Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-15, 01:31 PM  
Chomper

That's funny. I think of Olympic race walkers, male and female, as some of the flimsiest people in sports. By which I mean very low body fat but also almost no muscle. Less muscle than dancers even. I suppose the really competitive athletes keep their body weight low on purpose to increase their speed? I don't really know. Do a google image search. They're like runway models. That's obviously going to be very appealing to some people, but I guess it depends on what "shape" someone is after.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 01:39 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
That's funny. I think of Olympic race walkers, male and female, as some of the flimsiest people in sports. By which I mean very low body fat but also almost no muscle. Less muscle than dancers even. I suppose the really competitive athletes keep their body weight low on purpose to increase their speed? I don't really know. Do a google image search. They're like runway models. That's obviously going to be very appealing to some people, but I guess it depends on what "shape" someone is after.
Well, I've a little tush and a thigh gap; a modified V-shape torso ... I have to start where I am ... New York City fashion still worships the supermodels (not that I am going for that look - far from it) ... as well as Jackie Warner types ...

I don't worship the catwalk images ... and I had known lap swimmers who swore by practicing racewalking (not competitive racewalking, though)

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 01:40 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
I disagree about walking shaping your lower body. It will slim it down and add some muscle definition but you also need some weight training of body weight to shape your glutes and legs.

Cheryl
Agree
Old 11-16-15, 01:44 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I think walking can definitely shape your legs & butt if you do lots of hills. I don't think it's as effective if the terrain is flat.
I live in Seattle (all hills), and I can attest to the truth of Pam's statement. If you live in flatlands, add stair climbing to your daily routine (joints and opportunity permitting).
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 02:01 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Well, I've a little tush and a thigh gap; a modified V-shape torso ... I have to start where I am ... New York City fashion still worships the supermodels (not that I am going for that look - far from it) ... as well as Jackie Warner types ...

I don't worship the catwalk images ... and I had known lap swimmers who swore by practicing racewalking (not competitive racewalking, though)
I am partial to the swimmers build.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 03:46 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyMommy View Post
I tend to agree with Cheryl. A while back I decided to stop strength training for a while and just walk, mainly to give my joints a rest. I lost a ton of muscle definition, shape and strength. The only part of my lower body that maintained definition was my calves from walking on an incline. My butt completely flattened out and my thighs just felt flabby to me.

I guess it would depend on your starting point. If you are pretty out of shape and begin with walking, then it might be enough to help shape your lower body. But I think if you have a good amount of shape and definition to start with that walking alone is not enough to maintain it. It can absolutely help to slim your lower body, but does not give much definition and shape.
Yikes! Just the thought of a flat pancake butt is enough to keep me doing strength training!
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 03:57 PM  
CarlaVeg

Does anyone knows how many calories, in average, a woman burns when walking for 60 minutes?

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 04:01 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
Lower body as well as squats, lunges, barre, etc.

I was thinking about this while walking yesterday. I think walking does it just as well without taxing the body. Barre gives me back and plantar fascitis issues so I may be a little jaded there.
I just re-read the original post - if you would like to include lower body strength training w/ your walking and lunges, squats and barre bother you body - why not try some lower body floorwork - Pilates is great or Margaret Richard - she does some killer work for the lower body all on the floor.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 04:10 PM  
Aunt Famous

In response to Carla's inquiry, the interwebs say:

In 60 minutes, a 150 pound woman burns 190 calories walking 3.5 mph on a level, firm surface; if she cranks it up to 4.0 mph, she burns 272 calories.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 04:14 PM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Famous View Post
In response to Carla's inquiry, the interwebs say:

In 60 minutes, a 150 pound woman burns 190 calories walking 3.5 mph on a level, firm surface; if she cranks it up to 4.0 mph, she burns 272 calories.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
ok thanks! walked 1 hour this morning and weight 150.... honestly I didn't feel my heart rate going up that much.... I walked at fast pace but I was also walking with a friend so we were talking the whole time.

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
walking