Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-05-16, 09:41 AM  
TinaT

Thank you for posting this. I could have written this myself. We have been dealing with 3 elderly family members all spring and it's tiring. Along with menopause and all that it brings. I'm finally feeling like I can focus a bit on myself. And like you, I appreciate what CS offers, but it's not motivating enough to get me going everyday.

Just this last week I acquired through a trade 21DF. I'm prepping myself today and getting it all lined out. Doing all the horrid weighing and taking my measurements. Tomorrow is the first official day. No matter what the day brings, I WILL make time for myself. I'm super excited and ready to have more energy. My goal is JUST 21 days and then I'll reset my goals after that. Small bites I know I can chew.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-16, 05:41 PM  
cpcathy

I am currently dealing with depression in the family and frankly, if you spouse is depressed, then you might as well be depressed too. I've been struggling since last September when I broke my wrist, and I've gained some weight and I feel like garbage. I thought about this thread and was trying to decide what I wanted to do vs. what I need to do and trying to get the two to meet. I have so many videos so I couldn't end up making my mind up on which one to do, so I did nothing! Today I ended up throwing caution to the wind, and threw in Tracy Anderson Mat. I love the music and the moves make me feel pretty good, I only did the warmup, weighted arms and standing abs, and then freestyle danced for about ten minutes. Feel better already. My goal is to do what I enjoy and get some sweat going and the urge to do something more intense may come later.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-16, 06:08 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Along those same lines of short, beginner friendly circuit-style workouts, I recently acquired a couple of Paul Katami's ASAP workouts! I really like his Fit in 15 DVD as well as his Hollywood Hardball DVD. I got a few others as well, but these are the ones I do the most.

His Fit in 15 workout has four different segments, and I use the Arms section all the time! It's so easy to commit to only fifteen minutes. The other segment I enjoy is his Shoulders, Chest, and Back segment. Sometimes I combine the two or alternate every other day.

I enjoy the warmup in his Hollywood Hardball and will sometimes just do the first couple circuits. Has modifiers for all levels, which is nice for many of his workouts!

I also re-visited his Beginner kettlebell DVD which is very good for drill type exercises. Paul is just so friendly and encouraging.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-16, 06:55 PM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcathy View Post
I am currently dealing with depression in the family and frankly, if you spouse is depressed, then you might as well be depressed too. I've been struggling since last September when I broke my wrist, and I've gained some weight and I feel like garbage. I thought about this thread and was trying to decide what I wanted to do vs. what I need to do and trying to get the two to meet. I have so many videos so I couldn't end up making my mind up on which one to do, so I did nothing! Today I ended up throwing caution to the wind, and threw in Tracy Anderson Mat. I love the music and the moves make me feel pretty good, I only did the warmup, weighted arms and standing abs, and then freestyle danced for about ten minutes. Feel better already. My goal is to do what I enjoy and get some sweat going and the urge to do something more intense may come later.
Glad you got moving! Keep doing what makes you feel good, and good about yourself Sometimes all I can muster is 10 minutes but if done regularly, I guarantee 10 minutes will grow into 20, 30 and beyond.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 03:32 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

I have done Cindy Whitmarsh's 10 Days to a Better Body a few times lately. It alternates high rep strength with bouts of cardio. I modify the cardio to low impact. If I am feeling low energy I use really light weights. The upper and lower workouts are about 25 minutes each. There is little dread factor.
I did this one today! Thought I wanted to do RWH with Cathe but couldn't stand the thought of 45 minutes and step work. Cindy's workout was tougher than I remembered. It was actually about 35 minutes including warmup and cooldown, which bugged me a little but was still better than 45.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 06:08 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcathy View Post
Feel better already. My goal is to do what I enjoy and get some sweat going and the urge to do something more intense may come later.
That's great & I hope you continue to feel better! I firmly believe you should do workouts you enjoy and leave you feeling good after! (((Hugs)))

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 06:21 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
Logic tells me I should be doing things like Classical Stretch or yoga--restorative, gentle workouts. In fact, I recently ordered DDP Yoga, although I've only managed a couple of workouts since I got it.

Here's the thing, though, and I just realized this during today's workout: I don't love those kinds of workouts. I do them and recognize their value, and I feel very affectionate toward Miranda... but they don't make me WANT to work out. And when I'm coming off a slump... what I really need are workouts I WANT to do! Yoga and CS and posture/flexibility rotations need to wait until I'm in a better groove.
I hear you on this, Gem, truly. But my injuries last year were such that I couldn't even manage easier versions of my faves. CS and MELT were so helpful! I had to redefine what a 'workout' meant. But it's great that you have ID'd some fun, doable options for where you are now!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 07:02 PM  
OSusanna

I've written a few times about this before, but I really love the Unplugged Series from Margaret Richard for this very thing. I like that the workouts are short, that they can be as hard or as easy as I make them and that I can take that 25 minutes of weights and add on what ever cardio I'm up to doing. I think it's a great reboot option when I am lower than I should be but want to get something accomplished. I did this for several months and then I've been floundering a bit. So I need to start something else. But if it doesn't work out I'm going back to the Unplugged series.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner circuits, gentle exercise, restarting, working out after illness