Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-12, 10:37 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Sorry for the delay! I've been so busy with work and summer school and still have not had a chance to do a Figure 8 workout! However, I have previewed a few of the dvds.

The set is dark, but with brightly colored spotlights. The black floor is very glossy...almost looks wet. It is very reflective.

The music is nondescript, which can be good since it is not distracting. No words that I can remember.

Jaana is likable, in my opinion. She can be silly at times (raising her voice or making funny faces).

I like that there is a timer that counts down your remaining time at the bottom right corner of the screen.

The dvds come in a carboard booklet. It makes it a little difficult to get them in and out. Also, I hate to mention this...but I noticed that some of my dvds look great and some of them look like they might have scratches or even that the edges are not smooth. I haven't taken them all out to inspect them, but that might be a problem for some especially given the price of the system.

I previewed the Core Cardio Blast, Stretch & Flex, and Lower Body Sculpt dvds. Please remember that I have not done these workouts...only previewed.

The Core Cardio Blast runs a little over 50 minutes. I can imagine that dancing for that length of time consistently would generate some sort of results. Jaana uses lots of figure 8 hips. I wasn't sure why I was expecting her to teach you a 'routine' (you know the drill...learn this step + that step...now put them together and add on another step), but this dvd is not a routine. Instead, Jaana moves you through various dance styles and each style has its own section. There is a section for Merengue, Samba, Salsa, Paso Doble, Jive, and finally a cool down.

Stretch & Flex is less than 25 minutes long. Jaana incorporates some yoga and floorwork for stretching. From watching only, I think I would have preferred if she held the poses longer. Some of the stretches went by so fast...she seems to prefer fluid movements, which is great but then it seems like you are never really holding the stretch for any length of time.

Lower Body Sculpt runs at 28 minutes. Jaana tells you several times "It's about the booty!" Lots of low lunges here (which I hate and cannot do!) with figure 8 arms. She also has some balance work on one leg, which then gives way to a frantic tempo and I found myself concerned for her safety! Jaana has a ton of enthusiasm and it shows. She then leads you in some ballet squats, curtseys, more lunges (lots of variations of lunges), etc. I really like Jaana's personality...she yells at you "More! More!" but you can't help but smile because she is very sweet and endearing.

Sorry I can't provide a better breakdown. I hope flamingoo can pick up where I left off and provide more details. Feel free to ask any questions, but I may be slow in responding since my time is limited with my college courses right now. Overall, I think these dvds will provide a fun cardio option for me. I like these better than TA dance cardio (which I can never keep up with...or maybe I always give up too early, but I've tried her dance cardio several times and get frustrated every time). These are much simpler to follow (because of the cueing, I'm sure).
Old 06-14-12, 11:56 PM  
Susan

Thanks for the detailed review, Jennifer!

Judging by your comments, this sounds like more of a "big system" than her past efforts, but I'm still not convinced it's worth the price. (The price I saw was 3 payments of $39.99, which seems expensive for what you get -- and I hate those stupid cardboard sleeves, too!!!)

And I don't even think it comes with a pencil.
Old 06-15-12, 11:18 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Jennifer - thanks so much for the preview review! I got the Extreme Abs (15 minutes) DVD from KineticFlix yesterday so I'll be trying it today, and Core Cardio Blast is on its way to me from KineticFlix so I'll be able to try it in a few days. I like the looks of the clip you posted so I'm really looking forward to trying it.

I have to agree that these are going to have to be really, really good for me to be willing to spend $120 (plus shipping, I assume) on them!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 02:12 PM  
flamingoo

O.k so I finally received the dvds. I think this was already mentioned, but they came in cardboard holders( aka Turbo Fire, etc) I honestly don't mind them packaged this way, but these were packaged very tight! I have to tear a few of them to get them out. I'll definitely be putting them in separate cases. The package comes with 12 dvds, typical meal plan and for all of your wondering- yes you named it- your very own tape measure

Get Started
Core Cardio Learn-45 min. ( beginner)
Core Cardio Burn- 45 ( intermediate)
Core Cardio Blast-45 ( advanced)
Dance Plyo 1( aprx 30 min)
Dance Plyo 2 ( ?)
Dance Max Drills ( 45)
Lower Body Sculpt( 30)
Upper Body Sculpt (?)
Broadway Body Burn
Sexy Abs ( 10 min) standing ab routine)
Sexy Abs ( floor abs- not sure on time)

I apologize for not being able to break them down more. I only had a chance to preview Dance Plyo 1, where she does very fast dance drills for 2 minutes w/ a 30 second recovery period. Faster and higher impact, but what I saw was not all jumping. Yes maybe a little, but very doable. I'll try to preview more and report back. I'm almost done w/UY and I really am focusing on finishing that. I did throw in the get started dvd expecting it would be over in 30 minutes, but it was apx. 50 minutes long and she instructs extremely well. She breaks down every dance, every move you need to know. I worked up a good sweat! She only has you doing this dvd once or twice, but I'm going to try to do it more. I do think that the better you know the moves the better you execute them- the better the results you'll get. I'm one that never really pays attention to the " moves" dvds, but will with this! She does a great job of teaching them. I for one am very excited about this! I may try to do the " learning" dvd a few times during my last few weeks of UY so I'm ready when I'm done. Sorry I can't say more about breakdowns, but try to at least preview another one soon
Oh and the lower body sculpt does have many lunges, but she uses dances which have more lower body moves( Paso Doble/ Jive) She incorporates dance and does it in a fun way.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 09:57 PM  
kitty12

They sound really interesting - I wish there were some video clips someplace of the actual workouts?
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 05:19 AM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
They sound really interesting - I wish there were some video clips someplace of the actual workouts?
Kitty there are some short clips of her live classes at figure8fitnesslive.com. They are short, but you can get a feel for what her dvds will be like. I just started this week- did dance max drills yesterday and loved it!
Old 06-28-12, 05:31 AM  
kitty12

Thanks - it does look really good. Does she scream so much on the DVDs? It has been a long time since my hips moved that way !!
Old 06-28-12, 06:49 AM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
Thanks - it does look really good. Does she scream so much on the DVDs? It has been a long time since my hips moved that way !!
I've only done the learning disc and the other one I mentioned. She does scream a little, but it doesn't bother me at all. It's not an annoying scream if that makes sense. I actually really like her personality. I had to keep reminding myself that she's a professional dancer because my hips just wouldn't shake as fast as hers But it was fun! There also were some high impact moves, but there was a modifier.
Old 06-28-12, 07:17 AM  
kitty12

Thank you!
Old 07-18-12, 01:45 PM  
pcramer

I just discovered these!! They look like a lot of fun and something that I would like to use with TA.

Do you all still like them, use them, how do they compare to Zumba Exhilarate??

Lots of questions I know

Thanks!!

Tags
core rhythms, dance workouts, figure 8 fitness, jaana kunitz