Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-15, 11:19 AM  
mizvespa

Tracy Anderson Injuries (No negativity; just curiosity)

Hey guys! I'm just curious for all of you who have had injuries with TA. Let me begin by saying I truly LOVE her passion, enthusiasm as well as many of her workouts. The problem is, nothing has ever injured me the way her stuff does! It's so frustrating. It continues to happen over and over, no matter how I warm up, stretch and pay attention to my form. I've recently tried doing her streaming workouts and, BOOM, my shoulder is injured. Meta left me injured to a degree that I felt crippled in my right hip flexor for almost 2 weeks. The only other workout that has hurt me was somewhat was Callanetics because of the pelvic tuck, however I always alternated it with TA so I'm wondering if it was truly the culprit. I have done yoga, plyometrics, pilates and Ballet Beautiful (my favorite), and I've never had a single injury with those.

I am in my early 30's, not overweight and in good shape. I have a dance background, and therefore have proper understanding of form.

My purpose of this post is to try to wrap my head around why this keeps happening, therefore I welcome all feedback!
Old 07-11-15, 12:54 PM  
andtckrtoo

I think it's easy to be injured with TA, especially streaming. She just goes wild and the movements are fairly random. When you're waving around 3 pound weights at those speeds, it's a shoulder injury waiting to happen. I find Yin superior for arms. I also prefer HDM.

That being said, I like TA. I have never been injured from her floorwork, but there are some moves I cannot do because of my knee. I typically skip those moves or find workarounds.
Old 07-11-15, 01:08 PM  
cherimac

I was injured doing Meta. Hip flexor and shoulder. I think it was not being able to see her well and having no cues. Others have no trouble. I always wondered if I would have done better with PDS or something with more standing work.
Old 07-11-15, 02:12 PM  
mizvespa

I completed perfect design with no injuries whatsoever!!!! Mat and precision toning never hurt me either. Meta and streaming I cannot do. Period. It sucks because I actually like her personality and presence.
Old 07-11-15, 02:23 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

TA's stuff really bothers my back and hip. I think her cuuing is awful and it's difficult to see her never mind figure out placement and proper execution. I don't mind her mat workout but wow does Meta bore me to tears. Just can't do it.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-15, 03:16 PM  
mandie123

Meta really hurt my left hip flexor,I went back a year later to try again and the same thing-hip pain.
Old 07-11-15, 09:50 PM  
fidget012

A couple of years ago I fell in love with TA's Mat workout & immediately bought Omnicentric & her Perfect Design Series. Both of those sets injured my lower left hip & back. And I still have issues with my hip & lower back today, which is frustrating. I kept the Mat workout but I'm too scared to use it again.
fidget012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 07:59 AM  
hotncmom

I always get a back and piriformis pain doing TA. I actually pay attention to my form and don't arch my back on all 4's like she does (she does NOT stabilize her core), and I still get hurt. Every once in a while I will try TA again, and no matter what the workout, I get pain. I thought it was just repetitive use, so I lowered the reps by half, and it still happened.

The only workout that never bothered me is the original Mat workout.

I've been doing a bunch of other stuff this year (no TA) and no injuries. Right now I'm back on the Ballet Body bandwagon with some yoga thrown in and loving it.

I think I'm going to add in some Hamelin D'Abell along with the BB mat work and see what happens.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injuries, ta injuries, tracy anderson, tracy anderson injuries