Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-20, 03:40 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Come visit me in California if you feel so safe.

"On Wednesday, Los Angeles Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer reported 3,266 new coronavirus cases in the region for a total of 164,870 cases. Ferrer said the 7-day average of daily new infections has more than doubled in the past month. The daily positivity rate of new tests is now 8.5 percent.

“This week, I believe, could be a turning point,” said Ferrer.

“COVID-19 appears to be on track to claim more lives in L.A. County than any other disease than coronary heart disease,” warned the director. Flu, she said, is nowhere near as deadly as COVID-19. In the first six months of 2020, COVID-19 killed twice as many people in the region as did the flu over the 8-month flu season this year and last.
"
Yes, I think the lack of empathy for others and the smug attitude in different areas of the country or even within the same state is sad.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
Old 07-24-20, 03:52 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Another thing I find sad is that some folks on this forum only post on this kind of a thread and no fitness ones at all. They seem to come out of the woodwork to incite disputes by provocative and belligerent posts. I am not calling anyone out for this specifically, as I'm really not trying to create a poo storm, but IMHO I think the best way to handle it is to not engage them as is what most seem to be doing. It helps to preserve a more peaceful and civil thread, at least IMHO.

We are all on edge these days, for sure.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Old 07-24-20, 04:08 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Yes, I think the lack of empathy for others and the smug attitude in different areas of the country or even within the same state is sad.
I totally agree.

cataddict, your avatar always makes me smile. Thank you for that!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 07-24-20, 04:11 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
It's not an easy choice. I guess it's a balance on how to handle it. I don't envy the state governors who are trying to make decisions.

As for comparing this to SARS and H1N1, we did have a coordinated federal response to those two virus outbreaks. Also, those two viruses were not as contagious. I don't think you can say that COVID is not serious, just because those didn't have as large an impact.

My state's numbers seem to be going down. Everyone seems to be complying with the mask mandate, at least from what I've seen going out in my area. I read that many people here are voluntarily quarantining, despite no complete shut down. Bars, restaurants and gyms have been shut down, and restaurants are to be at 50% capacity.

I've been battling deep sadness. I guess grief over those activities and socialization that I've lost. I'm a homemaker so getting out was crucial for me. My husband and daughter work, so it's not as hard for them. It helps to keep busy. I painted almost my entire house this winter. It's too hot for that right now. Also hot to cook. It's a bit harder trying to come up with distractions. I have been reading a lot, and that has helped. Lots of good suggestions in the cozy mystery thread, so I will check those out.
Sending you hugs! I totally understand the deep sadness over the activities you cannot do now. You did a wondeful job painting your house. I think cozy mysteries are a great escape and I hope they help you feel better.

My solace has always been in books and music. Now sometimes listening to music makes me really sad because our thing is going to concerts and we have no idea when that will be safe to do again. The drive in concerts do not cut it. Summer is when we went to the most shows. Some artists we like are doing free livestream concerts. It is great to see them, but of course not the same.

Old 07-24-20, 04:50 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

A personal friend of ours died of COVID here in NY state. As did her sister and her mother. All within a month. My husband was close to her--he had known her since high school--and he is absolutely gutted.

I was in Munich the last week of February. The virus was exploding in N. Italy at that time and was making its way to Germany. People were already starting to wear masks while I was there. I flew in and out of Toronto, so I bypassed JFK airport in NYC which might well have been an entry point for the virus on the east coast. You won't get me onto an airplane again for years, if ever.

Aside from the pharmacy, the grocery store, and a doctor appointment, I've seen no one except my husband since I returned on March 2 and pretty much stick very close to home except for walks and some bike rides.

We have been fine thus far, but we had to get tested yesterday. A friend of ours that my husband went on a bike ride with on Monday was exposed to COVID. How? Her DOG has it. The poor thing has double pneumonia and I guess vets must be automatically testing animals brought in with respiratory illnesses. So our friend got tested on Wednesday and called us that night to tell us that we should get tested. We got tested yesterday (Thursday) and will get the results early next week.

Per kat999's suggestion, here's what I've been doing during this:

Working on a fiction project
Intense yoga practice (physical and spiritual)
Purchase of a TRX suspension system (It's amazing. I'll never go back to the gym!)
Eating nutritiously as possible, which I was doing anyway but I've tightened things up even more
Keeping in touch with friends with calls and emails and texts
Loving on our cat
Reading
Listening to uplifting things at night to help me sleep (yoga nidra meditations, body scanning meditations, spiritual discourses)
Aromatherapy
Giving aid to local organizations that feed people and care for the homeless. These organizations are overwhelmed with people who need help due to COVID job loss.

The big thing that I find helpful is greatly limiting my consumption of news. I stopped watching TV news years ago. I scan all the headlines but am very selective about which news stories I actually read in the newspaper and online. It's way too easy to go down a rabbit hole of incessant scrolling thru news feeds and feeling anxious and helpless 24/7.

I am really grieved by the lack of solidarity I am seeing here in the US about the pandemic.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
Old 07-24-20, 05:06 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Betsy, I’m so sorry for your loss, (((hugs))). I hope your tests come back negative, waiting is hard.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 07-24-20, 05:52 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Things I am doing during this pandemic:

Limiting news consumption
Watching reruns, DVDs, game show channel, some old time cartoons (if it makes me laugh why not)
Watching You Tube (cooking channels, some beauty stuff, and other things)
Walking outside when I can
Exercise, trying to do yoga and/or pilates most days, have been really bad this last week though
Reading books (mainly mysteries)
Visiting Pinterest
Hanging out with kitty

I should stay in touch with friends more, for the most part I am an introvert so being at home and limiting outings has been okay for the most part.
Old 07-24-20, 05:58 PM  
Gams

Sherry, I know how you feel. One thing I do miss is concerts. I had tickets for one in May and it was rescheduled for November. In the meantime the performer has put a virtual tip jar up on his website and it has kind of rubbed me the wrong way, so even if the concert is a go in November, I don’t know if I want to attend or not.
Old 07-24-20, 06:33 PM  
sherry7899

Tammy, a few musicians we like have put up virtual tip jars. They are lesser known artists who earn most of their livelihood through touring. We have contributed. They have lost almost their entire source of income.

Surprisingly we had not bought tickets for anything. That is very unusual for us.

Old 07-24-20, 08:54 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I totally agree.

cataddict, your avatar always makes me smile. Thank you for that!
You're welcome, Sherry!

Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, face masks, masks, pandemic, what a drag it is