Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-16, 11:07 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

RE the sleep issue, hotncmom's doctor gave her excellent advice in terms of beginning to reset the sleep cycle (speaking as a clinical psychologist). Insomnia can develop into a habit when the brain makes an association between being in bed and NOT sleeping. So, instead of going to bed at midnight and lying awake for 3 hours, it's much better to go to bed when you've actually been falling asleep--which might be more like 3 a.m.--so that you're not lying in bed awake. And, if you doing fall asleep right away, it's very, VERY important to get out of bed!!! Again, you want to break that association between being in bed and NOT sleeping--so it's best to get up and do something quiet (such as reading) until you feel sleeping again.

All of the behavioral strategies that hotncmom suggested were excellent as well, especially avoiding blue screens before bedtime (and even better, begin dimming the lights in your house at sundown).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 12:11 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
There may already be a thread on here about this but I searched and couldn't find it.

I have a HUGE problem with sticking to a rotation, as many of us do.

My problem is that due to recent menopause-related problems (including a long bout of insomnia), I now weigh 15 lbs. more than I'd like and most of my clothes don't fit. I'm more interested in seeing my clothes loosen up than scale weight, obviously, but in my case one size seems to be the equivalent of about 7 lbs.

I am able to do something every day, but I really need to match my workouts to my energy at this time in my life. Which makes it really hard to stick to a rotation. I started Evolution 20 last week and got through all the workouts, but even a 20 minute high intensity (with modifications) made me feel wiped out. I also immediately started thinking about how to sub out the pilates and yoga from the set with "better" workouts.

Isn't the most important thing consistency and some variety (for instance, not always doing cardio)? I've got that in spades. I try to walk outside most days (for at least 30 minutes), plus do a strength-based video workout. Some days I have the energy for an hour-long Ultimate Yogi, and some days I do 20-40 minutes of Jessica Smith or barre, pilates, or yoga.

The main thing is keeping my cortisol low so that I don't overeat. With not sleeping well, my body is always looking for energy sources and that's not always the healthiest choice. I DO know how to eat healthy, so I don't need any advice on that, but I know that if I stress my body too much, I will go for the poor choices, so I need to be mindful of my energy levels for the day and not push myself in a workout just because it's on the schedule.

So all that being said, I know that some of you have mentioned losing weight when you backed off, or even when you were on vacation just doing a lot of walking and no formal exercise.

I've gone through my workouts and pulled out everything that appeals to me right now, including some oldies but goodies. I really love the idea of revisiting some of the workouts that worked for me in the beginning.

So the plan is a walking goal of 4-5 miles/day plus 20-45 minutes a day of a workout (depending on intensity, and of course, the amount of time I have available that day).

Has anyone toned up (lost weight, fit into clothes better) just doing random workouts of whatever they felt like?

I'm thinking consistency is more important than what you do!
I do not follow any rotation per se, and like you, gauge my workouts based mainly on my energy level and what appeals to me in the moment. That said, I do have a basic plan that incorporates several cardio workouts per week of varying intensity and duration, at least one upper and one lower body strength workout, one total body endurance workout, 3-4 core and ab workouts, plus stretching. I also monitor calories using an app; I have found this to be essential in order to lose weight (otherwise I am very good at convincing myself that I ate less than I really did ). I agree with you that consistency is important.

For insomnia, check out this book: Say Goodnight to Insomnia.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 12:39 AM  
lorajc

Quote:
Isn't it just sinful that so many of our doctors are not sympathetic as to how much poor sleep affects your health and quality of life?

My doctor (a neurologist who I only got in to see because there was a cancellation) referred me to a sleep psychologist (and also another woman that does hypnotherapy), and there's an almost 3 month wait for a new patient appointment! He said most GP's just prescribe meds, but that therapy was much more effective. The only problem is that there's not enough people who specialize in insomnia so there's an exceptionally long wait.

Sleep labs/sleep studies are mainly for people who struggle with sleep apnea or restless leg syndrome. For people, like me, that just lie awake all night in limbo (without meds), the sleep labs aren't very helpful. Because of not sleeping well (and the carb cravings that result), I have about 15 unwanted lbs. but I'm not quite overweight yet.

