Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-06-20, 10:45 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Donna, I know you subscribe to Jessica Valant Pilates. Do you like her workouts better than Robin's and would you recommend it? I know her membership is now closed until later in the year but it will give me some time to do her short youtube workout.

I really don't need another pilates subscription, but I'm in a rut. I like the fact that JV has some cardio, HIIT and weights included in her workouts. I need something new.

Thanks for any input, Donna!
Old 10-06-20, 10:47 AM  
cherimac

PBL Fast and Firm Lower Body
PBL Chiseled Upper Body

Walk

Happy Tuesday!
Old 10-06-20, 06:29 PM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

30 min. walk
45 min. step

Happy Tuesday!

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 05:49 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Tuesday's workouts were:

Walk - 30 minutes;
Lauren Gleisburg - Back & Biceps - 30 minutes;
Pilates Nest - Pilates for Tight Hips - 15 minutes

I'm sore again from strength work - not so bad that I can't move, but I can definitely tell that I've been working. Again, Lauren's workout called for 3 sets of 15 reps and I only did 2 sets; 3 sets for me would be overkill, I think.

Cheri I really like Lisa's Fast & Firm Lower Body Workout. I wish she would allow more purchases of her videos. I know she has some series for sale, but nothing that I want to pay that many $$ for.

Dana - Not Donna, but I subscribed to Jessica's pilates for a few months. I found her stuff much more interesting than Robin's. She does put out a calendar which schedules her workouts and that's helpful. I like all of Chris' Walk & Tone videos. So glad the rest of Basil's labs came back normal.

Donna - The word we are hearing in the independent school world is to expect this to last perhaps into 2024. That is such a long timeline for a people who are so used to fast everything! Not sure we can make it. We are not patient. Our area hospitalization rates are creeping back up to the danger zone, in terms of opening of businesses. The next few days could result in a ratchetting back of our openings.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 07:58 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday DD and I walked our Golden again. It is nice to be getting outside regularly again -

Today, so far has been:

Jessica Smith - HIIT For Beginners Walking Intervals
Fruit of the Spirit - Unshaken Yoga/Faithful Workouts - Week 1, Beginner Yoga, "Love"

The yoga was a pretty standard flow, but it was nice to listen to Denika's thoughts and comments on the theme of love.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit to doing the FOTS program, but I'll see how it goes.

Nice work, Carol, Brenda and Cheri!

Dana - I do like Jessica's site. It is probably one I will keep around for the long haul b/c of the variety she offers. Her production is not as nice as Robin's - she works out indoors for the most part - either in her home or office - and sometimes the video quality isn't the best - although it is better in her newer videos as compared to the older ones. She is knowledgeable about the body given her background in PT. And, I find her monthly calendar really easy to fit into whatever else I want to do. She has added guest instructors this month - so that will be interesting to see. Her site is reasonably priced, too, you could do a month for a trial or a three month trial. Signing up for a year is the best deal, but only if you think you will use it enough. Her You Tube stuff is generally shorter versions of what she puts on her Unlimited site. Overall, I enjoy the site and it will probably be one of the sites I keep - her and Ellen, I'm thinking...for next year when I cut back.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 08:55 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Thank you Carol and Donna for your input on Jessica Valant's pilates. When she opens up her membership again, I'll try it for a month and if I like it I'll upgrade to a year which is much cheaper. I won't be renewing GHUTV but I think I will renew ePilates for another year.

Do you know if she offers specials around Thanksgiving? Emma offered one last year and I got a good price on her membership which is good for subsequent renewals.

No workout to report as of yet. I'll check back later.
Old 10-07-20, 09:55 AM  
fanofladyvols

Carol 3 sets of 15 at a challenging weight does sound excessive. My joints would protest if I did that. I usually stick with 8-12 and pyramid up in weight and reduce reps with 3 sets. That many reps I would use really light weights and/or use bands for the last set.

Dana I hope you get your groove back. I know the stress of worrying about my furball makes it hard to concentrate on exercise. Sending feel better wishes to Basil!

