Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-11, 10:33 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

What instructors are 100% crunch-free?

Are there any (on video, that is) that have gotten on the ball, so to speak, and given up crunches?

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 10:53 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I wonder if Jackie Warner has. She has crunches in older DVD's but has more recently said they are a waste of time and that she doesn't do them. She also has that Crunch Free Abs DVD.

I'll be interested to hear of others too. It seems like all of the research is headed this way and that has been a godsend for my back, but it hasn't yet translated into many DVD's. Just books and articles.
Old 02-04-11, 11:40 AM  
in paris

There's Hip Hop Abs...
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 12:22 PM  
AnMrsDe

Emily S.'s V-Core (there are some similar crunch exercises in the Floor Core, but not "true" crunches--mostly plank work). The first two workouts consists of all standing core work.

Shaun T's Rockin' Body (probably similar to Hip Hop Abs? I'm not sure since I haven't done HHA), but guessing the standing core work is similar.
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 12:33 PM  
anik

Barre3! Love this one.
anik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 01:23 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post
I wonder if Jackie Warner has. She has crunches in older DVD's but has more recently said they are a waste of time and that she doesn't do them. She also has that Crunch Free Abs DVD.

I'll be interested to hear of others too. It seems like all of the research is headed this way and that has been a godsend for my back, but it hasn't yet translated into many DVD's. Just books and articles.
i have jackie warner's crunch free abs and there's still moves i'd consider variations of crunches in the floor section.....

p.s. i like the dvd... but i don't consider it, IMO, 100% crunch free!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 01:55 PM  
mj476

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl View Post
i have jackie warner's crunch free abs and there's still moves i'd consider variations of crunches in the floor section.....

p.s. i like the dvd... but i don't consider it, IMO, 100% crunch free!
I agree!

Marcy
Old 02-04-11, 02:29 PM  
KathAL79

I'm kind of surprised Tracie Long isn't showing any signs of going crunch-less, but maybe that's because I really want her to. I picture her sitting there going, "Oh, crunches, I just can't quit you!"

Amy Bento seems to be heading that direction; I'm thinking of the abs segments on some of her recent DVDs, like Kettlebell Dynamics and Hi/Lo Dynamics.

I see some other instructors like Kelly Coffey-Meyer and even Cathe Friedrich showing some signs of dipping toes ever so tentatively into the crunch-less waters, too, but I think many of them will take this very literally and just leave out small floor crunches in favor of standing crunches, sit-ups, etc.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 02:33 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post

I haven't seen Jackie's most recent workouts, but Power Circuit Abs leads off with a ton of crunches. I saw Barre3 last year when it was on Exercise TV and it had crunches on a ball.

I know dance workouts don't have crunches, but that doesn't count! (Maybe that's why I've been sticking with dance workouts!) I just wish there was an instructor whose strength-training videos can be guaranteed not to have crunches.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 01:09 AM  
tltinatl

The core sections in Amy Bento's Slo-Mo Strength Challenge and All Pump Extreme are each about 15 minutes and there's nary a crunch in sight. That's one of the reasons I really started liking her.
tltinatl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, crunches, crunchless ab work