Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-15, 09:16 AM  
bubbles76

Running, not walking, gave me the best legs, butt, and abs ever I am pear shaped, if that makes a difference.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 09:36 AM  
SquishyMommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
I disagree about walking shaping your lower body. It will slim it down and add some muscle definition but you also need some weight training of body weight to shape your glutes and legs.

Cheryl
I tend to agree with Cheryl. A while back I decided to stop strength training for a while and just walk, mainly to give my joints a rest. I lost a ton of muscle definition, shape and strength. The only part of my lower body that maintained definition was my calves from walking on an incline. My butt completely flattened out and my thighs just felt flabby to me.

I guess it would depend on your starting point. If you are pretty out of shape and begin with walking, then it might be enough to help shape your lower body. But I think if you have a good amount of shape and definition to start with that walking alone is not enough to maintain it. It can absolutely help to slim your lower body, but does not give much definition and shape.
Old 11-16-15, 10:07 AM  
Daphne M

My legs looked their best EVER when I was doing a lot of walking. (Like 4 to 10 miles a day of power-walking.)

I'm a runner and a cyclist and I also like to lift at the gym and with Cathe workouts at home, but I was recovering from surgery and walking was the only thing I could do for a few months -- couldn't get over how lean and cut my legs got from just walking.

I'm not sure if it would be enough over a longer period of time though. But it did give my legs incredible shape and definition at the time -- really amazing.

Note: I tend to carry any fat around waist, hips and upper body -- NOT my legs, so YMMV.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 10:18 AM  
BunnyHop

Walking seems to work some of my muscles in a way that other things just don't do. If I slack off on walking, I really feel it once I get going again.

For me, propelling my own body weight through space does a lot more than walking workouts in front of the tv. Maybe it's just easier to increase my pace?
Old 11-16-15, 10:44 AM  
cmarsh4

I know you asked about walking but since I started running my legs, hips, butt and thighs are the thinnest they have ever been. I do all the Upper Body Body Beast workouts but never do the legs.
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 10:47 AM  
Vantreesta

I walk my dogs 3x a day almost every day and have been doing so for almost a decade. It does not seem to do anything for my hips, butt or thighs. The only thing that has ever slimmed my lower body is running. If I am on vacation visiting family and sitting around a lot my injured hip and hamstrings hurt from not walking enough but aesthetically I notice no difference from our walks. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I am more of a pear shape though too.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 11:57 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I believe it depends on your body type. I have a girlfriend who's got a shorter torso and longer legs. She can whip her legs into shape in no time, just with walking.

I'm an hour glass. I could walk 5 miles a day and still need barre work or Callanetics or T-Tapp's lunges to give my thighs a pleasing shape.
I agree w/ Demeris - I think it depends on your individual body composition and type- and also - what your goals are. Why not give it a try? If you find you don't get the results you were hoping for you can always add weights or different exercises to your routine.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 12:43 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I think walking can definitely shape your legs & butt if you do lots of hills. I don't think it's as effective if the terrain is flat.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 01:05 PM  
Vantreesta

Pam, I think that's a really good point about hills.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-15, 01:12 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb04 View Post
I have been walking with Leslie for over 3 years as my form of cardio. My legs & hips are better than when doing other cardio & strength with The Firm which even though the Firm gave me muscles & improved my behind, it reached a point where it was the best which my pear shape would not slim down. When I started walking all the time my hips finally lost the saddlebags that The Firm did not improve. Though walking has improved my legs & I do my own strength training nothing grand still, I still want to slim my legs more so my next venture has been classical stretch which does provide some strength for the body, legs included. I have seen improvement but I am sure if I did barre it would be even better but I am not wanting that now but I can change my mind in the future. I think the best thing is finding things you like to do & being willing to try new ways when you are ready to give them a good chance at success. The most important thing is making exercise a lifetime habit.
I don't need leg slimming - just the opposite; and I need psoas flexibility. I have had to put walking on hold, unless my knee pain gets unbearable (so, for a recovery day). Walking greatly improves (dynamic) psoas flexibility—not Leslie style walk-aerobics—but certain race-walking type moves. Of course, I have steep hills near home - can neither walk fast enough for fun or conditioning; it becomes a necessity (both to shopping and public transportation there are steep hills - I own no vehicle); my foot problems and knee problems are aggravated; and I need much too much aerobic conditioning to benefit from the hills, except for a modicum of muscle endurance, they're nearly worthless as conditioning ...

Otherwise, if flexibility is your aim for any reason, do half-splits and stuff like that .. (boring and they hurt)

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
walking