Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-12, 07:52 AM  
isebelleg44

Body Bars

I can't believe that in all my years of home fitness, that I never considered buying a body bar. It's probably because I could always substitute a barbell. I want one now for HC 1, but they are so expensive! I tried looking on Craigslist, but there were none there. Any suggestions on where to purchase one and weight to get? TIA!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 08:09 AM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
I can't believe that in all my years of home fitness, that I never considered buying a body bar. It's probably because I could always substitute a barbell. I want one now for HC 1, but they are so expensive! I tried looking on Craigslist, but there were none there. Any suggestions on where to purchase one and weight to get? TIA!
I purchased mine on a local fitness store. I think the CAP barbell is the common brand. You can compare prices at Amazon, Power Systems, Perform Better and Walwart. Walmart may have ship to store option without shipping costs.

I got it for Michael O. The Body Bar is used on Aerobarre & Aerojump/Sculpt. They use it because I believe is more comfortable for the fast tempo/high reps of the workout. The bar is very nice to handle due to full paddling. Then I got Cardio Combat Surge on trade and found another workout to make use of it.

The bar is used more for endurance in workouts, so between 8-12 is ok if you only will get one. Then you will be able to use it with different workouts in a future. If is higher weigh is may be possible that is too much for fast paced tempo workouts.
Old 06-02-12, 08:28 AM  
Sophie H
VF Supporter

I LOVE my 15 and 18 pound body bars and use them all the time. I got them at FWonline at the link below

https://www.fwonline.com/Catalog/Sea...lates/Bars/ASC

Sophie H
Sophie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 08:40 AM  
Missiscipi

I got mine at Academy Sports. I have a 10 and 20 lb.
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 08:58 AM  
isebelleg44

Thanks Ladies! I also have Aerosculpt, that I can use the body bar for. I also think the padding on the bar would make the push ups in HC 1 more comfortable. Now to figure out what weight to use.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 09:04 AM  
marmact

I have a bunch up to 26 pounds. I bought them when I was recovering from elbow tendonitis (the thickness helps prevent over squeezing). I love them and use them in place of a barbell wherever I can. The only tricky issue (at least with the brand I have) is that they get longer for higher weights, which can be kind of awkward. My 15 and 18 pounders get the most use.
marmact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 09:06 AM  
PhyllisG

I have a 12, 15 and 18 lb. I really like them and use them a lot. I got them online and they weren't expensive. Can't remember the site but I remember checking various places and choosing the least expensive.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 09:24 AM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Body bars are awesome!! No need to change out the plates on a bar. I got mine a few years ago and I still use them and love them!
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 12:20 PM  
Getfit

I purchased mine several years back when Sports Authority had a 25% off coupon. I use mine in place of my barbell. I hate changing plates so its much easier for me to use my body bar, dumbbells and kb for strength workouts.
Old 06-02-12, 04:44 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
I want one now for HC 1,
what is HC 1?

i have an 18# one from sports authority. it's not as good as the real BB, but good enough. it can be lightened by unscrewing the parts - i think i can get a 12# BB from doing that.

i have all of the old BB workouts, which are still really good workouts. they run the gamut from sculpting to pilates. i even have the BB workout that uses the BB and the bosu.

i've also used it for some of karen voight's older workouts too.

i have a danskin barbell that is padded, and i think it weighs 5# or something, but you can put these small, soft plates on the ends to make it heavier, but it's not so heavy and bulky like a regular barbell. plus, the "plates" are like little donuts that don't obstruct your moves if you're doing fast moves.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body bar