Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-19, 02:06 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I looked up his books and saw one review that completely turned me off. The woman said she basically eats once a day and avoids all carbs and has lost lots of weight.

Yes, it worked, but A) I like food and don't want to eat only once a day and B) that's just not sustainable for me or probably most people.

I remember back in the 80s, fat was the culprit of all problems. You could get low-fat anything, and people eat a ton of low fat and fat free food thinking that was healthier. But still ate a ton of food, most of it processed.

I'm not saying you should eat lots of fat, or lots of carbs, or anything else. Moderation and real food (lots of produce and lots of home cooking) have always been my go-tos. My hormones do seem to be kicking in somewhat but from age 23 to 46, I weighed exactly the same through 3 pregnancies and all kinds of different exercise regimens (or lack thereof).

Not trendy, I know, but it's worked for me without feeling like I'm ever "dieting."

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-19, 06:03 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Thanks so much, Joni. I first heard of a1c through a drug ad and knew it was related to sugar level somehow but didn't know how. I've never had my a1c checked and neither has my DH. Neither of us has any family history of diabetes and none of the other "warning" signs so maybe that's why? Or is it something that is only done at a certain age? Guess each of us should ask our doctor.
I asked for an a1c test several years ago and have one every year. I don’t know what the criteria usually are for getting it checked - probably very high glucose.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-19, 10:05 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
I looked up his books and saw one review that completely turned me off. The woman said she basically eats once a day and avoids all carbs and has lost lots of weight.

Yes, it worked, but A) I like food and don't want to eat only once a day and B) that's just not sustainable for me or probably most people.

I remember back in the 80s, fat was the culprit of all problems. You could get low-fat anything, and people eat a ton of low fat and fat free food thinking that was healthier. But still ate a ton of food, most of it processed.

I'm not saying you should eat lots of fat, or lots of carbs, or anything else. Moderation and real food (lots of produce and lots of home cooking) have always been my go-tos. My hormones do seem to be kicking in somewhat but from age 23 to 46, I weighed exactly the same through 3 pregnancies and all kinds of different exercise regimens (or lack thereof).

Not trendy, I know, but it's worked for me without feeling like I'm ever "dieting."

Jason Fung treats morbidly obese people who are really sick and I'm guessing his book is more relevant to those people. They need an extreme treatment and it seems to work. Most people don't need to go that extreme, and yes, cutting processed food works wonders.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diabetes, pre-diabetes