total body workouts but some have cardio moves too (there's always a modifier or a modification is shown).
2) The Hammer workouts you can use heavy weights but the Chisel workouts are hard to go heavy because of the compound exercises and the speed (but you may not want to because they have a pretty good cardio effect).
3) ALL the workouts have lower body exercises (I had to start putting in some cardio every few days to give my legs a break).
4) Sagi and Autumn did the "extra" bonus cardio workout and the two add-on workouts together (no background exercisers). The cardio workout is a trainwreck, lol. Good thing it's only 17 minutes long! The add-ons are good total body workouts though, but again you have to get passed their dynamic together alone, lol.

21 Day Fix Extreme Thoughts:
1) Similar in set up to the original 21 Day Fix (plyo/upper/lower/cardio fix extreme/pilates with a band/yoga).
2) There is always a modifier like "Cat" in the original 21 Day Fix. She's great and easy to follow.
3) The warmup is only one time through (unlike the original 21 Day Fix). It's about 2.5 minutes long and may not be enough. You may want to do it twice.
4) The 10 minute ab section on this one is more advanced than the original. It isn't done twice through.
5) The add on workout "ABC Extreme" is one of my all time favorite of the 21 Day Fix workouts. You do the exercises in this order "abs, butt, cardio" for about 15 minutes, then you take a short break and repeat the exercises again with less instruction so it moves a lot faster.

I like both sets for different reasons. Hammer & Chisel is really a great set that gets ALOT done in a short amount of time. Most of the workouts are about 35-37 minutes long. You use weights in most of the workouts so they have a metabolic effect. It's also like getting two sets in one because you can use just the Hammer or just the Chisel workouts on their own.

21 Day Fix Extreme is a nice bump up from the original 21 Day Fix. It's not as tough as Hammer and Chisel but it's challenging for sure. I like to use these workouts on their own for some variety in other sets.

I think it comes down to what your likes are in a workout. You can't go wrong with either set, in my opinion.

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21 day fix extreme, 21dfx, beach body, beachbody, hammer and chisel