Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-27-15, 11:57 AM  
s2546

so is strength & stamina something different or is it just like kelly 's other interval workouts only with kettlebell moves? thanks

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-15, 09:24 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

s2546 I think it is different. I just love Strength and Stamina. You have the option of heavier weights (I'm talking I can use 10-25 lbs easy on various exercises in workout 1... and should probably go to 30 on the overhead triceps extension if I was honest with myself) or lighter weights (probably 5-15) in workout 2. Premixes let you treat it as a weight workout or more of a circuit-type workout but I really can't say it is like anything else she has. I think it would be a great compliment to Cardio Pump and Muscle Up.

The swings get the core/glutes/cardio (optional in premixes) and there are a few plyos for legs/cardio (optional on premixes). If you don't like swings or plyos, substitute some other cardio move and make it work for you, or select a premix to eliminate them. Sometimes I sub stationary running man (one leg, 12 reps each side) for the split switches if I'm not up for it, for example. You could march for the swings, do knee pulls, air squats, etc. I haven't tried it with no swings or plyos but I might just to change things up.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-15, 10:23 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I finally got around to trying Strength and Stamina; I did workout one, but honestly, I found it rather boring. But I'm not into heavy weights and traditional weight training anymore, and with three rounds of each exercise, I watched the clock the whole time...

BUT the mini step workout makes up for the rest of the workout in my opinion -- I was thinking how I may trade this one away but I'll keep just for the fun factor of that step workout! Please make a whole new step workout, Kelly!!!
Oh, thanks for this info! This is where Your Best Body got me; I did like the old-school, basic moves but there were. so. many. reps. and. sets. I only did it once. My very first Kelly was the one with Athletic Step and the all-plyo cardio; uncoordinated me really likes her drill-style, easy choreography step.
Old 12-29-15, 10:51 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
Oh, thanks for this info! This is where Your Best Body got me; I did like the old-school, basic moves but there were. so. many. reps. and. sets. I only did it once. My very first Kelly was the one with Athletic Step and the all-plyo cardio; uncoordinated me really likes her drill-style, easy choreography step.
Yeah, I'm on the fence about keeping it. I like the step but it's only 20 minutes, and the rest of the workout is just so boring for me. I traded away YBB for the same reason; just can't do rep after rep and then set after set. The music is just okay, not a reason to buy it. I thought it had more of a cardio effect and it was not just three sets of really boring traditional weights...

I haven't done the premixes yet though, which I guess aren't the dread of three sets in a row. I'll have to give those a go before I head to the trade board...
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-15, 07:31 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

You might like the premixes better. Today I strung together the two set premixes and still got a great workout. I haven't tried the one set of everything, but that's on my list to try out.

I agree that sometimes YBB seems to have a lot of reps, but S&S has either 6 or 12 reps and you're finished with the exercise. I did YBB #1 earlier this week and it does last longer with the reps but I still enjoy it. I like the standing core work rests.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Old 12-30-15, 07:47 AM  
s2546

thanks Gibbee! I appreciate your input on this. with a very tight budget decisions, decisions...

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-15, 08:40 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Will do, Gibbee! I love KCM but this one is just like so many of her other ones for me, and without a kettlebell and not using heavy weights, so far it's been a dud for me. But since I really enjoyed AC2, I should really give the premixes a try before I write this one off...

PrairieGem -- I forgot to mention that the step is fairly simple choreography and is quite easy to catch on to; she's a bit off in the music in parts, but I think she realized it and got back on beat. The music in the step bonus is really, really good, and they look like they're really just having fun. I really wish she'd do an entire step workout again!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 08:39 AM  
Breezy Trousers

I just tried Strength & Stamina's premix workout #1 without swings and loved it. I can already tell this will become a staple workout. I worked up a bit of a sweat in 31 minutes yet there was no dread. It's a simple meat-and-potatoes workout. I like meat & potatoes.

The thing I love most about S&S is the MUSIC OFF feature. Way to go, Kelly!! So often I can't stand the workout "music" and have to mute it, but then I miss out on the instruction, causing an otherwise solid workout to become a "meh" workout. Being able to turn off the music transforms everything for me.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 08:57 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

I enjoy this workout and its premixes immensely. I don't know what it is about it, but I love it.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Old 01-09-16, 09:13 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I might have to get this one. I am revisiting KCM after a few years away and dismissing her weight work because I felt it was too creative for me. I just got Cardio Pump, Lean Body Circuits and Trim Down. I like the looks of all three! I also reacquired a few others, including Plateau Buster which I sold without trying it. Dumb...

Anyway...I am excited to try these! I have always liked her as an instructor, kept her Kickboxing workout though I haven't done it lately. I like her 30 minute format as well, hopefully these will be keepers! I also have some of her others I haven't tried on my radar but will see how these go first.

I will put S & S on my wish list...
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
athletic conditioning 2, kcm, kelly coffey meyer, strength and stamina