Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-12, 03:48 PM  
lrb04

Eye fit, Thanks for detail lesson. Kathryn, boiling water now, I hope everything gets better for you! So sorry about your furry friend.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 05:28 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Thanks for the explanation Eyefit (I'm sure Dr. "Politically Incorrect" mentioned most of this, but I may not have been paying enough attention).

How long does it usually take for the gel goop to detach, and is there any way to encourage it to to so safely? (This has been going on for over a month and a half, and that dang "pre-floating" floater is right smack in the middle of my field of vision half the time: when I look up, it looks like it's going down, and vice versa; when I look left, it looks like it's going right, and vice versa.)

Is the "curtain" you're refering to a very obvious "blank area"? I don't have anything like that, just the "smudged glasses" type of blur (the day I noticed this thing, I had taken my glasses off three times to clean them, until I realized the "smudge" wasn't on my glasses, but in my eye! Then I went to the emergency room later that day to get it checked out).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 06:37 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I would say within a few months at most you would have some sort of resolution either way. Most of the time when I see patients either the PVD is already complete or if it is an incomplete one they aren't symptomatic. Which is what worries me about yours...that your having symptoms makes me think there is some traction there which could lead to a tear. Just remember to get in within 12 hours if possible if you see the flashes or additional floaters. Make sure you go to your eyedoctor too. I swear, the walk-in clinics and ER's are completely useless when it comes to eye problems. I can't tell you how many patients I've seen with eye problems that were totally misdiagnosed at the walk in and given the wrong drop or whatever. So frustrating! Anyway, tangent...

The veil/curtain thing...well since I've never had it myself it's hard to describe but I had one patient describe it where she felt like her lid was drooping (losing vision toward the top of her visual field) and when she looked in the mirror it wasn't! It'll happen in just that one eye so make sure you cover the good eye to check. Quite often the good eye will mask problems in the bad eye. That's another weird thing...I've had alot of patients come in who had no idea they were going blind in one eye because the other eye made up for it! They sit in my chair, I have them cover one eye, and they about freak out! Crazy stuff!
Old 03-23-12, 08:32 PM  
cristinalatina

I appreciate very much the time you've taken to write this detailed explanation, eyefit!

Kathryn sweetheart, keep your doctor's phone number handy and check daily until this passes. Everything will be okay. I am sorry that you're going trough this difficult time, but this is a priority, and being in contact with a doctor you can trust is essential! I am sending you much love and hope and pray this is nothing to worry about! Hugs from your friend!
Old 03-23-12, 08:37 PM  
cristinalatina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post

What is up with doctors that act like that? My rheumatologist sees people who are in pain all day long and he's always making stupid jokes or talking about politics! He loves to make one hand like a claw, and roll his eyes to heaven and say "Dear God, please make my hand like the other one" and then the good hand pops up into a claw and he laughs his head off. .
?!?!?!

speechless....
Old 03-24-12, 08:06 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Kathryn! (((HUGS)!!!!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-12, 08:45 AM  
Michelle
VF Supporter

Kathryn, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved companion. The other stuff is pretty bad as well. Hope this spring brings a lot of good things into your life.

"You must do what you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-12, 09:10 AM  
poohpeggy

I wondered where you were. I am truly sorry about Bobsie. I hope your eye heals up soon. Take Good Care...Peggy
poohpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 10:12 AM  
workoutjunkie

I've missed you! I'm sure you don't remember me as I'm not a frequent poster, but you have always given me great advice over the years (here and on Cathe's forum). When I came back here after an absence, I noticed you weren't around and wondered where you were, so glad to see you back!

Sorry for all you're going through. I hope things get better.
workoutjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kathryn