Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-10, 12:06 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I just want to mention that my 8-year-old DD has been playing WIO all morning long. I've never seen her this into a Wii game. She's already unlocked a farm and is working on unlocking an airship!

I hope she buys more songs; I'm getting a little tired of hearing How Do You Sleep.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 09:17 PM  
windyh
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post

I use the wiimote and nunchuck and use my step for music in the 130-140 bpm range. Walk 140-155 and jog anything higher.
I do this too. Some of the songs are fun to step to.
windyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 11:36 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Walk It Out is a winner! I'm glad I bought it. (Many thanks to Sarah-lara for posting when it was an Amazon deal of the day.)

One doesn't have to be super coordinated to follow the game. Walking to the music is fun and I see myself playing this game regularly.

There are a few cons though. That manual is not worth the paper it is printed upon. Run, don't walk, to the Konami website and download the long version:

http://www.konami.com/walkitout/

ETA: You can find a printable map of the island at the Walk It Out FaceBook page. You don't have to belong to FaceBook to go there.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Walk-It-Out/139254944673

The Miis are homely and you can't use ones you have created for yourself on the Wii. Both instructors are annoying.

All in all, a thumbs up. This is the best Wii game since Godzilla Unleashed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
(Alta, LOL! Maybe you can put the Active Life mat to use )
I hated Active Life, so the game and the mat went to the nephews! I use the nunchuck. DH and I played the game together and he used the balance board.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 02:09 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Alta, I'm glad you like it! I was thinking you might enjoy walking to "gotta get that boom-boom, gotta get that boom-boom"

ITA they need to add real-Mii support, as well as online play and a more generous unlocked playlist. Thanks for the links to the manual and maps. The Amazon discussion forum is another good source for info (my user name there is "plyopowerd").

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 02-23-10, 03:48 PM  
Gyggles1

oh, so you don't need the mat or board you can just use the Nunchuck ? Im on the fence about this game.... is it just a game or is it like a workout ? my problem is that when DH gets home he has very little patience for the Wii so it would need to be an early morning things for me so kind of a workout if you would say that. Does it get your HR up enough ? Sorry, Im just so new into the Wii fitness games but Just Dance has been a blast so now Im looking for more fun fitness games

Love this message by Jessica Smith
"every step you take is one step closer to your goal"
Gyggles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 11:11 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Ok, I'm catching up to my daughter! Today I unlocked the suspension bridge to the ranch (1000 points; there's a ton of song discs over there) and Lookout Mountain. I still have only 19 songs available And how I wish I could shut off the trainer messages. I don't care if they have orgasms every time I unlock a tree.

Here are a couple tips that may be obvious to a lot of players, but I just recently figured them out

- If you have a "town" capsule in your queue, one with a house icon on it, it doesn't just automatically unlock when you get enough points; you have to go back to where it was and click on it! I have a free apartment building waiting for me somewhere that I can't find. The song discs and arrows unlock w/o you having to go back.

- Don't forget to SAVE before quitting! Hitting the "house" button on your remote is a quick and easy way to pause for water, pit stops, etc. but if you quit out of the game that way or shut off the Wii, all your progress that session will be lost. I think I lost a pricy bridge or two plus a bunch of song pieces when DD switched to another game while I was in the john

Laura, I think this is more game-ish than Just Dance, although it's not like you're competing for a high score; it's more like a "simulation" sort of thing like those Facebook games I don't care for. As for workout, they do keep track of your steps, distance and calories burned each session (calculated by your age and weight/height) and you could make it more intense by jumping, jogging to the faster songs, or using a rebounder.

Old 02-24-10, 05:34 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I bought this when it was on sale thinking I'd probably have to trade it because it would be too loud for my downstairs neighbors. Leslie Sansones are too loud, but this was okay because you can play just by picking up your heels and swinging your hips a little as if you are weakly dancing. I didn't have a pocket on me, so I stuck the nunchuck in the side waistband of my shorts. DH played while standing on the balance board (which was also pretty quiet because we put it on some folded towels and, again, you don't lift the whole foot), but that thing hurts my feet.

And the game IS addictive! I forgot to look at the manual Alta posted, so I didn't know what I was doing but I still walked around for over 1/2 hour without really noticing or wanting to stop. There was a song or two that went faster and that jacked up the cardio, but not to the point of high intensity. It is what you make of it; move your arms around like you're dancing and you'll probably burn some more calories.

If you find yourself wasting time in the day with TV or internet, this is a better option, and that's how I plan to use it. Not really as an official workout, at least not regularly.

Some review site said they wished there were an 'adult' feature on the game so that you could go around destroying the island and also getting in some upperbody by punching the people as you met them.
Old 02-24-10, 11:04 AM  
antbuko

Sarah, I like the idea of throwing punches but I'd rather throw the punches at the things you are supposed to click on to accumulate points. I just tried this for the first time last night and the clicking was a little awkward for me. I suppose I'll get used to it but if I kept it up the way I was doing it last night I could see a repetitive stress injury to my shoulder in my future. But, I agree, it is addictive and you don't even notice the time passing. Probably because you're exercising your mind too.
Old 02-24-10, 11:15 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Clicking IS awkward without stopping your feet. I decided to click on expensive stuff that I couldn't afford (suspension bridge) and then just walk around without clicking until I paid off the debt. Maybe there is a trick to it, if I read the manual...
Old 02-24-10, 11:16 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
Sarah, I like the idea of throwing punches but I'd rather throw the punches at the things you are supposed to click on to accumulate points. I just tried this for the first time last night and the clicking was a little awkward for me. I suppose I'll get used to it but if I kept it up the way I was doing it last night I could see a repetitive stress injury to my shoulder in my future. But, I agree, it is addictive and you don't even notice the time passing. Probably because you're exercising your mind too.
Helen, make sure to download the manual I linked to above. I played the first time without reading any instructions and just clicked on everything and got a sore wrist. After I read the manual, I accumulate steps (chips) and then just click in things I want, like more music.

Our Wiimotes have that extra piece for the Wii Sports Resort game that makes it heavier. I carriy a half pound weight in my other hand to even things out. I also wear my Leslie 2lb weighted belt.

I made most of the settings "easy" because I am lazy and easily frustrated.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active gaming, walk it out, walking, wii, wii walk it out