Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-11, 02:02 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Question Plus size and being overweight

What is the difference in being a Plus size model and being considered overweight?

If you're a plus size, that means you're not overweight? so it's okay to be overweight?

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 02:11 PM  
suegy3

I would that assume it's the same thing. Just a different way to express it. Fat would be another word I guess but it sounds more harsh.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 02:18 PM  
CharM

"curvy" is another nice word for fat or overweight. I see people who say they "have curves", but they're really just overweight.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 02:22 PM  
KathAL79

The definition of and requirements for a plus-sized fashion model vary slightly from agency to agency, but any woman who wears over a size 8 is considered plus-sized (and for some place size 8s and even some 6s are included under "plus-sized"). Considering most professional models are 5'9" or taller, that does not necessarily mean they are overweight, depending upon their body type, etc. I would think it would be very difficult for a woman who wears more than a size 12 or 14, which is often cited as the "average" size of an American woman these days, to secure a professional modeling contract.

All that said, popular use of "plus-sized" does not necessarily follow the fashion industry standards.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 02:22 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM View Post
"curvy" is another nice word for fat or overweight. I see people who say they "have curves", but they're really just overweight.

I don't agree with this, but I guess some people do. To me, having curves means that one is not built straight up and down. Kari Anderson fits this description of non-curvy. At one time, so did Holly Robinson before the babies. I have said that I have curves, meaning that I have plenty of hips, butt, and thighs Jennifer Lopez and Kim Kardashian, definitely not fat or overweight, but definitely have curves.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 02:23 PM  
Hej

I believe many "plus size" models are sizes 12 or 14, very tall, and often quite well toned. They may not be "overweight" according to BMI or other measures, but most certainly are overweight in the high fashion world. Some plus size models are size 18 models or larger, and I suppose they would be more likely to be "overweight" according to BMI
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 02:26 PM  
slysam

I am under the impression that many if not all "plus sized" models are not actually plus sized. Isn't plus sized usually starting with size 16, often 18 or more? I am quite large in the chest (34e or 32g if I can find it) and sometimes can not find button down tops that fit comfortably so I have on occasion ventured into the plus sized department for button down tops or jackets and found their smallest tops sometimes could work with alteration to make them smaller in the waist, etc. But I've noticed the models in posters in some of these stores look like they have a similar build to me but taller (like all models) so I would be surprised if they could wear the clothing sold in plus sized stores unaltered either.

But on your point, I imagine some women who wear these sizes might be quite tall, big boned, busty or muscular. On a shorter woman wearing these sizes might be overweight as I am a bit overweight but still fit within standard sizing (other than some tops) so if I fit plus sized I would be technically obese. But from a marketing point of view it would make no sense to label your clothing "overweight sizes" and I think there are some plus sized women who are not actually over-fat they just have a larger build.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 02:26 PM  
Hej

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM View Post
Well, if you have DD breasts and a small waist and perky behind you are going to be "curvy" and you can be super fit and in the mid range of "ideal" BMI. I know. When I'm in my best shape I'm there.
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 02:32 PM  
slysam

Lol! It looks like a few others posted at the same time as my typing. Sorry for being repetitive.

Also, I kind of get annoyed when people use the word "curvy" as a euphanism for overweight. In my opinion curvy refers to a descriptive term for women with a build that looks curvy like a pear or hourglass shaped woman. Such a woman might be overweight or they might be slim like Halle Berry, Selma Hyak, J-Lo, Beyonce, Shakira, etc. Similarly an overweight woman might not look curvy at all it just depends on where she carries her bodyfat.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 02:42 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I don't agree with this, but I guess some people do. To me, having curves means that one is not built straight up and down. Kari Anderson fits this description of non-curvy. At one time, so did Holly Robinson before the babies. I have said that I have curves, meaning that I have plenty of hips, butt, and thighs Jennifer Lopez and Kim Kardashian, definitely not fat or overweight, but definitely have curves.
those i would consider curvy but not plus size. Also, not over weight.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote