Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-13, 07:39 PM  
gigi

Hard Strikes

Well, now that I've actually done the workout, I found it a little bit of a yawner. A lot of jump roping in place....a WHOLE lot. The conditioning was hard as I'm sore from Burn Sets and it moved fast so I liked it o.k. I'll do it a couple more times to see how I feel but I'm a little bit disappointed. It looked better on preview but I did a lot of fast forwarding and missed a lot of the jump roping in place I guess.
Old 01-04-13, 08:22 PM  
workoutjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
Well, now that I've actually done the workout, I found it a little bit of a yawner. A lot of jump roping in place....a WHOLE lot. The conditioning was hard as I'm sore from Burn Sets and it moved fast so I liked it o.k. I'll do it a couple more times to see how I feel but I'm a little bit disappointed. It looked better on preview but I did a lot of fast forwarding and missed a lot of the jump roping in place I guess.
Well that's disappointing. Besides the jump roping, it was mostly boxing though, right? Not kickboxing? Do you have KCM's TLC? I do and think it's fun, was hoping Hard Strikes would be similar.

I hope to try it this weekend, but now I'm not so anxious to.
workoutjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 08:36 PM  
Fitstick

This is the one I was most looking forward to! I hope I like it, I will try it this weekend!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 09:06 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by workoutjunkie View Post
Well that's disappointing. Besides the jump roping, it was mostly boxing though, right? Not kickboxing? Do you have KCM's TLC? I do and think it's fun, was hoping Hard Strikes would be similar.

I hope to try it this weekend, but now I'm not so anxious to.
I do have TLC and if I remember correctly I like that o.k. when I'm in the mood for it. TLC seems to have more energy or something. There is minimal kicking in Hard Strikes but I wouldn't call it boxing exactly. There are a lot of upper body moves and punches, some fast feet work, and "aerobics" for lack of a better word. Something was lacking for me with Hard Strikes and I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it. I'm not giving up on it quite yet. I was just disappointed b/c I really thought this one would be the "star" workout of the series for me.

I will be interested to hear how others are liking Hard Strikes.
Old 01-04-13, 09:17 PM  
Irisg1

Angela, just wondering, did you use boxing gloves? I plan to use weighted gloves, but I wasn't crazy about the look of this workout. It seems like a hi-low workout to me, which I've never cared for, but I am hoping to feel otherwise once I do it .
Old 01-04-13, 09:18 PM  
workoutjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
I do have TLC and if I remember correctly I like that o.k. when I'm in the mood for it. TLC seems to have more energy or something. There is minimal kicking in Hard Strikes but I wouldn't call it boxing exactly. There are a lot of upper body moves and punches, some fast feet work, and "aerobics" for lack of a better word. Something was lacking for me with Hard Strikes and I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it. I'm not giving up on it quite yet. I was just disappointed b/c I really thought this one would be the "star" workout of the series for me.

I will be interested to hear how others are liking Hard Strikes.
Hmm....thanks for the additional details. I'll definitely report back after I try it.
workoutjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 09:20 PM  
alydinva

I will say that Hard Strikes has been the most disappointing for me so far, but I did not do the conditioning section (I'm following the 90 day undulating rotation).

I think that it was too many jumping jacks and not enough punching (I am not physically limited by the jumping jacks - I just find them boring). There was definitely some punching in there, just not enough, or maybe just not the right combinations for me.

With that said, I didn't hate it and I don't think I will be dreading it next week. I could see myself swapping it out for different cardio later in the rotation, but I am easily bored. I did like the length, as the it was less than 40 minutes!

Cedie did look cute, though. You could tell that she was really concentrating.
alydinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 09:24 PM  
mle777

I agree. It was one of the ones that I was looking the most forward to. I did it yesterday morning and found myself watching the clock, a lot. I didn't like all the jumping and it was just lacking enthusiasm for me or maybe I was lacking enthusiasm for it

I've tried three others (Chest, Bis, and Cardio Leg Blast) and they were all hits with me. I guess 1 dud out of 4 isn't horrible. I will try this one a couple more times. Hopefully it will grow on me

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 09:24 PM  
dela

Gigi, I had a similar response to you, what frustrated me I guess was that the punching combos that were there I had fun with and wanted more, but there just were not enough punching combos and WAY too much of the jumping, especially too many jumping jacks. I feel I will do this again, but I may try to get creative with this and replace some of the jumping jacks with kicking.

I have not done the conditioning part yet, that looked good to me on preview, and I think in keeping with the theme, I could combo the conditioning section with a Les Mills Combat workout.

I love the idea of the tabatas on the heavy bag, but I don't have a heavy bag (yet).
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-13, 09:25 PM  
isebelleg44

That's too bad. Is it anything like Cathe's old Cardio Kicks? I actually like that one, even though it seems more hi lo than kickbox.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, hard strikes, xtrain, xtrain reviews