Right now I'm on a low dose of clonazepam + hydroxyzine (an antihistamine) and I also take supplements based on my own research (B6 which helps with melatonin synthesis in the body and Relora for hot flashes). I have a backup prescription for clonodine (a BP medication) for hot flashes but I haven't filled it yet.

A while back I bought out Vitamin Shoppe: 5-HTP, Melatonin, valerian, hops, etc. and none of it did a bit of good. Benadryl doesn't work. I drink chamomile tea with lavender and I don't think that helps much.

I get tired and sleepy but my brain won't shut down. I'm not lying awake worrying but it's like I have a radio station going on in my brain with low volume with random thoughts.

I don't think there's really a magic pill for this. There's risk in taking sleep meds long-term but there's risk in not sleeping well also. It's a real problem, especially for women.

A lot of doctors don't take our symptoms seriously, and frequently they try to give us anti-depressants for insomnia and hot flashes.

In fact, I went for 10 years undiagnosed with hypothyroid while doctors tried to give me antidepressants (my main complaint was fatigue).

Oh gosh...I really feel for you....then you are like me......NOTHING works for you, not even medication. I hate to get personal and say what kinds of meds I take but to be totally honest, I take Ambien and it does NOTHING. I've taken it for YEARS. The thing that helps me most is the natural Dr. Bach's sleep formula and Calms Forte from the Drug Store...but I take megadoses.....plus I do the sleep deprivation thing.

I find if I get more than 6 hours of sleep any nite....I'm like a turned on lite bulb buzzing around!! or should I say The Energizer Bunny. If I get 8 hours sleep a couple nites in a row....I will be up 3 nites straight. It's a horrible feeling to lie in bed....count sheep and every other thing!! Then I start having panic attacks and get all crazy. It really is horrible. Nobody should have to go thru it!! My heart goes out to you.

Another good natural thing......not that it works...but it is relaxing with the other things is Lavender & Chamomile Oil on a cotton ball under your pillow case or directly placed under your nose...or if you get it in a spray form, spritz your pillow with it. I know it sounds silly but.....the power of aromatherapy is effective.

And yes, Lemon Balm is in a lot of the OTC supllements I buy with Valerian Root and Melatonin.

Oh...and what about yoga to help sleep?

Be gentle with yourself while your body is going thru changes...also!

ETA: When I worked for the Doc's that did Sleep Studies -- the prescribed the sleep deprivation schedule.....and slowly scaling back your sleep...so that you sleep only say 5 hours and make yourself tired and then work a routine out accordingly.....and then as Toaster suggests above....You don't stay in bed and lie awake.......you get out of bed when you can't sleep.....as your bed is supposed to remain associated with sleep. They talked a lot about your circadian rhythms being out of whack too. Just curious have you ever worked a shift job? where you worked odd hours?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 07:07 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Yes, that's all covered. Seeing a doctor and doing all the sleep hygiene things.
Wow, you certainly have been working hard on getting zzz's. Thanks for posting all those tips.

I went through peri/meno symptoms in late 40's, and lack of sleep, between night sweats (slept on the floor some nights!) and jumping awake at every little noise, was the hardest part. I gained a lot of weight as a result of no energy and raging cravings. Today I'm getting my groove back and losing the weight. I hope it ends soon and you can find relief.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 07:47 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I hesitated to post because I'm sure what I'm saying won't be helpful to you now but when I was going through perimenopause I had the terrible sleep issues and constant cravings that I gave into and my workouts were nil and I gained weight. After menopause is when I was able to lose weight and it was just controlling my eating and random workouts. My sleep still isn't great, I wake up often during the night, but I usually do manage to fall back to sleep but I have an active job and often am tired so that helps. The only reason I say this isn't helpful now is because it took me until I was postmenopausal to get a handle on all this. But at least it might help to know that there is a possible light at the end of the tunnel.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food journal, food logging, insomnia, my fitness pal, results, rotationally challenged, rotations, sleep, workout log