Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-12, 08:43 PM  
Aurora C.

Help with a CLX/JNL Fitness hybrid rotation, please

I've not had great success with CLX in the past, but I'm determined to put on more muscle to make fat-loss more efficient. Toward that end, I have both of these sets now & would love to combine them, but I'm pretty lost when it comes to figuring out a hybrid rotation (or any rotation in general - which is probably why I've been so dependent yet burnt out on Slim Series for so long ;-)...I'm going to cross-post this in the rotations section too if that's cool, but I really hope to get a rotation going that I can stick with for 2 or 3 months without getting bored. I'd like to keep the workouts short & sweet because I plan to tack on short Ballet Beautiful segments afterward, as well as stick to my usual morning Kundalini Yoga sessions & evening walks on the beach, weather permitting.

Also the JNL schedule is a little unclear to me, she's got "Total Body" on day 11, but there are two different "Total Body" discs, so which one? And my set came with 3 different abs discs, but the schedule doesn't mention abs once...am I supposed to guess?

I look forward to your responses! Thanks in advance!
Aurora C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-12, 03:17 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Aurora, I would concentrate on the CLX strength workouts for your strength work, and JNL's workouts for some of your cardio. I just bought JNL and haven't looked at the DVDs yet, but I've been doing segments from the breakdowns that someone posted here on VF.

JNL's workouts has lots of possibilities in my opinion. You can either do a full workout as is, or you can do segments from them and tag them on to an end of a workout.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 12:26 AM  
Sharaz

Aurora - 10 min Total Body is different as Total Body Transformer. You can repeat the 10 min workout 3 times if you want to. 10 min TB have 4 circuits - each circuit have 3 exercises (2 with weights + one cardio) 30 segs each exercise as always. It hit each upper body part one time (shoulders, triceps, back, biceps), 1 standing abs exercise and 3 lower body exercises (squats, deadlifts, lunges) This workouts is also good as a warm up to other workouts. Total Body Transformer is 30 mins and is cardio/core circuits. The 3 abs workouts mean to be used as add on whenever you want.

I'm not familiar with CLX, so I can come with a hybrid rotation. I agree with Debbie that may be you should concentrate in one at a time. I think both programs are very complete. Is hard to come with an effective combination, but who knows.
Old 06-25-12, 12:34 PM  
Aurora C.

Thanks for you're input, hoping someone familiar with both programs will chime in. By the way, sorry I dropped out of communication, Sharaz, I got really busy & began researching John Kiefer's Carb Nite & Carb Backloading & have been experimenting with them.

I am used to Slim Series, & it took a while of trying many different things to realize that my body seems to respond best to that sort of workout (at least for my goals & preferences), but my research has led me to believe, at least from the educated bodybuilder's standpoint, such as Kiefer, that perhaps I have too much bodyfat & that's why I tend to look stocky, bulky & boxy when I lift heavy, rather than lengthened, lean & dancerly like I want to.

The solution seems to be twofold, to build more muscle, but to stretch thoroughly after workouts to develop the lengthened, stretched look I'm after, & also, of course, to reduce body fat, which has more to do with diet, which I know we can't discuss here.

It seems though that the more lean muscle, the easier it is to reduce body fat & the less time needed to invest in being like a hamster on a wheel with endless repetitive cardio...& basically setting oneself up for less time spent working out & more time for other fun stuff ;-D

For the last two weeks I did CLX Burn Circuits, using heavier weights than I'm used to & found it left me much more tired & achey than I'm accustomed to, most days too tired to keep up with my daily kundalini yoga practice, but I did manage to keep going for my hour long walk at the beach just about every day. I also tacked on an extra Ballet Beautiful 10 or 15 minute segment after each workout to try & stretch & lengthen my muscles...I began feeling burnt out on CLX pretty fast, but I don't want to scrap the whole thing before I've given it enough of a chance to show results.

So over the weekend I switched to JNL Fusion, starting the first set with light weights & getting progressively heavier so by the third set I'm lifting heavy enough to only complete 8-12 reps with good form. I'm continuing to tack on abs & 15-20 minutes of Ballet Beautiful segments afterward, which works pretty well since JNL really doesn't offer much of a cool down.

I had a busy, stressful (but fun stressful ;-) weekend & today I feel achey & wiped out, not at all up for the Crazy Cardio Circuit that's on the schedule, so I think I'll skip that today & just do yoga, go for a walk, work in my garden & maybe do Slim Series' strech tape later - I like that one, it goes by so fast & I feel well stretched all over by the end. I'm going to search these boards & perhaps start a new post for suggestions on how to build lean, lengthened, stretched muscles...I'm thinking Essentrics, but I welcome your suggestions. I've tried barre type workouts but find them kind of wimpy & hard for me to get into & stick with, so I'm thinking short segments I can tack onto the end of workouts like I've been doing with BB is probably more up my alley.

I also welcome input on the results I can expect by going from light to heavy each set, or if it's better to do the opposite, heavy to light/low to higher reps in order to build leaner, lengthened, stretched muscles...any input at all on what I'm doing is very appreciated! I love these boards & the generous sharing of information & experiences from y'all, thank you!
Old 06-25-12, 03:57 PM  
Cassy

I tried CLX and just couldn't stand the moves so I'm no help on that one. I would think JNL lifting heavy would be good enough.

Also the 30 min Total Body workout in JNL is actually the Crack-a-lackin cardio on the schedule. They changed the name after they filmed it. (Stupid in my opinion because they didn't update the calendar)
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 04:53 PM  
wookiemouse

I know there's a TF/CLX hybrid out. You might be able to use that as a guide?

Completed: P90X, CLX, TF, TF/CLX hybrid (x3), Les Mills Pump, STS (x3), NROLFW, Focus T25, P90X3, Body Beast, Insanity half-grad

Currently doing: Strong
wookiemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 06:02 PM  
Aurora C.

Thanks! That's not a bad idea...I've actually been doing Debbie S.'s modified CLX maintenance rotation with JNL the way it is scheduled in the beginning of the week & CLX at the end. So tomorrow is whichever Push circuit comes first in that series (don't have it in front of me) & then I'll start the 2nd week of JNL the way it's laid out & probably by next weekend I'll be on to week 2 of Debbie's CLX maintenance - I'm allowing for recovery days, listening to my body rather than adhering to a strict Mon/Weds/Fri type schedule. So far so good, but too soon to report on any results yet ;-)

Tags
chalean extreme, clx, hybrid, hybrid rotation, jnl, jnl fusion, rotation