Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-11, 01:45 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I still use them too, never got around to converting my tapes to DVD; some converted DVDs I've had others do for me don't necessarily wear well. I keep my VHS player and I also have what's probably antique (although <7 years old) TV equipment. So picture quality isn't something I'd quibble about unless I couldn't make out what the instructor was picking up.

I don't mind being a dinosaur. I also see the writing on the wall about workouts moving almost completely to download format; so I'll skip the intermediate stages.

I'd look at a VHS trade/SASE list, certainly.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 03:16 AM  
Vee

I converted a few favorites (mostly yoga) onto DVD. I threw out all my VHS tapes a long time ago. My tastes have changed since the days of VHS so I dont miss them.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 06:31 AM  
bearcatfan

I have one lonely VHS .... Corey Everson's Get Hard Arms and Shoulders.

Someday I will convert it, just haven't gotten around to it.
Old 01-24-11, 06:34 AM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
I thought you needed some sort of software or something to take the anti-piracy lock off of protected VHS tapes? I think I remember trying to burn a Tae Bo to DVD when I first got my player and it says it's protected material.

I thought I posted a question on this Forum when that happened and was told you need to buy something to unlock them? anyone?
I bought a SIMA device at Best Buy a couple years ago ... with the extra cables I needed, it came to about $100. It was a device that connected one vhs/dvd player to my vhs/dvd-recorder and I did it that way. You have to watch it in real time and, if you want chapters, you have to make them yourself by stopping and starting the recording process.

I'm sure there are other devices/software available now. It's probably easier through a computer now, but I don't know anything about that way.
Old 01-24-11, 08:57 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

The only VHS workouts I am keeping, is my old Firms, and some of my Charlene Prickett tapes. I am getting a box ready right now to take to Goodwill. It will be full of old Tae Bo, Crunch, and Jane Fonda workouts. These things take up a lot of space, and I just don't see the point of keeping the ones I really don't use.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 09:04 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

I converted a lot of mine to DVD, only to find that many of them quit working after a while. I still have the old Taebos on VHS and some FIRMs. I'll never give up VHS until I have to.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 09:05 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

I tried to SASE mine but no takers. Mainly old Firms.

I have my old Taebo on tape and I see that they are disintegrating. I really should find out how to copy them to DVD. Soon they'll be too tough for me but they were the first workouts I bought because of a review I read from Mandy that I found by searching on the internet (now I know who to blame).
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 09:48 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Mine are all just sitting there in a box. Most of them I'd never do again anyway (except GHAS). I have a combo DVD and VHS machine, but I haven't used the VHS in ages.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 10:24 AM  
Ann1964

Joni - Me too & I have about 25 VHS. DH wants to get me a flat screen with a built in DVD for my workout room to replace my combo tv with dvd/vhs. I said yes, but it may be a while before he makes the purchase.
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 12:46 AM  
tltinatl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldham View Post
I don't trade very often but in the spirit of decluttering AND because I counted my DVDs and scared myself...I made a trade list, including SASE. I don't usually look through the SASE list posted here in general discussion b/c I already have so many! But since I am trading I decided in the spirit to check things out, and to see if I should relist the things I listed in my trade post. Anyway...I noticed lots of VHS that had not been requested! The sad thing is...I still own a VCR...it's hooked up and everything but I haven't used it in years now...can't be bothered when DVDs are so much more convenient!

So...what is everyone doing with their old VHS tapes? Keeping them? Donating them? tech savvy and converting to DVD? Throwing them away (horrors!). Just interested!
I dumped all the ones I don't really love and I still do the ones that I do love. I was a late adopter on DVDs and when I finally got a DVD player, I bought a combo DVD/VHS player. I refuse to re-buy things on DVD just to have them on DVD.

I just did the original "Steamin' Cardio" with Kelsie Daniels Saturday night. It's not as hard as I remember it being, but it was fun. I'll keep it in the "workouts to do when I don't want to work out" category.
tltinatl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhs