Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-13, 02:24 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
Or a person who has possession of an OOP treasure charges a ridiculous amount of dollars for it, those dollars not going to the copyright owners.

Barb S
Tell me about it! One of my favorite movies finally became available on dvd. Shortly after release, it was discontinued. The prices skyrocketed! It's being sold on amazon for $139. It's ridiculous! I am so glad I was able to buy a copy when it came out and then get a spare on swapadvd.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 02:31 PM  
JulieIL

I will definitely be limiting my BB purchases from now on (though I have kept my BB purchases, which I bought new).

I think what strikes me the wrong way is that, when purchased, it was allowable to resell the items. With downloads or streaming you know what you're getting, including the knowledge that you can't resell the product.

It could be that this is just the tide of things to come for DVDs, in which case it needs to be clearly stated at time of purchase that the item isn't transferrable, as with Rosetta Stone language programs, which only work when downloaded on one computer (this has deterred many from buying Rosetta Stone, instead choosing products like Fluenz that are allowed to be resold).

I do wonder how this will impact sales of BB sets, as even if there is a 30 day money back guarantee, the shipping & handling both ways is a significant expense. I'd say that BB is hoping that people who buy the sets don't know about this policy, with the consumer purchasing with the idea that they can resell in the back of their mind.

Julie
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 03:14 PM  
pcdoctor01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieIL View Post
as with Rosetta Stone language programs, which only work when downloaded on one computer (this has deterred many from buying Rosetta Stone, instead choosing products like Fluenz that are allowed to be resold).
Julie
I've only used the demo of Fluenz but it blows away Rosetta. I don't need to say "The boy is on the plane". Give me something realistic.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 04:20 PM  
casey

Is Beach Body basing their right to interfere with the resale of their product by claiming that the resold product "might" be a bootleg? Can't we just provide a copy of the receipt to the vendor's resale site? Is the resale site just refusing to allow Beach Body resales because they just can't deal with the hassle? I think if that's the issue, the attorney generals office should be notified with consumer complaints of specific incidents.

My dh bought P90x and he loves it and still does it, so I haven't tried to re-sell it, however, these are very aggressive tactics on the part of Beach Body. It sounds like they are sleazy. It's not a legal right; it's a tactic being used to manipulate the market.

The other thing they did that I didn't like was when my dh ordered directly from their web site, they tried to put us on some kind of automatic bill you by the month program for products that we never ordered. I found out that it happened to other people too. Everyone seems to order from a coach in order to keep that from happening. That's the same kind of tactic because they can just claim it was a mistake and you can't prove you never ordered it. I'm sure there are lots of people who don't cancel and keep getting billed and they make money.

It's sad to reward a company with money when they behave in that manner. P90x is a very good product though. Casey
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 04:50 PM  
PhyllisG

i purchased LMP and paid in total. When I got my cc bill I had been billed $49 for joining their forum. I had declined that offer when I made the purchase. Discover came thru immediately by canceling the charge and BB sent me a letter of apology. But I did think I was being hustled. Fortunately I don't care for most of their products so it is no loss for me.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 06:26 PM  
mtnmom

This is just another extension of BB's bullying tactics they started several years ago. Ebay sellers were charged with selling bootlegs and were required to produce the original sales receipt.

Beachbody must have quite the legal department, but they certainly use sleazy tactics.

I have no interest in purchasing their products and supporting their business.
Old 11-07-13, 06:39 PM  
pcdoctor01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom View Post
This is just another extension of BB's bullying tactics they started several years ago. Ebay sellers were charged with selling bootlegs and were required to produce the original sales receipt.

Beachbody must have quite the legal department, but they certainly use sleazy tactics.

I have no interest in purchasing their products and supporting their business.
You know what. BB almost sounds like Microsoft.
This is going to sound crazy but if BB contacted me, I'd do the following: Take a picture of the original sales receipt along with a picture of myself in a bikini before I lost the weight.
That would teach them.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 06:50 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I sold a Turbo Jam on Amazon.ca in July and Turbo Fire set just recently on ebay. I haven't had any violations so far.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 10:28 PM  
JulieIL

[QUOTE=mtnmom;2316101]This is just another extension of BB's bullying tactics they started several years ago. Ebay sellers were charged with selling bootlegs and were required to produce the original sales receipt.

Good grief- assumption of guilt (bootleg) unless an original receipt is produced. This is just so wrong. I do understand that producers need to make $$ ( & that's not a bad thing) or these DVDs won't be produced, but they are really messing with their customers here.

These items weren't purchased with this disclosure. These aren't something like Les Mills instructor DVDs that ARE sold with this agreement. Or even the new Xbox deal where the games aren't able to be sold or traded (consumer knows this from the start).

What's next: BB spies at yard sales??

Julie
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 10:42 PM  
BunnyHop

It seems to me that if BeachBody wants to be THIS controlling, they need to have a buy-back program.

Their setup with all the coaches is part of the problem, IMO, since it further complicates the purchasing process.

If they want the big money, they need to go regular retail, and quit monkeying around with direct sales and bully tactics.

On the other hand, selling dvds is not really their focus, is it?
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beach body, beachbody, mary total fitness dvd's, p90x, reselling, totalfitnessdvds