Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-19, 05:34 PM  
adrien_73

Athletic Inserts for Sneakers

I posted this in the Equipment forum, but thought I would re-post here in hopes of getting some replies!

I have given up on finding sneakers that fit my feet! I decided a better option may be to replace the inserts.

I do a lot of cardio and high impact and am starting to have morton's neuroma, heel spurs, plantar fasciitis and other overuse injuries. I recently tried Superfeet green. I like the support they provide but they are a bit too hard.

Would love to hear any recommendations!

P.S. If you have any sneaker recommendations, I'll take those as well!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-19, 05:50 PM  
DCW

I went to a podiatrist and got inserts. Then I got custom orthotics.

Best relief I got was doing Classical Stretch and Essentrics foot focused workouts. I finally figured out that tight hips, hamstrings, and tight foot muscles caused a lot of my foot pain. Once I got a foot massage for an hour and felt relief in my hip. I literally had knots in my feet.

I wear the inserts in my tennis shoes all the time. And rarely wear heels.

Hope the inserts help.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-19, 06:12 PM  
diggerholliday

Foot problems are my curse as well!
I have neuromas in my right foot and nothing seems to help.
I recently went through 5 different pairs of shoes that I had to keep returning because a walk becomes unbearable after 10 min.
I would also welcome any shoe or insert recommendations.
diggerholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 06:32 AM  
Vantreesta

I got custom orthotics many years ago from my chiropractor and they did nothing but waste $250. I only wear Dr. Scholls insoles now, usually the heel pain ones. I also used their foot mapping thing or whatever it's called and those $30ish ones were no better than the $10-15 heel pain or arch pain ones. I also tried Superfeet at my doctor's recommendation and did not like those either. I mostly wear Altra when I run (street and treadmill) and Saucony for walking, but I do also wear Skechers for both at times. I workout barefoot mostly when I do videos. If I do wear shoes for a workout I think the ones I like best are Skechers. I have dealt with both plantar fasciitis and tarsal tunnel syndrome off and on for the past 25 years and these things have helped me, as well as Jill Miller's Yoga Tune Up foot exercises and Katy Santiago's (Bowman) foot pain kit I got ages ago.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 07:35 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Everyone is different. I've been using custom orthotics from a podiatrist for about 10 years and they completely got rid of all the issues I was having with PF and another condition called PTTD. Thankfully, my insurance covers the orthotics, but there have been times I used Dr. Scholl's inserts and have had good results with those too. The custom orthotics don't fit into all types of shoes, so I use the Dr. Scholl's in those cases.

Classical Stretch has also helped. Whenever I'm having an issue (usually after I've worn sandals or went barefoot for too long) I do one of those workouts and it takes care of it. I don't have neuromas or heel spurs so I can't comment on those, but you may want to visit a podiatrist and/or a store that sells high-end running shoes. They usually have someone there who is a shoe-fitter and can recommend something. The shoes will be expensive though.
Old 05-16-19, 08:37 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
Everyone is different. I've been using custom orthotics from a podiatrist for about 10 years and they completely got rid of all the issues I was having with PF and another condition called PTTD. Thankfully, my insurance covers the orthotics, but there have been times I used Dr. Scholl's inserts and have had good results with those too. The custom orthotics don't fit into all types of shoes, so I use the Dr. Scholl's in those cases.

Classical Stretch has also helped. Whenever I'm having an issue (usually after I've worn sandals or went barefoot for too long) I do one of those workouts and it takes care of it. I don't have neuromas or heel spurs so I can't comment on those, but you may want to visit a podiatrist and/or a store that sells high-end running shoes. They usually have someone there who is a shoe-fitter and can recommend something. The shoes will be expensive though.
So true that we're all different. When I got my custom orthotics I was working at a coffee shop and my boss and her husband swore I would get relief from them and she even said she'd pay for half. They didn't help and she didn't pay.

My old doctor had gotten on to me for working out barefoot and going barefoot all summer in the house, but working out in shoes generally makes my feet hurt and going barefoot doesn't. I may start a video in shoes and by 10 minutes I usually have them off.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 08:51 AM  
donnadc

I work on my feet and have had plantar fasciitis off and on several times over the years. I used to wear only hard shoes with arch support (Finn Comfort and Birkenstock) but started having issues with them also. I tried custom orthotics and they didn't help (were worse actually). So...with my last bout of PF, I started stretching my calves and hamstrings several times throughout the day and that seemed to help a lot!! Also, in searching for insoles, I came across Spenco Total Support Max insoles. All of my shoes have these insoles now. I also put the Profoot miracle memory foam insole (the light blue one) on top of it. I wear Asics shoes now but also like Saucony. I don't get the more expensive shoes, more mid range priced ones and put these insoles in. My feet are happy now

Good luck!
donnadc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inserts, insoles, orthotics, superfeet, workout shoes