Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-19, 08:31 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi yogis! Pam asked me on FB whether I was going to participate in the sadhana this year. I usually start on January 1st, and this is the third year in a row that I'll be going to a yoga class with live music on New Year's Day.

Is anyone doing any of the YouTube or other challenges to start the new year? Tomorrow I will finish a 30-day challenge from Do You Yoga. I believe it's several years old, but it was perfect for this past month b/c the practices were short, about 10 minutes. I think I am already signed up for Yoga with Tim--I love Tim (Sensei), but his practices tend to be longer, and sometimes they are too vinyasa-y for me, although his instruction is awesome. I might sign up for a few others (possibly Adriene, SarahBeth) but will likely pick and choose the practices I do.

Pam, cyana on our Barefoot checkin uses the MFML practices, and they always sound great!

Dena, how nice that you spent some time with Tilak! I did Altar earlier this month and thoroughly enjoyed it as always.

Pat, I like Benagh's Yoga for Back Care, but sometimes the fat that she moves SO slowly is annoying.

Jane, LOVE your sloth avatar! Sloths are my favorite animal...I bought some cute sloth holiday stickers this year.

Hi to Sherry, Cate (feel better!), Dena, and Mary!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-19, 08:47 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi Beth, happy to hear you will be joining us! Your NYD class with live music sounds really good. Cyana and I have talked about MFML practices on the yoga check in, we have similar tastes. I haven’t signed up for any challenges yet. I’ve been doing mainly yin & gentle practices lately so my focus for the sadhana is more active yoga. I’ve been in the city since the 19th so have been to several slow flow vinyasa classes. My DIL & DS2 have come with me to a few. I love being within walking distance to several studios when I’m here.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-19, 09:38 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Sadhana Day 7 - Poked around on Kundalini Lounge and found a Self Healing Program, 11 super short videos (3 to 10 minutes). I tried the Addictions one with hopes of getting holiday eating back under control. Only one try didn't help so much.

Sadhana Day 8 - Sarah Beth 20 Minute Yin Yoga for Hips and worked my way up the spine reclining over a rectangular bolster, from hips to upper back. The Sarah Beth yin practice got a lot accomplished in 20 minutes and included some nice ribcage opening twists and a camel pose, not just hip openers.

Beth, I'm happy you will be joining us! I saw that Mariya Gancheva has a new Kundalini Lounge series up (well it's new to me anyway) - 40 days, Yoga for Mental Health. I'm toying with making a commitment to it. Some might say that I really need to.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-19, 10:38 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Beth, I'm happy you will be joining us! I saw that Mariya Gancheva has a new Kundalini Lounge series up (well it's new to me anyway) - 40 days, Yoga for Mental Health. I'm toying with making a commitment to it. Some might say that I really need to.
Pat, that sounds like it could be a nice program! I have done almost no Kundalini in the past year--my only remaining Raviana is Dance the Chakras, and I don't think I've used it once.

Pam, how great that you can walk to a variety of classes!

Speaking of making a commitment, I remember that the first year I did the sadhana, I didn't do asana every day--some days, I just read about yoga. (As an aside, one thing I noticed when I did my yoga teacher training is that I seemed to have a lot more historical knowledge of yoga than most others in my class; I think that was in part due to my reading and in part due to being here!)

So is anyone currently doing any yoga reading? I started reading Esther Myers's Yoga and You before Christmas but have gotten off track. I also plan to read Rick Hanson's Just One Thing every week during the new year; that one is more Buddhist/psychological based.

Today I will finish the Do You Yoga 30 Days of Yoga Challenge. If you are looking for short (10m) practices, I highly recommend it!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...qYHzmkUkkjH5IB

I found the instructor, Jessica Rose, very low key. She does a bit more flow towards the end, but they are slow, short flows. The level is mostly experienced beginner-ish...sometimes Jess does something a bit more challenging, but if you know how to modify you'll be fine.

Happy New Year's Eve Eve!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 12-30-19, 05:17 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Day 10:
~Slow Flow Yoga class

This will be my last class in the city before we head home on Jan 1. I’ve decided to do an MFML Challenge, 21 Day Improvers. It’s primarily 20-30 min vinyasa practices with a few gentle practices interspersed. I’ll start it tomorrow or Wed.

Beth - Not doing any yoga reading right now. I’m supposed to be working on my level 3 Essentrics but I’ve stalled out over the holidays. I must get back at it!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 12-31-19, 09:00 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Happy end of 2019!

Sadhana Day 9 - Project You Yoga Core, a nice change of pace.

Beth I caught the first Twilight Zone episode this morning while having my tea.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-19, 09:58 AM  
Izzy

Beth, the yoga reading is a good idea. Thank you for suggesting it. My DIL who is an instructor gave me a couple of books to read so I think I will spend some quiet time reading them.

Happy New year to everyone!!
Peace to you all!

Mary
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-19, 10:15 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Beth I caught the first Twilight Zone episode this morning while having my tea.
Pat I have it on now! DH & I have seen pretty much all the episodes but still enjoy watching. But I have to go exercise soon!

Mary, I think that is great idea! If you think of sadhana as being self-study--and yoga as being 8 limbs rather than just asana--it definitely makes sense.

I plan to do this practice today; it seemed appropriate for the new year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCq...L&index=2&t=1s

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 12-31-19, 02:24 PM  
sherry7899

I came down with a stomach virus last Thursday that has really knocked me out. I am slowly getting back to regular food, but my energy is still very low. I have only done yoga once since last Wednesday. If you miss days, can you just pick back up at whatever day you would have been on ? I really do not want to start over, and I don't want to give up. I want to jump back in tomorrow, even if it's five minutes of yoga. Thanks!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-19, 02:37 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi Sherry, so sorry you’ve been sick! Definitely just jump back in when you feel up to it, no need to start over, no rules here. Take care and feel better soon! (((Hugs)))

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Tags
sadhana