Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-13, 03:10 AM  
Kathleen86

Pilates--alignment, back strengthening, ball/foam roller?

Was seeing a private pilates instructor for awhile and she was really great..unfortunately, it is too pricey to keep up with long term. The warmup for her workouts incorporated the small pilates ball and there was a series where you would put it under your back as you're on the mat and sway your hips and later stretch your back over the ball. And similar moves using the foam roller. When I was done I would feel as though I were a foot taller..my posture was great and it got the kinks out. Are there any videos that incorporate the small ball or the foam roller like this? If there are any other alignment and core/back strengthening pilates suggestions, I would love to hear them.
Kathleen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-13, 06:22 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

There is this one from Bernadette Giorgi but I don't know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for: http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...e-workout-6379

If not, hopefully someone will direct you to the right workout for you.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-13, 06:30 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

I really love Anita Seiz's pilates workouts with the foam roller on MYO: http://www.myyogaonline.com/videos/t...all&length=all

They have a free trial offer right now and if you like the classes you can purchase a download.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-13, 08:05 PM  
buffmama

Mini ball workouts:
Super Sculpt Pilates - Tracey Mallet - recommend
10 MS Quick Sculpt Pilates with Ball - Andrea Leigh Rogers
Element Total Body Pilates with Mini Ball - recommend
Stott also has some

I have and use the ones I'm recommending. I haven't tried the others. The 10 MS hasn't gotten a lot of love around here.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 12:52 AM  
Kathleen86

Thanks for all the suggestions--I've missed pilates so I'm excited to incorporate it back in here and there.
Old 05-30-13, 07:51 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

It sounds like your are using the ball/roller almost for massage; you might just try doing this on your own. I've yet to find a really good foam roller video. Lisa Hubbard does have a nice video with the ball, Element Total Body Pilates with the Mini Ball. In particular, I like when she uses the ball under the upper back, but it is still not quite what you are describing.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 01:05 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
There is this one from Bernadette Giorgi but I don't know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for: http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...e-workout-6379.
I did that one for the first time last night. There are a few brief segments where you use the foam roller for self-massage after performing some challenging exercises, but they are only small parts of the workout.

10MS: Pilates on the Ball has a wonderful 10 minute segment of stretching on the ball, including some wonderful back bends using the ball for support. This sounds like what the OP is looking for, although it incorporates a large stability ball, not a mini-ball.

This Gaiam kit for back pain, using a peanut ball, might also fit the bill.

ETA: I just noticed that Bernadette's foam roller workout is rated Beginner/Intermediate at Collage. No way! There's even a Pilates roll-over performed on the foam roller which is very challenging, a few exercises which Bernadette says she finds challenging, and even one that she doesn't perform because she says she "sucks" at it. It's rated Intermediate at Total Fitness DVDs, but I would rate it as Intermediate/Advanced.
Old 05-31-13, 12:16 AM  
Kathleen86

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
It sounds like your are using the ball/roller almost for massage; you might just try doing this on your own. I've yet to find a really good foam roller video. Lisa Hubbard does have a nice video with the ball, Element Total Body Pilates with the Mini Ball. In particular, I like when she uses the ball under the upper back, but it is still not quite what you are describing.
Thanks! Yes, it is a bit like massage but also a bit like stretch..I'm not sure if its a traditional part of pilates or not. I've been working on trying to replicate it from what I remember. I guess the ball is called an 'over-ball'..I see some use of it on the streaming pilates sites.

Even using the foam roller vertically on the spine while doing other exercises feels really nice when you get back off of it...so I'll look into vids incorporating that as well.
Old 05-31-13, 07:12 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Kathleen, I think "Overall" is just a brand name of one small squishy ball:
http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Overball-...lates+overball

I love using the ball & the foam roller, I just wish more DVDs used these well--keep us posted on whether you find some!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bernadette giorgi, foam roller, foam roller workout, mini ball, pilates mini ball, pilates on the ball