Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-11, 02:55 PM  
JessieMarie

Suggestions for Beginners Kickboxing

I am recently discovered kickboxing and love it. Right now I have Violet Zaki, but I would like to add more dvds.

Do you have any suggestions for a kickboxing newbie?

Thanks.
JessieMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 03:11 PM  
alisoncooks

My favorite is Cathe's Kick, Punch & Crunch (I skip the high intensity drill chapter). Kick Max isn't bad either! Both are easy to follow and (if you skip that high intensity/high impact nonsense ) are good for beginners/intermediates.

If you like Tae Bo, Cardio Circuit 1 is around 30 minutes and pretty good. Not crazy fast.

If you like just punching, I saw a new Laila Ali (sp?) & Sugar Ray Leonard dvd coming out. It looked like a pretty good, started boxing workout!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 03:50 PM  
lucia
VF Supporter

To learn good form, I recommend Kathy Smith's Kickboxing Workout (it is actually led by Keith Cooke and also has Keli Roberts in it ). This is a fun workout and one of the best for learning from. I don't think Cathe has the best/safest form, although I do like her kickboxing workouts a lot. The Kathy Smith Kickboxing Workout is one of two workouts on this dvd: http://www.amazon.com/Kathy-Smith-Kn...1021378&sr=1-1

I just did the second workout on this for the first time...it is Michael Olajide Aerobox. I liked it a lot, too, but it is just punches and jumproping. I didn't pay attention to his instruction so I don't know if it is good for learning punches.

Also, for starting out, Janis Saffel Quick Fit Cardio Kick might be good (I like this one a lot).

Kelly Coffey-Meyer has a tutorial on her 30 Minutes to Fitness Kickbox dvd but I've never done it. Also, Turbo Jam Learn & Burn is a tutorial, but maybe someone else can chime in on this one, too...I don't remember if it is good or not. Also, Chalene does upper cuts and back kicks differently from other instructors (both variations are fine and safe, though...just different). Turbo Kick has an instructional video called Form & Technique that is good but you would have to get it from a TurboKick instructor.

A Turbo Jam set might be a good investment...I have the the TJ kickboxing ones, the Turbo Fires, and a lot of Turbo Kicks and they are all really fun.

Good luck and have fun...I love kickboxing, too!
Old 07-18-11, 04:13 PM  
katalina

I enjoy the Punch! workout Stephanie Huckabee did for Weight Watchers and also the 10 Minute Solution Knockout Body DVD - both come with 1# weighted gloves.

Right now I'm having a love-fest with Kelly Coffey-Meyer's workouts - but she may be a bit more than you're looking for.
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 04:14 PM  
severin817

I definitely agree with the Kathy Smith Kickboxing for learning form. Keith Cooke and Michael Olajide are a professional kickboxer and boxer, respectively, so they know they're stuff.

I used to train at a boxing gym and learned so much about the form and mechanics of punching, it's made a huge difference in what muscles are getting worked during a workout (lats, abs, obliques, shoulders and arms; as opposed to just shoulders and arms). Learn the form and you'll see results faster, I promise.

Laura
severin817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 05:32 PM  
Eibhinn

Just FYI - the tutorial on Kelly Coffey-Meyer's Kickboxing DVD is breaking down the combinations rather than really teaching you kickboxing, and that's because the combos are fairly fast, complex and, uh, loosely cued during the workout. It's probably not the best for a beginner. I consider myself a kickboxing beginner and I can't follow it, anyway.

I like slower paced kickboxing workouts with an emphasis on using proper form, or at least performed slowly enough that I can maintain my form. Here are some kickboxing workouts I like for those reasons:

- Powerstrike 4 with Ilaria Montagnani - gets a little bit complex/fast in places, but Ilaria has amazing form, and teaches well. I can do this one, and I get confused during kickbox workouts. Powerstrike 4 is the absolute best of all the videos I'm suggesting. Really really good. I think it is the slowest paced of all the Powerstrikes (for context, I couldn't keep up with Powerstrike 5).

- Kickbox Core Cross Train with Patricia Moreno - This is available separately or included in the Cardio Core Cross Train Collection. It reminds me a bit of Powerstrike 4 (which makes sense, I guess, since Patricia is in the earlier Powerstrike videos), except the backgrounders' form isn't quite as awesome as the Powerstrikers, and it's done in individual segments which you string together to make a workout (which might be good, or annoying, depending on your preference - I find it sort of annoying). I like the outdoor location on this one, as well.

- CIA 2705 (Absolute Kickboxing) or CIA 2904 (Cardio Combat Surge) with Kimberly Spreen. She cues fairly well, has a good personality, and works at an even pace. The DVDs have segments using a body bar like you're stick fighting (I just use a dowel) and medicine ball segments or weighted ab work, but they both have kickbox premixes not using any specialized equipment.

- Rumble with Amy Bento (with modifications) - I enjoy the kickboxing segment on this because it's slower paced as well, and I find Amy cues well (which is apparently not the case in most of her other workouts). There is also a heavy bag section you can do without the heavy bag, but I tend to skp it and just use the kickboxing. I would recommend skipping the final stretch, which uses a bizarre weighted stretching technique invented by her martial arts instructor, who demonstrates. The stretching seems sort of dangerous to me and dude looks like all his joints bend in the wrong directions, so I tried to research his qualifications. Far as I can tell, he has no real training/qualifications, and makes completely insane claims online, including that he discovered his martial arts skills by knocking out a cow by kicking it or some nonsense. And he self-financed and starred in a low budget action movie of his life story. There are clips on youtube - it's Ed Wood level hilarious. Beyond the ridiculous stretch - and association with that crazy seeming guy - Rumble is pretty good, though.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 07:11 PM  
sunshower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucia View Post
To learn good form, I recommend Kathy Smith's Kickboxing Workout (it is actually led by Keith Cooke and also has Keli Roberts in it ). This is a fun workout and one of the best for learning from. I don't think Cathe has the best/safest form, although I do like her kickboxing workouts a lot. The Kathy Smith Kickboxing Workout is one of two workouts on this dvd: http://www.amazon.com/Kathy-Smith-Kn...1021378&sr=1-1
wow, thanks for posting this! i'm pretty new to kickboxing myself and i wanted to find something to teach good form since i don't have the time/money for a kickboxing class. they do teach kickboxing at my college for free sometimes, but i don't have the time for it. otherwise i'd be there in a heartbeat.

i think i'll order this one, especially since it's so cheap!
Old 07-18-11, 07:12 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post

I like slower paced kickboxing workouts with an emphasis on using proper form, or at least performed slowly enough that I can maintain my form. Here are some kickboxing workouts I like for those reasons:

- Powerstrike 4 with Ilaria Montagnani - gets a little bit complex/fast in places, but Ilaria has amazing form, and teaches well. I can do this one, and I get confused during kickbox workouts. Powerstrike 4 is the absolute best of all the videos I'm suggesting. Really really good. I think it is the slowest paced of all the Powerstrikes (for context, I couldn't keep up with Powerstrike 5).
Thanks for enabling! I have thought about getting this, and your description was exactly what I wanted to hear.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 08:41 PM  
KathAL79

You might find it worthwhile also to look through a few previous threads with similar questions: threads tagged "kickboxing for beginners". Good luck!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 11:15 PM  
bfit

I second the votes for Kathy Smith's Kickboxing workout. Another good one with a tutorial is Kickboxing for Dummies with Keli Roberts.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body bar, bodybar, kickbox, kickboxing, kickboxing for beginners