Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-15, 07:27 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Wow, motivating is right - those are tremendous changes in only 3 months!!
I'm a great believer in 'natural' exercise, and walking - lots of it! - is what we as humans were meant to do.

Thanks to Sherry for starting this thread and to all for sharing stories.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-15, 08:58 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

outside walks got me restarted right after Christmas - I made changes in eating though (still not 100% but I cut back on eating out and watched the sweets -nothing too extreme but didn't keep eating and eating all the time like I normally did and kept track of food and exercise with myfitnesspal) I've slipped some here and there but was pretty much on-target when we had our plant physicals here at work in June - my numbers were HUGE improvements. my blood pressure was the lowest it's been since college I think and my triglycerides were lower as well as my cholesteroland best of all my liver counts were back to normal - this is the main reason I got back into exercising - fatty liver

I also rely on leslie and Jessica as well as MR and KCM and various yoga and lee holden, classical stretch for variety but I really think outside walks would suffice for improving health for everyone able to walk, not sure I could have committed to an hour though! honestly back in January just 20 - 30 min was a pure challenge and took about all mywillpower. pretty days were easier but I was so happy when the 'hills' at one walking trail (we have to make hills here since it's so flat!) weren't challenging except watching the slick wet places going down them. I remember struggling up those things - I almost jogged them a couple of times!

congrats to your friend Sherry and thanks for sharing!
Old 12-02-15, 01:47 PM  
dbclark44

Thanks for sharing Sherry and everyone else.

In Feb I went from 2nd shift (3PM-11PM) to days (0730-4:30) and it was wreaking havoc on my exercise regime.

Coworker walked all the time at work and outside work so he inspired me to give it a shot. Started wearing my Fitbit in July aiming for 10,000 steps a day.

I've been able to get in clothes that were way too tight before and people have started commenting that I'm losing weight. My diet is terrible so I can honestly say that has nothing to do with it. It's the walking.

I don't speed walk or power walk, I just walk. I have knee issues and when I try and walk too fast or too long they start bothering me. I walk 30-45 minutes in one session and I do this 2-3 times a day and throw in a couple of 15-minute mini walks to meet my goal. For me it's making a world of difference. I combine indoor treadmill walking and outside walking but prefer outside. Not always able to do because of weather but I will walk on a treadmill. My treadmill pace is 2.5-2.7. So as you can see I'm not walking very fast at all. But for me it's making a huge difference. Haven't had blood work done yet. I'm scheduled for that next month after I turn 57.

So me, I'm a big believer in steady state cardio and don't believe you have to be huffing and puffing every time you work out. I was discouraged from walking because I couldn't walk fast enough to raise my HR into the recommended cardio zone. But once I let all that go and just started walking I've felt a lot better.

I do lift weights and do other toning - core, yoga. stretching. Cathe is my go to gal for my weight training.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-15, 04:28 PM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbclark44 View Post

In Feb I went from 2nd shift (3PM-11PM) to days (0730-4:30) and it was wreaking havoc on my exercise regime.

Coworker walked all the time at work and outside work so he inspired me to give it a shot. Started wearing my Fitbit in July aiming for 10,000 steps a day.

I've been able to get in clothes that were way too tight before and people have started commenting that I'm losing weight. My diet is terrible so I can honestly say that has nothing to do with it. It's the walking.

I don't speed walk or power walk, I just walk. I have knee issues and when I try and walk too fast or too long they start bothering me. I walk 30-45 minutes in one session and I do this 2-3 times a day and throw in a couple of 15-minute mini walks to meet my goal. For me it's making a world of difference. I combine indoor treadmill walking and outside walking but prefer outside. Not always able to do because of weather but I will walk on a treadmill. My treadmill pace is 2.5-2.7. So as you can see I'm not walking very fast at all. But for me it's making a huge difference. Haven't had blood work done yet. I'm scheduled for that next month after I turn 57.

So me, I'm a big believer in steady state cardio and don't believe you have to be huffing and puffing every time you work out. I was discouraged from walking because I couldn't walk fast enough to raise my HR into the recommended cardio zone. But once I let all that go and just started walking I've felt a lot better.

I do lift weights and do other toning - core, yoga. stretching. Cathe is my go to gal for my weight training.
That's awesome DB2! Love testaments like these.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-15, 06:21 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbclark44 View Post

Congrats!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 09:58 AM  
donnamp

I just wanted to say - this is great for Sherry and everyone else who posted.

I have recently gone back to riding my stationary bike - I think the cross training is very helpful for me, I tend to suffer from a lot of over-use type injuries and if I do the same types of workouts - even walking, I end up suffering. I lowered the resistance and pace and it has gone from torture that I couldn't wait to be over to enjoyable - yesterday I rode for 45 minutes! Previously, I couldn't wait to get off at the 15 min mark.

I also agree that this seems more "natural" for our bodies. I imagine in the "old days' people weren't trying to exhaust themselves, and I find a lot of intense exercise to do just that. I think there is a place for it on occasion but lately the exercise world has gone all or nothing on intensity.

I'm so glad for your friend/relative - Sherry!

Pat - I sometimes face the same discouragement especially when old injuries pop up.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 11:01 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I'll pipe in also on my belief in the effectiveness of steady state cardio. I started walking daily about 2 1/2 years ago in conjunction with better eating and lost 43 lbs which I have kept off. But more importantly than the weight loss, which was largely due to changed eating habits, my health markers improved greatly, lower RHR, lower cholesterol. In the past few months, I haven't been walking more than a few times a week and though my weight has more or less stayed the same, there is a definite mushiness and slight spread going on in my midsection. I'll have to see how my numbers are at my next check-up but I am determined to get back to more consistent walking, even if it's indoors with Leslie during the colder weather.

DEB, great job!

Thanks for starting this thread, Sherry, and to everyone who has contributed their stories. All so motivating.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 11:52 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Love these testimonials. Congrats to all who've shown so many improvements. I'm one who would rather spend a little more time doing a steady state workout, than 15-20 minutes at high intensity. Steady state is pleasurable to me.
Old 12-03-15, 12:56 PM  
Breezy Trousers

What an inspiring thread! Thanks! I think I'll go for a walk tonight.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 01:01 PM  
Sophie

Thank you for posting Sherry and kudos to your friend! I appreciate the encouragement and will attest to the other side of that - injury and work stress this fall has cut back my walking and my BP went up (not drastically, but enough to notice) compared to when I was getting regular walking in. It makes such a difference, and I'm glad your friend has been reaping the benefits.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cholesterol, high blood pressure, results, steady state cardio, steady state results