Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-10, 08:12 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I got my barbell stuck on my back doing CLX Push Circuit 1 over a week ago after squats. It wasn't a particularly challenging weight for me, but I had already fatigued my arms by then and couldn't lift it off. It was actually really scary. I had to kneel down and roll it backwards on to the couch. I bought the Power Blocks that day. They are all shades of awesome compared to the barbell.
Old 03-02-10, 08:13 AM  
bearcatfan

I can't remember the last time I used my barbell .... I think it was when my kids were both toddlers.

I do, however, use the weight plates. They have nice handle cut outs that make them more comfortable to hold for squats than dumbbells, when I go heavy on legs.
Old 03-02-10, 08:26 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post
I got my barbell stuck on my back doing CLX Push Circuit 1 over a week ago after squats. It wasn't a particularly challenging weight for me, but I had already fatigued my arms by then and couldn't lift it off. It was actually really scary. I had to kneel down and roll it backwards on to the couch.
Wow, that's a scary experience! How heavy was it, if you don't mind my asking?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 08:41 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

It's a 14 lb bar and I had 50 pounds of weight on it. A weight I've used for squats many times in the past but not after fatiguing the arms first (bad idea!)

My mom is extremely leery of barbells after someone she knew died from dropping his on his neck during chest presses alone in his basement. So she is always on me about not using the barbell when I'm alone (which I was). Now *I'm* afraid of it and probably will donate it soon.
Old 03-02-10, 09:39 AM  
cindi1

I stopped using my barbell at least a year ago. Even with Cathe workouts and STS, I will grab dumbbells instead. It really hurts my elbow/shoulder joints to have my arm in the position of holding the bar on my neck/shoulder. My arms just don't move that way.

And I agree with Kathryn - I like the ability to position the dumbbells at different angles that work for me.
cindi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 01:49 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I have yet to find mine It's buried out in the garage or one of the sheds...I was tempted by that pretty Danskin one, but couldn't justify it
Old 03-02-10, 01:57 PM  
karaoke_queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcjasp View Post
I was tempted by that pretty Danskin one, but couldn't justify it
Hey, that's the one that I own! I can't say I've used it much recently, but it was just too hard to resist when the entire set--padded bar, pair of 2-lb plates, and pair of 4-lb. plates--was only $7 on clearance at Wal-Mart many years back. Plus you can fit standard size weight plates on it as well.
karaoke_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 02:03 PM  
woodie

Mine are in the storage room. I find it daunting to pull out all that equipment to work out.

woodie

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 02:08 PM  
dianestjohn

I never use mine either. I have given away or sold all my workouts that require a barbell.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 02:13 PM  
DRD0

I have two, and use them all the time. For work-outs that use varying weights, two come in handy, not as much changing. I love my barbells, and definately prefer them to dumbells for leg work-outs and chest/back work-outs. I bought a squat rack this year, and that has made them even better to work with. Did 100 pound squats last week in STS.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbell, body bar, bodybar