Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-08-14, 03:41 PM  
PrairieGem

I just got back from Kohl's, and was disappointed in their overall selection (it's that in-between season, alas). HOWEVER, one thing that caught my eye that might be perfect, was their Tek Gear fitness dresses! I know, you're asking yourself, "What in the heck is a fitness dress?" And I did, too--except I remembered that Alison was looking for something to wear on vacation. They had two styles, tank and surplice, both with built-in shelf bras, and both in multiple colors. I'm a medium/large in fitness wear, so I tried on the large. I didn't think the bra was terribly supportive, but otherwise the fit was good, and the dress was really cute! If *I* were going on a beach vacation, I'd have snapped one up in a second.

Let's see if this pic works...

Old 07-08-14, 03:45 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
I just got back from Kohl's, and was disappointed in their overall selection (it's that in-between season, alas). HOWEVER, one thing that caught my eye that might be perfect, was their Tek Gear fitness dresses! I know, you're asking yourself, "What in the heck is a fitness dress?" And I did, too--except I remembered that Alison was looking for something to wear on vacation. They had two styles, tank and surplice, both with built-in shelf bras, and both in multiple colors. I'm a medium/large in fitness wear, so I tried on the large. I didn't think the bra was terribly supportive, but otherwise the fit was good, and the dress was really cute! If *I* were going on a beach vacation, I'd have snapped one up in a second.

Let's see if this pic works...

Ooohhh, that is fantastic!
I am heading to Kohl's tomorrow, so I'll definitely be on the lookout for it! Did it have anything under the skirt? (Like how running skirts have built in underpants or bike shorts?)
ETA: Followed the link... looks like it's just a dress... but I could easily throw something short under it, boy shorts or something...

Thanks for pointing this out!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 03:49 PM  
PrairieGem

Yay! Hope it works for you. (If you can't find it in your store, they often have free shipping from the website, and returns in store are super easy. In fact, that's what I was doing there--returning the three pairs of shoes and two maxi dresses that didn't work out. :b)

I forgot to mention, one thing I *really* like about the brands Kohl's carries--Fila and Tek Gear--is that they appreciate the fact that active women might have curves--you know, busts and hips? And that runners are not necessarily all built like runners. I couldn't find a hoodie to zip closed over my hips in prestige brands or sporting good store lines like Columbia, until I went to an XL (I'm an 8/10). Ridiculous!! At Kohl's, the mediums fit medium-sized women.
Old 07-08-14, 07:18 PM  
amery

I have one of those dresses and it is soooooo comfortable....and my husband complimented me when I wore it,and he usually doesn't say much about what I wear.
amery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 08:02 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post

I forgot to mention, one thing I *really* like about the brands Kohl's carries--Fila and Tek Gear--is that they appreciate the fact that active women might have curves--you know, busts and hips? And that runners are not necessarily all built like runners. ...
Amen to this! I weigh 132lbs, am 5'3" (very curvy) and find myself buying x-larges and larges in most sportswear lines.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 08:41 PM  
fitgirl-atx

I will add that I have had great luck with the clearance section at Sports Authority. I picked up some great items over the weekend. They had a lot to choose from in L/Xl, which is my preferred size. For example, I got a pair of Under Armour shorts for $7.99, and several name brand tanks for under $10 each!

Laugh Often. Love Unconditionally. Live Beautifully.
DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos. I have also appeared as a cast member in a fitness DVD series. For details, please see my profile.
fitgirl-atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 05:29 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

JCPenneys carries Xersion and they have larger sizes. I know a couple of people who have bought their workout wear in XL and plus sizes and love it.

Champion (catalog) carries some larger-size workout clothes, too.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 05:48 PM  
alisoncooks

Well, I went to Kohl's and had no luck. No fitness dresses at all.
*sigh*
Since we leave for our vacation on Saturday, I have no desire to do any more shopping, LOL. I'm shopped out. Perhaps I'll just hit up my local, favorite thrift store tomorrow and see if I get lucky.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 10:05 PM  
PrairieGem

Well, bummer! I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time on your vacation, whatever you're wearing!

Tags
bigger gals workout gear, workout clothes