Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-20, 02:54 PM  
Malia

OT - Need Movie Recommendations

My father is 90 and just moved in with me and my husband. I don't know where else to ask this question. I am at a loss as far as what to watch on TV with him (and he insists on watching TV with us every night because the reason he wanted to move in with us was because he was lonely and depressed where he was)

Needless to say we don't exactly have the same taste in TV programming.

Some things we've tried:
Homeland - he lasted 1 season and lost interest
Ozark on Netflix - 1.5 episodes and he said he "didn't get it" (I saw it already and loved it)

He likes WWII documentaries but I simply can't watch another one. He did like Catch 22 on Hulu and I did too (the only series he managed to tolerate)

He says he prefers movies with good stories - he likes a beginning, a middle and an end.

One of his favorite movies is Ghost with Demi Moore (to give you a sense of his tastes)
We also recently watched Green Book and The Upside and he liked both of those.

Obviously it can't have a whole lot of nudity or swearing that isn't necessary to the story line (he liked Saving Private Ryan because any swearing was necessary to the story line)

Some I'm considering after a google search are:

What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams
Moonlight (on Netflix)
Roma (on Netflix)
Black Klansman (on Hulu)

Please - I need suggestions. I tried the series The Succession without knowing a lot about it and he absolutely hated it (way too much swearing) and we tried The Ballad of Buster Scruggs last night since it was a Western and he hated that too (and so did I). I'm losing my credibility to pick out movies and I hate starting movies or series only to have him lose interest and then I'm stuck turning something off that I kind of liked.
My favorite was Breaking Bad and I'd watch that again in a heartbeat, but I don't think he'd like it.

We have Prime, Netflix, Hulu, HBO & Showtime (and cable)
Malia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 03:01 PM  
Tugger31

My dad (in his late 70's) loved the series Longmire. I loved it too. He also likes old TV series such as The Rockford Files and Columbo. Some movies my dad likes are Moneyball, Somewhere in Time, Field of Dreams, The Blind Side, The Old Man & the Gun (my 90 year old MIL liked this one too, as did I), Can You Ever Forgive Me, and A Bridge Too Far. I don't know which of those are available on your streaming.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 03:10 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

My DH and I enjoyed watching all 3 seasons of The Crown on Netflix. Your dad might enjoy that because of the time era it begins with.

Like Tugger31, I loved Somewhere in Time too!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 03:18 PM  
Malia

Oh I forgot about the Crown - we did watch season 3 together and he seemed to enjoy it (me and DH already saw season 1 & 2). I'm not sure if he enjoyed it enough to go back and watch the first 2 seasons.

We started watching When Calls the Heart because he told me his favorite TV show was the Waltons and he lasted almost 2 seasons in that before he lost interest (I'm starting to think he has ADD)
Old 01-25-20, 03:31 PM  
Demeris

My father is 88 and has almost NO tolerance for contemporary drama.

I would suggest looking at frndlytv. It has several channels. I particularly love the mysteries and movies channels, which runs Magnum PI each day, but it has outdoor channels and fishing stuff, both of which my dad likes.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 03:35 PM  
Malia

Fishing stuff - my dad was a huge fisherman. For some reason he doesn't like to watch fishing on TV (if I was to psycho-analyze him I'd say it makes him too sad that he can't do it anymore).

I forgot about Somewhere in Time - that was one of my favorite movies and I just asked him and he never saw it.

Keep them coming - I'm making a spreadsheet! I should have asked here long ago!
Old 01-25-20, 03:49 PM  
Gams

I think I’d get along great with him. Some good WWII movies:

From Here to Eternity
The Great Escape
D-Day the Sixth of June
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
Patton

Does he like westerns?

There are a ton of John Wayne westerns. Also, The Magnificent Seven is good.

Also:

The Last of the Mohicans
Papillon
The Jesse Stone movies
Alfred Hitchcock movies?
Bullitt

I have most of these so send him on over!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 03:53 PM  
Malia

I just have to say that's so funny that you mentioned John Wayne Westerns. I got the Western Channel (free) loaded on to Roku and showed him how to look it up. I said "you like John Wayne movies, right?" He said "I love them but I've seen them all and there are no new ones". I said "I don't think he's making any new ones" :-)
Old 01-25-20, 03:53 PM  
lavna

Maybe Downton Abbey (the series and the movie) ?
Julian Fellowes also was the writer for Gosford Park
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 04:01 PM  
Gams

How about Gunsmoke? He certainly can’t remember all those episodes because it was on t.v. for a few thousand years. 😀
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote