Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-10, 02:13 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post
My mom is extremely leery of barbells after someone she knew died from dropping his on his neck during chest presses alone in his basement. So she is always on me about not using the barbell when I'm alone (which I was). Now *I'm* afraid of it and probably will donate it soon.
As I remember, that's exactly how Mark Frechette, star of Antonioni's Zabriskie Point died in prison.

My barbell was one wasted equipment purchase for me. I've used it a few times, but only just to "use it". For me, dumbells do it better if you're using weights at home.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 04:20 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
As I remember, that's exactly how Mark Frechette, star of Antonioni's Zabriskie Point died in prison.

My barbell was one wasted equipment purchase for me. I've used it a few times, but only just to "use it". For me, dumbells do it better if you're using weights at home.

I often imagined myself with my neck trapped under my barbell.
Also my mother got herself in such an anxious state everytime that she saw it, which made me feel guilty, so I got rid of it last year summer, and I dont really miss, it, my dumbells and kettlebells are adequate.

Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 05:00 PM  
mena

I've had the Danskin barbell for a couple of years now and still use it often. It has the purple and orange plates. I was thinking of buying a new one so I could add more weight to it as I didn't know if this one could handle regular weight plates. I'm glad to hear that others put regular plates on. I will try that out and save myself some money!
mena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 05:13 PM  
MsThistlebottom

I have one (bought it for my 56th birthday ), but I use it mainly for the warmup in Jari workouts, bicep curls, standing rows, etc. I'm afraid to use it for any kind of overhead moves (the aptly named skull crushers, etc.), lest I suffer a fate similar to Mark Frechette's.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 05:18 PM  
turbo1

I'm using my BB less these days....wrists, shoulders, and elbows seem to like DBs better. The "fixed" position of the BB makes my joints ache if I go very heavy
Old 03-02-10, 07:33 PM  
wendy2

I rarely use my barbell anymore either. I find dumbbells more comfortable, and I rarely loaded my bar any heavier than the equivalent of my two heaviest dumbbells.
I bought it probably 10 years ago, and I really only stopped using it within the past 6 months or so (mainly due to going a lot lighter with weights in general due to a wrist tendonitis issue). Since I got a good 10 years out of it, I don't feel bad about the purchase. I'm sure I might pick it up here or there over the next 50 or so years... But for now, I'm happy without it

Wendy
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 08:27 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

I have a regular barbell, a Firm barbell and several Body Bars. I only use them for P.I.N.K. Fitness DVDs now....everything else I prefer dumbbells.
Old 03-03-10, 12:17 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Mine was actually my biggest waste of money. I used it for about 1 week when I was doing a Cathe workout years ago. Sold the Cathe workout and haven't used it since. I do however love and use my Powerblocks often......

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 05:08 PM  
FitGal97

Talking Any used Firm Barbells out there for sale?

Hello All

Any dusty old Firm Barbells out there that need a good home? If so just drop me a line.

Thank you!
FitGal97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 01:14 AM  
fitmommie

How did I miss this thread first time around? I hate my barbell. Everytime I do a Cathe dvd, I cringe when she says "go get your barbell' I could never find that right spot, so it always hurt. I feel better knowing that others don't use theirs either. I always wondered if DBs were enough. Now, I know
fitmommie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbell, body bar, bodybar