Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-18, 02:30 PM  
momofcha

In a funk

I’m not sure if it’s just that time of year, or if it’s an age thing (I’m 48) or what it is, but my heart just isn’t in working out right now. I’m trying to keep active but wondering what your “go to” is when you feel like this. I used to be a die hard weight girl and I can’t tell you the last time I really lifted. Lately I have been doing HSM once/week, some P.volve and barre 3.

Just looking at the new Cathe fill me with dread, so it’s not an impact thing. I did order the new Tracie Long as well as two of Jessica’s, but nothing else is even interesting to me.

I want to keep moving and I struggle with weight (in menopause). Even the thought of Essentrics doesn’t interest me much.

Any feedback would be appreciated

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 02:42 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Yoga Booty Ballet has gotten me through some tough times. Right now, I've rediscovered P57 and the 30 minute DVDs put me into a good mood.

I'm not sure I remember being only 48 -- I'm 72 now.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 03:00 PM  
jusca

Maybe a break could help. When I'm in a funk, I allow myself to ride it out. I dont want to obligate myself to workout when I'm not there emotionally or physically. Walking with Leslie is the only workout I can muster any interest doing when in a funk. I can go on autopilot and let my mind drift.

Reevaluate what you want from working out. Sometimes a funk can be an indicator to schedule little vacation from exercising. Maybe explore another hobby temporarily.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 03:05 PM  
mamaste

Have you tried non-video exercise? Like going for walks and hikes or joining a gym? Look into a trial at a gym near you. That really helped break me out of a rut.
Old 12-12-18, 04:45 PM  
bubbles76

I would focus on fun, short workouts without any specific goal in mind. Make sure the music is upbeat with choreography you can handle or if doing weights reps that are short. Try workouts with fun scenery or retro outfits that make you smile. Get in plenty of stretching to feel relaxed. Try meditation and new, healthy recipes that don't take forever to cook.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 04:46 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
Have you tried non-video exercise? Like going for walks and hikes or joining a gym? Look into a trial at a gym near you. That really helped break me out of a rut.
Thanks, but the thought of leaving the house to workout is even less motivating. Thank you though!

I like the idea of walks, but it’s also so cold here. I guess it could also be some SAD...

Old 12-12-18, 04:47 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
Maybe a break could help. When I'm in a funk, I allow myself to ride it out. I dont want to obligate myself to workout when I'm not there emotionally or physically. Walking with Leslie is the only workout I can muster any interest doing when in a funk. I can go on autopilot and let my mind drift.

Reevaluate what you want from working out. Sometimes a funk can be an indicator to schedule little vacation from exercising. Maybe explore another hobby temporarily.
MaybeI do just need to take a break.

Old 12-12-18, 05:00 PM  
maitai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post

Well said!
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 05:04 PM  
BunnyHop

Maybe you just need a bit of rest?

I didn't realize how much I was overdoing it til I got sick and came to a stop.

Guess I'm lucky this is just a head cold.
Old 12-12-18, 05:14 PM  
seww

Investigate a SAD light and maybe taking so classes at gym or yoga studio.
Sue
seww is offline   Reply With Quote