Donna thanks for the rundown on Slim sculpt. I'll treat it like a AWT workout when I do a circuit mix rotation.

Christine I hope you're doing ok.

Yesterday was S90 back & bi 50 min with 10 MS Dance it off & tone it up upper body segment as a warm-up. Tough workout but a good one.

Happy Wednesday Cheri and Brenda!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 05:25 PM  
cherimac

Walk

Nothing else. I had my semiannual hair color today. I have a few silver strands and my genius stylist can do a half highlight/lowlight and cover them enough to last for 6 months.

So, funny story. My DD's boyfriend texted yesterday that a member of their college cross country team tested positive for COVID. Austin(BF) is in grad school and is an assistant coach for the team. So, I couldn't work last night. BBW is very strict about exposure. Everyone on the team was rapid tested and only two other people were positive. Austin wasn't one of them. The BBW manager wanted me to get tested yesterday, but no one had appointemnts. Oddly enough, the tests are free if you have insurance, and cost if you don't. Makes sense, lol. Anyway, I didn't spend my money on testing (we only have a shared ministry type of insurance) since Austin was negative.

Carol~I wish Lisa had individual workouts to purchase...or even series like Toned in 10 and Rapid Results.
Old 10-08-20, 06:00 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Wednesday's workout -

Kelly Coffey Meyer - 30 MTF Start Here, Workout #2 - 30 minutes

This was purely weights, 2 sets of 16 reps, with a decent recovery time since Kelly alternated exercises. I found a Beginner rotation for KCM's DVDs and I might do those for a while for something different. I haven't done KCM in a long time.

Cheri - My assistant texted me last night - she had a friend over for dinner Sunday night (plus her live in boy friend works closely with this same person) and he went for testing yesterday. We have strict rules as well - if he tests positive then she'll be home for 14 days; right now she's home until his test results come back because we treat that like an exposure. And watch out, those rapid tests do have a higher rate of false negatives. Lisa does have 4 or 5 series available to purchase, but they are the "themed" sets - none that I'm interested in. I would love to buy her 5 Minutes More videos, especially the ones with the band; I want that stretch.

Linda - In reality I'm using pretty light weights for everything. 8 lb dumbbells are about my max these days. Lauren seems to take the Cathe approach - if 2 different bicep exercises are good, then 3 or 4 different exercises are even better! And while we're at it, let's do 3 or 4 sets with 15 reps of them as well. I do like pyramid weight workouts better - but you don't see as many of those.

Dana - I don't remember about any Black Friday type specials from Jessica, although there may have been one.

Donna - Nice job! I almost did that Jessica Smith HIIT walking workout, but got distracted yesterday. I have way too many streaming subscriptions and have already set some of those up to not renew when the time comes.

Happy Thursday! Tomorrow is an in service day for us and holiday for the kids and then Monday is a holiday for all. 6 weeks until our week long Thanksgiving holiday! But who's counting.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 08:17 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I got my walk in w/ DD and doggie. So far, so good on the daily walking!

Today, so far, has been:

Faithful Workouts/Fruit of the Spirit - Cardio/Sculpt Beginner workout - "Love" - I enjoyed this one - it was an endurance workout w/ light weights/high reps and it felt somehow more "organized" than some of Michelle's other workouts where sometimes i feel like she tries to do too much in too little time. But this one seemed well thought out. I don't know if it is available on her premium site or if this is just available to those who purchased the FOTS program.

I am still not sure if I'm going to follow this program all the way through, taking it one step at a time.

I also did:

Trifecta Pilates - Short Classic Flow
Jessica Valent Pilates - Routine for Neck Pain

Carol - ooh -would you mind sharing that rotation? Like Dana, I'm in a workout slump - nothing really appeals to me - I want something different, but i"m not sure what that is - and it has been ages since I pulled out something from KCM. I was looking at various Gilad rotations, but nothing is really speaking to me these days.

Cheri - Glad you got your hair colored - can you go back to work since Austin was negative?

Waves, everyone -

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote