Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-11, 12:40 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Why do the balls always have to be bright pink? Can't we have a nice black or grey ball? Or even red? Or maybe a nice barely-pink ballet pink. I've made peace with the olive and acid greens that have been popping up lately since they kind of coordinate with my room and other equipment but I've never been a hot pink lover, even in the 60s and 70s.

Since I got an order of DVDs just before leaving town suddenly for 6 weeks for a family emergency and haven't even done the 4 DVDs I brought once apiece, I'm hoping I'll feel like I have a whole new collection when I get home at the end of the week and won't buy this with another ball I don't need in a color I don't want even though I really like the look of the workout. As if.

My Pilates instructor would love how far off the ground the shoulders are for the single leg and single straight leg stretches. I assume the pushups and cobra-ish move with hands on the ball are short enough to easily skip (see signature). Maybe I could trade for the workout with someone who just wants the ball but I expect most people will be wanting to trade away the ball not the DVD.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 05:20 AM  
buffmama

Has anyone gotten this yet? Any reviews? TIA.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 08:47 PM  
suegy3

Any reviews yet? TIA!
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 08:56 PM  
shelleyann

I have it and love it! It moves quickly from exercise to exercise in an almost flowing manner. Not too quickly that you cannot transition, but without a lot of discussion over every exercise. It is rather fluid.

I love the way she uses the ball, not as a prop, but also not supporting full body weight, which makes me feel wobbly and like it is going to pop! For example, she puts the ball behind the knee, in the crook of your leg and you do forward and back swings with knee slightly bent. It really gets into your hamstring with the ball there since you are squeezing it and also forces you to maintain good form and not swing wildly. She also uses the ball to do an exercise and then stretch with it right after. For example, you put the ball between your shoulder blades and do a curl, very supported and targeted, then you arch back over it to stretch your abdominal wall out, very nice stretch. I will say there is one exercise where you do a tricep push-up (not many) with your hands on the ball, which I didn't care for, but I just put my hands on the floor, so it was not a big deal. I liked the ball a lot in this dvd. I felt like it enhanced the moves, whereas in Andrea Rogers Pilates with a ball, it seemed awkward and really hard to me.

I also like that there are two different segments that are short. You can do a 20 min. or a 30 min. or do both if you want a longer workout. The setting is pretty, as in all Element dvds. I found it to be not too hard and not too easy. Of course that could just be me, but I really enjoyed it. Hope this helps!

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 07:25 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Great review, shelley. Thanks. This has been on my wishlist and it sounds like something I would really enjoy.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 08:29 PM  
suegy3

Thanks for the great review! It sounds really good. I considered Andrea's Pilates workout but the reviews stopped me from getting it. But this review is very good. And I really need to strengthen my core.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 01:21 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I did the whole 50 minutes at once and liked it but can't say that I loved it. There were some challenging moves and some pretty standard moves. I also liked the use of the ball for the most part. She never did a lot of repetitions of any move.

I had sore hamstrings the next day so it definitely worked those well!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 07:18 PM  
Orlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
I considered Andrea's Pilates workout but the reviews stopped me from getting it. But this review is very good. And I really need to strengthen my core.
I haven't done the whole of Andrea's DVD, so I can't comment on it as a whole. But I the legs/butt segment. It really works me hard in a short period of time. And it's not like I'm Hercules, but I have been doing Pure Barre classes 3x/wk for months and still this little 10-minute mini-workout does the trick. I like her a lot. (Her Xtend hurt my knees, however, so I don't do that anymore.)

So for me, it's worth it, even for that one segment. It's kind of like Rodney Yee's AM Yoga for Your Week. I've done just the forward bends segment, but like 100 times by now. Love it. Perfect before bed. Totally worth the investment just for that.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 07:19 PM  
Orlita

And I'm so tempted by this one, too. But I'll wait for the price to drop.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 07:52 PM  
alisoncooks

This one should be shipping with my new Ellen. Can't wait to give it a try! (Really looking forward to the short workout times...)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
element, element pilates, lisa hubbard, mini ball, pilates mini ball, total body pilates kit