Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-16, 06:40 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Walking is one of my favorite forms of cardio, I don't know why I don't do more of it. Not enough time I guess. I do have a few Leslie DVDs but I really enjoy walking outside too. We are having some really warm temps right now, so I should take advantage and go for a walk today!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 09:37 AM  
donnamp

I think my biggest stumbling blocks to outdoor walking is time - I normally workout in the morning before work and it is usually too dark to walk outdoors then (although this summer, I'm aiming to get out more in the mornings). At night I either am too tired, get home too late, or it is too dark. Once we change our clocks here I'm going to aim for a dog walk every evening. I do try to go out for a short walk mid-day at work - even if it is 15-20 min it helps my mood.

I do have a treadmill, but I don't love TM walking. And, I do have tons of Leslie and Jessica, but to me, they aren't quite the same as walking - they are, to me, more like low impact aerobics.

I hope our warming trend on the East Coast this weekend is the start of something good!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 11:10 AM  
JezthePuff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I do have a treadmill, but I don't love TM walking. And, I do have tons of Leslie and Jessica, but to me, they aren't quite the same as walking - they are, to me, more like low impact aerobics.

Donna
Donna:

I agree...I never understood why they just don't call it low impact aerobics. You're really not "walking."

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 11:41 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
Donna:

I agree...I never understood why they just don't call it low impact aerobics. You're really not "walking."
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that, but it's true. A true walking workout would be to just...walk. It's warm here today so I plan to get outside and take a walk for the first time in a long time. I don't care for TM walking either.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 11:47 AM  
KayB
VF Supporter

I'm a walker/hiker. Saw this article on Facebook & thought it really had some good information, especially the parts about what muscles should be strengthened & the exercises to do it. Strong muscles support & protect the joints.

http://www.backpacker.com/skills/fitness/how-to-walk/

A couple of years ago I hiked 250 miles across northern Spain & ate everything in sight. Still lost 12+ pounds & lost the dreaded belly flab. Chocolate pastries & cafe con leche....divine!
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 11:57 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

I hope our warming trend on the East Coast this weekend is the start of something good!

Donna
Can only do walking "too slow" [circa just under 2 mph even without loads] for it to do much good cardio-fitnesswise, anyway - but it's still more than good enough for managing my conditions (provided it is done for a long time) out there in the 30-odd ° windy weather last night (had to for some preferred shopping) ...Probably the low temperature and the resultant challenge to my breathing partially caused this overkill.

I think even if you feel you can't "count" it. It actually is enough, BUT:

I got dizzy toward the end of the walk and was trying to right myself and this next morning my ankle hurts; my knees really hurt ... but it promotes posture and core strength if done right ...

I would LOVE a warming trend even if it's not as healthy or me.
Am really allergic to the cold.

There is a reason low impact aerobics (these days, done in my apartment with my heater on) is my go-to ....

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 12:18 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
Donna:

I bet it is marketing, I think some people may be scared off by "aerobics" (thinking it was too dance-y or too hard)?
So, i guess all in all it is all good though b/c by labeling it as "walking" they may get people to try it - when if it were labeled "aerobics" they'd be too scared off.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 12:40 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayB View Post
I'm a walker/hiker. Saw this article on Facebook & thought it really had some good information, especially the parts about what muscles should be strengthened & the exercises to do it. Strong muscles support & protect the joints.

http://www.backpacker.com/skills/fitness/how-to-walk/

A couple of years ago I hiked 250 miles across northern Spain & ate everything in sight. Still lost 12+ pounds & lost the dreaded belly flab. Chocolate pastries & cafe con leche....divine!
Interesting! What timeframe did you hike 250 miles in?
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 12:58 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Hiked just short of a month, carrying everything in my backpack. Camino de Santiago. St. Jean Pied du Port, France to Leon, Spain. Never made it to Santiago as I caught a horrible respiratory bug & flew home from Leon.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 01:42 PM  
JezthePuff2

It's warm and windy here in NE Ohio, so my DH and I got in a 50 minute walk this morning. Such a great feeling!

Then I popped in a Leslie so I could complete my 10k steps.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, effective workouts, leslie success, outdoor walking, results, walking, walking for fitness, walking for weight loss