Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-09, 06:18 AM  
Kathy
VF Supporter

Washing Workout Wear???

I received some really cool yoga and workout clothes for Christmas this year. In the past, I just washed them separate in Woolite but I was wondering if there was a special way I should wash them to preserve them longer.

Do you do anything different?

Thanks in advance.
Kathy
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 08:16 AM  
tlchello

Hubby and I go through a lot of running (and swimming for him) gear during a week and all we do (based on the advice of some other runners) is wash the clothes in the washing machine with regular detergent (just cut the amount in half) and then hang to dry. Never use the dryer and never use fabric softener as both of these things affect the "wicking" ability of the fabric. We actually installed a pull-out clothes line across our rec room. I know it isn't very attractive to have laundry hanging in a room but the only people usually down there are the kids when they are playing. The clothes are always dry overnight and good as new.
tlchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 08:24 AM  
J'Ann

Don't dry them on high. I've at least 8 pieces that don't fit due to people who won't listen to me doing my laundry.

J'Ann
J'Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 09:34 AM  
jhsimpson

White Vinegar

I'd also recommend a 1/4 cup of White Vinegar. It knocks out the 'funk' and eliminates the need for the fabric softener (a.k.a. 'perfume for laundry')!
jhsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 09:37 AM  
caligurl

get rid of the woolite!!! that's one of the worst/harshest detergeants for workout wear! i called a company once because my bike shorts were wearing out and the first question out of their mouth was do i use woolite (i did at the time) and then told me it was harsh and ruining my delicate workout wear.... they said to use a scentless/colorless detereant (so your regular stuff) and as stated above.... no fabric softener and hang to dry.
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 03:22 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl View Post
get rid of the woolite!!! that's one of the worst/harshest detergeants for workout wear! i called a company once because my bike shorts were wearing out and the first question out of their mouth was do i use woolite (i did at the time) and then told me it was harsh and ruining my delicate workout wear.... they said to use a scentless/colorless detereant (so your regular stuff) and as stated above.... no fabric softener and hang to dry.
I agree.
An instructor in a knitting class I once took (or maybe it was a spinning class?) told us to NEVER use Woolite (and this was for WOOL!) because it was so harsh.

You can also buy special detergent for workout wear, like WIN Green, that is both gentle on the fabric, and deodorizing. Or use a gentle detergent (I get mine at a health food store) and gentle cycle on the washer, and hang dry.

I also recommend using white vinegar as a wash additive, as jhsimpson posted.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 03:24 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Wow, and I always thought Woolite must be gentle cause it was for delicate woolens and fabrics.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 03:29 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Wow, and I always thought Woolite must be gentle cause it was for delicate woolens and fabrics.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? I was very surprised to hear that it was so harsh on wool (after all, it's WOOLite, I guess a name like "WoolHARSH" while perhaps more accurate, wouldn't do much for sales, LOL!).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 06:51 PM  
joycet
VF Supporter

Oh my, I didn't know Woolite was so harsh! Thanks for the heads up on that!
joycet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 08:08 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Guess I can tell DH no need to pick-up some Woolite I've found that using a cooler water temp (like setting your water heater to a lower temp...no dishwasher, so ours is set low) and the most gentle cycle on your washer (mine has a handwashing cycle!) along with a fairly gentle detergent is great for anything needing gentle handling...and air drying (line drying) is best.

Tags
washers, workout clothes, workout clothing