Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-13, 11:57 AM  
donnamp

I'm not on Facebook! I never really wanted to take the time to figure out how to set it up so that only people I want to see can see me. I also can envision a scenario where I re-connect w/ someone from the past, we chat, but then we're kind of left with nothing left to say....as someone else posted above. It just hasn't been a priority for me to get on FB, but sometimes I do feel like I miss certain things not being on it (it seems that it is the only way some people communicate!)

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 12:00 PM  
sherry7899

Sissy-I have a dinosaur phone too (Virgin Mobile flip phone).

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 12:02 PM  
lilmonkey2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
At first it was fun to catch up with old friends, but after awhile it started to feel like a never-ending high school reunion.
THAT! You have perfectly summed up one of the things I dislike about Facebook. That's the feeling I've had. You reconnect with these people from your childhood and then what? Most of the ones I'm "friends" with I can't stand LOL! On the flip side of that, I've reconnected with a girl I was sort of friends with (we were in Girl Scouts together and things like that) and we have discovered that we have much in common and really enjoy spending time together when she is in town (she lives a few hours away). If it weren't for Facebook, I'm not sure we would have rediscovered our friendship.

I use FB to keep in touch with people that I like (Internet friends from message boards, family that I don't see very often...) but I have a love-hate relationship with it due to privacy issues and the annoyance factor. I guess there may come a point where I give it up but right now it works...and I have fun "hanging out" there.
lilmonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 12:29 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Sissy-I have a dinosaur phone too (Virgin Mobile flip phone).

Sherry
My phone doesn't even "flip" I do have an iPod Touch with only a few apps on it. I have transferred some workout videos and podcasts to it for when I'm traveling.
Old 01-17-13, 12:58 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I just joined a few years ago when my DD went to college to keep up with her. She's one of those over-sharers (it drives me nuts), but if I haven't heard from her I know I can always go to FB and find out what she's doing. I don't even use my full name, I don't post pictures or updates on myself and I certainly don't want any long lost friends looking me up (they're long lost friends for a reason). I have maybe a dozen friends on there, if that, and it's mostly my kids and nieces and a couple of IRL friends. I'm rarely on there.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 12:59 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
I don't like the trend of inviting people to a party via facebook or friending people - makes a mockery of the word "friend."
Totally agree!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 01:21 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
As for me, no, I'm not on FB. Too private, too lazy. I do feel I'm missing out on stuff, but I waste enough time online as it is.
This is exactly why I am not on Facebook! I already am online enough.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 02:19 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit Gal View Post
Me too I also value my privacy too much
My friend gave the same reason for not being on Facebook. To prove a point, I 'googled' her name and she was shocked to find her picture, address AND phone number online available for all to see! Lol. Way more info than what's on Facebook.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 02:36 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
My friend gave the same reason for not being on Facebook. To prove a point, I 'googled' her name and she was shocked to find her picture, address AND phone number online available for all to see! Lol. Way more info than what's on Facebook.
It's not just the info that's available in the White Pages, anyway. It's people posting their vacation plans (leaving an empty house), their children's photos and activities, just private things. What happens when that child grows up and decides to run for office or something and all these silly photos of the child potty training, spilling ice cream, or falling off a bicycle show up? This may all be extreme, but it just shows poor judgment and lack of boundaries by some people. It's this whole "look at ME" attitude. I know some people are more responsible than that but unfortunately, many aren't.
Old 01-17-13, 02:37 PM  
mj476

I have an account but I don't use it. I prefer to use an old-fashioned thing like the telephone. I'd much rather talk to someone.

Marcy

Tags
facebook, old thread alert