Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-16, 08:07 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
This doesn't really apply to my fitness, but maybe it applies to my example as a fit person to other women.

In the past month, I have gotten 3 of my similar aged friends (ages 55 to 60) who have never lifted a weight, or done any sort of "working out" in their entire lives, to sign up for the boot camp I help with at my gym, as well as sign up to use the free weights and weight machines. I'm so excited! They are all overweight and out of shape, and have always worried that they would be intimidated by what I do so were afraid to sign up. I convinced them that everybody can do something. Everybody is at a different level, and starting somewhere is going to change the rest of their lives. That is the cool thing about our boot camp... we have ranges from the very fit to the just beginning. Nobody cares how much you can or can't do, and we're all very supportive of each other.

I also convinced all 3 of them to give up sugar.

I can't wait to continue to help them along on their journey, and to see what changes they can make for a better, healthier, stronger lifestyle.
This is wonderful......

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-16, 11:42 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

My Pilates teacher started me on some TRX stuff. He was amazed that I could do "advanced" versions of some exercises that require a lot of upper body strength. Thanks Sagi and Cathe!
Old 01-17-16, 11:47 AM  
TinierTina

Not technically Non-Scale Victories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai View Post
I've been trying hard to stay off the scale and focus on all of the other benefits of adding exercise videos back into my life. I've only been at it for a few weeks, but here are some things I've noticed:

·Better posture

·More even weight distribution on feet
»»»Might sound strange, but I naturally turn out and have a tendency to roll my ankles, so strengthening my feet, ankles, and the entire leg makes a huge difference.

·More positive attitude towards life

·Just generally happier

How about you? What are some of the things you notice and love when you consistently exercise?
Usually in a better mood.

Sometimes feel afterwards, so incredibly relaxed ...

Learning little-by-little, to stop hating sweat (formerly known as "sw**t) ... I can't avoid it by doing only yoga in my underheated digs (none of yoga is cardio enough for my conditions) or lap swimming (logistically very difficult to impossible; and $$ costly, for me to get to a pool) anymore

I glimpsed those long, stringy dancers' guns on my arms in the mirror ... (hard-maintainer of any muscle mass, so I have to actually work back to them!) for the first time in my life ...

By the way, Non-Scale Victory is a Weight Watchers'-originated term.

I would like to call it non-Diagnostics victory, not so much because I don't support Weight Watchers, but since I use a glucometer to get my numbers;

Weight at this point, is only idiosyncratically a problem, physically.

It is more, to quote yoga teacher David Magone, a problem spiritually ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-16, 03:44 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegoddess View Post
I climbed over the fence. I thought for sure I'd be impaled on the spikes but I made it over. Pretty darn proud of myself
You made my day, Cindy, what a fun story! I hope you get a key to the lock soon. You don't want the police showing up at your son's house the next time you visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post

One friend in particular, who has recently signed up for boot camp and is doing so well, would tell me when I first asked her to come to boot camp.... "Boot camp is at dinner time. I can't do that." (5:45pm) I kept telling her that she could move dinner time. She kept insisting the she couldn't because that's when she and DH were "used to having dinner". Basically it was an excuse. Since she decided to change her lifestyle and do the boot camp, she has realized that she can eat dinner an hour later.
Just a thought on labeling every reason that doesn't seem plausible as an "excuse". Not everyone is in the position to make the same changes and what may sound like an excuse to you, may be a very legitimate reason for another person.
With that said, I completely agree that when we truly want something, we are willing to make whatever changes are necessary to make it happen.
Have fun helping your friends make changes for the better!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-16, 04:52 PM  
cherimac

The whole excuse thing sort of bothers me too. Honestly, I've been very blessed with general good health and minimal injuries. Not everyone is so lucky because sometimes life isn't fair. It's hard to know what's going on in someone's life when we're not living it.
Old 01-17-16, 08:14 PM  
Chomper

I got some blood drawn recently. When I was a non-exerciser, people always had lots of trouble finding my veins, which meant lots of poking. The past 10 years of regular exercise have meant that they always find my vein with no problem and are able to take my blood painlessly.

I think that's a thing, right? Increased vascularity? From both cardio and strength training.

Other benefits, too many to list. Better mood, ability to deal with stress, sense of well being, thinking is sharper, my body feels lighter and daily activities feel easier, increased confidence.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-16, 08:52 PM  
OSusanna

1. Hormonally I think I am different. There's some switch that was turned on or off when I began weight training that impacts my monthly cycle and makes things easier.

2. I now occasionally run for the train and am not the least bit winded afterward.

3. Moving my arms and shoulders regularly seems to inhibit muscular tension in that area. I can report fewer tension headaches and neck/back pain.

4. I have had hypotension (too low blood pressure) in the past and it's now up to a regular level. I still have symptoms sometimes but not as frequent.
OSusanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-16, 09:08 PM  
pricek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I've noticed that even though I don't LOOK stronger that I am:
  • Last year I couldn't do inverted push ups off the wall or my high step. This year, I can.
  • I could never do pikes on the ball. This year I can.
  • I could never make it across the rings at the playground. Yes, now I can!
  • I can do side plank without trembling. Now if only I could get the opposite leg up, hee.

I'm also a positive influence on my kid:
  • Tiny Bubble is doing full push ups, perfectly, just because he watches me. Now, he can only make it halfway down, but he's getting there!
  • Tiny Bubble says he wants to be strong like me.
  • Yoga is way more fun with my kid. He groans and often slaps the screen and seems genuinely surprised when they get up from savasana (they're not dead mommy!).

Awww! I love this! Good for you Tiny Bubble!!
pricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 08:00 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Just for the record, I was referring to the excuse quote just as it applies to people who really are using excuses that aren't insurmountable. My friend was using her "dinner time" as an excuse. She admitted it afterwards. That's all I meant. Why take everything so literal?

I still think it's a good quote. Maybe my story over this past year makes me think the way I do.
Old 01-18-16, 10:16 AM  
ncl

I recently spent 2 weeks away, the first of those weeks was spent with my mother in law, being with her while she died, which was so special, but very emotional. The second week was planning the funeral, having the funeral, and scattering her ashes. Also, there were a lot of friends calling, coming by, and some of our friends who came to stay in town and be with us. Suffice it to say, a very intense period of time and constantly being with others in a small house. I got up every morning before everyone else and had a workout and it was my sanity (and also the only time I had alone). I have done that trip before and not been able to work out (spaces issues) and let me tell you, I didn't feel so good. I was amazed at what an effect those mornings workouts had on me.

In general, being fit and healthy improves my mood and energy tremendously and I am convinced that is why I continue to do it so regularly. I cannot imagine life without movement. It is also a source of fun for me. I just really enjoy physical movement. Love it. Always have. As i get older, when I don't move as much, I have more aches and pains.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health benefits, results, results fitness